PDA

View Full Version : Can NOT find iTunes Playlists on new SB3

lreinstein
2007-12-27, 14:18
I just set up my new SB3 and the slimserver v6.5 at home. I run iTunes software on a QOSMIO Toshiba Laptop which has 2 hard drives. iTunes and slimserver are installed on C: and all of my music files are stored on D:

I have entered appropriately the directories where the music is stored and the playlists are store (same directory on D:) into the slimserver, and it scanned and found all of my music.

HOWEVER, it does NOT find the iTunes playlists.

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Larry

iPhone
2007-12-27, 19:23
I just set up my new SB3 and the slimserver v6.5 at home. I run iTunes software on a QOSMIO Toshiba Laptop which has 2 hard drives. iTunes and slimserver are installed on C: and all of my music files are stored on D:

I have entered appropriately the directories where the music is stored and the playlists are store (same directory on D:) into the slimserver, and it scanned and found all of my music.

HOWEVER, it does NOT find the iTunes playlists.

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Larry

Hello Larry,

Try going into the settings of SlimServer on the PC and check the iTunes Playlist box. Then close SS, reboot, and start SS again and it should bring them over. It should just be a setting thing since it is seeing all the music. I would tell you exactly where but I am on my iPhone and not infront of my Server. Let me know if you do not find it or if somebody else does not tell you where and I will PM it to you.

Regards, Keith

lreinstein
2007-12-27, 20:51
i am not sure what you mean. there are several places in the slimserver (6.5.4) that refer to itunes playlist and ask for the directory. but i do not see a check box.

Siduhe
2007-12-28, 04:14
Getting Itunes Playlists into Slimserver (particularly where the playlists are stored on a different drive from the one that Slimserver is installed on) does appear to be a bit of a dark art.

I'm not clear from your post, do you want to use Itunes to manage your music library and Slimserver to take all its info from Itunes? Or do you want Slimserver to create its own database and to merge this with ITunes?

The first of these is the easier route I believe. From the FAQ (http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#troubleshooting-itunes-windows):

Make the Slimserver Music Library folder the one that your current Itunes .xml file is stored in, not the actual music folder the files are in. Click Change. Click the refresh button in the browser. Go back into Server Settings and select the'Use iTunes' option, click Change again. Then do a full clear and rescan.

Your iTunes playlists should show up under Saved Playlists on the player and in the web interface.

The other way is to make the Slimserver Music Library folder the folder where your files are, and enter the location of your Itunes.xml file and the music folder in Slimserver Settings / Itunes. Change the option to "include all songs". Save and do a full clear and rescan.

However, some people find with this set up that their playlists don't show up, particuarly where the playlists are on a different path to Itunes and Slimserver.

The wiki notes that some Windows users have successfully fixed their problems in this area by stopping the SlimServer service and running slim.exe, performing a library scan and then reverting to the SlimServer service.

Other people have reported they can get their iTunes playlists to show by reinputting the location of their iTunes Music Library .xml file in Server Settings->iTunes->iTunes Music Library.xml Location.

It is also worth checking that you are using the correct file path for your iTunes Music Library file. Some people have reported finding two or more versions on their hard drive. If you cannot get playlists to work, search for all .xml files and try inputting each of them in turn at Server Settings->iTunes->iTunes Music Library.xml Location.

lreinstein
2007-12-28, 22:33
Siduhe

Thank you so much for your response. I hope you dont mind if I follow up with some additional questions. I really need some advice on the logistics of this whole thing. I have much of my music collection on iTunes on my laptop and synched to a 60GB IPOD. Now that I have SB3 and am purchasing some better audio equipment, I would like to consider ripping my music again in a lossless format such as Apple Lossless or FLAC. I am confused about how to approach this. If I simply rip this into ITUNES then it will probably overload my IPOD memory. SO I may want to keep my compressed mp3's for the IPOD, and the lossless versions of the same CD's for my home stereo. But, how can i keep these both in iTUnes? Can i set up seperate iTunes accounts on the same computer? The advantage of having it all in iTunes i think is that I can have common playlists and not have to repeat that work.

Or, is there a better approach, such as having a completely different program for ripping and retrieving my lossless versions for the home stereo? THen, can i compress these and send them to my iTunes folder? If so, what software would you recommend for this?

some additional replies to your comments are below!

====================================

Getting Itunes Playlists into Slimserver (particularly where the playlists are stored on a different drive from the one that Slimserver is installed on) does appear to be a bit of a dark art.

I'm not clear from your post, do you want to use Itunes to manage your music library and Slimserver to take all its info from Itunes? Or do you want Slimserver to create its own database and to merge this with ITunes?

GIVEN MY COMMENTS ABOVE, WHICH WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?

The first of these is the easier route I believe. From the FAQ:

Make the Slimserver Music Library folder the one that your current Itunes .xml file is stored in, not the actual music folder the files are in. Click Change. Click the refresh button in the browser. Go back into Server Settings and select the'Use iTunes' option, click Change again. Then do a full clear and rescan.

I THINK HAVING ITUNES ON C DRIVE WITH MUSIC ON D: IS THE PROBLEM. I THINK THERE ARE XML FILES ON C AND ON D. EVEN THOUGH I TELL SLIMSERVER TO LOOK ON D: IT SEEMS TO GET CONFUSED.

Your iTunes playlists should show up under Saved Playlists on the player and in the web interface.

The other way is to make the Slimserver Music Library folder the folder where your files are, and enter the location of your Itunes.xml file and the music folder in Slimserver Settings / Itunes. Change the option to "include all songs". Save and do a full clear and rescan.

However, some people find with this set up that their playlists don't show up, particuarly where the playlists are on a different path to Itunes and Slimserver.

