PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver and playlists

silverarrows
2007-12-27, 11:26
Hi,

I'm new to the Linux part of using Slimserver and have a couple of questions. First, I have Slimserver up and running but unlike in Windows, there is no shortcut or Start menu to launch Slimserver. How can I check the status of Slimserver on Ubuntu or set it? It just seems to turn on when I load Ubuntu.

Also, is there a way to get Slimserver to read playlists by Rhythmbox Music Player the same way it recognizes playsists from iTunes or do I have to create them in Slimserver?

Thanks.

Ashy72
2007-12-27, 11:39
Hi,

I'm new to the Linux part of using Slimserver and have a couple of questions. First, I have Slimserver up and running but unlike in Windows, there is no shortcut or Start menu to launch Slimserver. How can I check the status of Slimserver on Ubuntu or set it? It just seems to turn on when I load Ubuntu.

Also, is there a way to get Slimserver to read playlists by Rhythmbox Music Player the same way it recognizes playsists from iTunes or do I have to create them in Slimserver?

Thanks.

You are correct slimserver automatically starts,to check slimserver status open a terminal then on ubuntu:-

sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver status ....shows the status
sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver stop ....stops slimserver
sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