The wiki notes that some Windows users have successfully fixed their problems in this area by stopping the SlimServer service and running slim.exe, performing a library scan and then reverting to the SlimServer service.

NOT SURE HOW TO RUN SLIM.EXE

THANKS AGAIN

LARRY

Other people have reported they can get their iTunes playlists to show by reinputting the location of their iTunes Music Library .xml file in Server Settings->iTunes->iTunes Music Library.xml Location.

It is also worth checking that you are using the correct file path for your iTunes Music Library file. Some people have reported finding two or more versions on their hard drive. If you cannot get playlists to work, search for all .xml files and try inputting each of them in turn at Server Settings->iTunes->iTunes Music Library.xml Location.

rambeaux
2007-12-29, 18:01
To run slim.exe, select start, run and enter 'cmd'. This will open a command prompt (dos) window. The easiest way to run it here is to browse to your Program Files/SlimServer/server folder, and drag the slim.exe into the command prompt window.

I have been having trouble, but finally got my iTunes playlists to show up. (I really really don't want to maintain lists in two places, and the web interface is pretty much unusable, IMO -- I am excited that using iTunes is now an option, so the squeezebox is not just sitting there...)

I'm not sure they're working 100%, though. -- it's seeing them, but not updates.

I have the same issue, where the library file is on c, and the mp3s are on another drive. I copied them to the other drive, and it started working.

Don't forget to tell iTunes about the new location. Hold shift down when launching, and it'll prompt you for your library. Browse to the copy on your other drive, and you should be good. edit a playlist and check the date on the itunes file to make sure it's working...

As for your lossless/mp3 quandary, that's an odd one. If you want mp3s on your iPod, you need them in iTunes. You don't want ot have two copies in iTunes -- that's just a pain. If you want lossless for your stereo, it's best to have it in a separate folder that iTunes doesn't know about. ...or have duplicates in iTunes, and just sync the mp3's to your iPod.

lreinstein
2007-12-29, 19:42
To run slim.exe, select start, run and enter 'cmd'. This will open a command prompt (dos) window. The easiest way to run it here is to browse to your Program Files/SlimServer/server folder, and drag the slim.exe into the command prompt window.

I have been having trouble, but finally got my iTunes playlists to show up. (I really really don't want to maintain lists in two places, and the web interface is pretty much unusable, IMO -- I am excited that using iTunes is now an option, so the squeezebox is not just sitting there...)

I'm not sure they're working 100%, though. -- it's seeing them, but not updates.

I have the same issue, where the library file is on c, and the mp3s are on another drive. I copied them to the other drive, and it started working.

Don't forget to tell iTunes about the new location. Hold shift down when launching, and it'll prompt you for your library. Browse to the copy on your other drive, and you should be good. edit a playlist and check the date on the itunes file to make sure it's working...

As for your lossless/mp3 quandary, that's an odd one. If you want mp3s on your iPod, you need them in iTunes. You don't want ot have two copies in iTunes -- that's just a pain. If you want lossless for your stereo, it's best to have it in a separate folder that iTunes doesn't know about. ...or have duplicates in iTunes, and just sync the mp3's to your iPod.

MY ITUNES PLAYLISTS ARE NOW FOUND! It turns out that even though my music is stored on my D: drive, the iTunes software (which is on C) locates the XML file on the C: drive. once i figured that out everything worked fine.

As to having a seperate folder for lossless files that I do NOT synch to itunes, how do i ask slimserver to scan both of these music folders/libraries? wont it get confused? or can it handle it ok?

Larry

rambeaux
2007-12-29, 23:00
I'm not a pro, so I'll defer to those who know better, but I assume slimserver only looks in one folder.

iTunes will look at both, but don't you want only lossless files for your audiophile system (squeezebox)?

moley6knipe
2007-12-31, 07:37
I'm in the same boat as you guys.

I use iTunes and a 30Gb iPod. I'm starting to re-rip to Apple lossless; I've got way more music than would fit on my iPod anyway, regardless of whether I use lossless or not, so I figure to change tracks I've got to hook it up anyway - a little more frequently because it's lossless is no big problem. Plus I mainly use the thing in the car so reduced battery life isn't really an issue; I don't think the extra drain on power using lossless is a showstopper, myself. The convenience of having one set of files for SS and iTunes far outweighs a little extra battery drain on the move.

To use iTunes with SS; as long as iTunes can see all of your music (and it won't care what drive it's on), and you tell SS to use iTunes, you'll be golden (of course, if you've got several iTunes library.xml files knocking about, SS will need to be told which is the correct one; in Windows by default SS goes for C:\Documents and Settings\<<username>>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes library.xml)

The "playlists" thing is a bit of a red herring - iTunes stores your playlists in the .xml file that SS reads, so to get iTunes playlists into SS you must leave the "Music folder loaction" and "playlist folder location" boxes empty. The "playlists" folder location in SS is for pointing SS to a folder full of .m3u files, for example.

moley6knipe
2007-12-31, 07:41
...and another thought. Read this thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=224348#post224348 for a quick how-to on using iTunes so that SS is fed one set of music, and your iPod is fed another. Nice and easy, and seems to work too!

bartguy
2008-03-09, 10:48
There is no reason you can't rip the files both ways (don't convert from a lossy format like mp3 or aac to a higher quality format, though, it will never sound better than the lowest res version. So you'll have to re-rip.) You can set Squeeze Center to only play checked songs, so just uncheck the lower rez songs in iTunes and you'll only see the better sounding songs on your Squeeze box.

As far as syncing with your iPod, you can create a smart playlist that just screens for your low-rez (and smaller) files and sync your iPod to that playlist. That should keep it from getting overloaded.

Hope that helps.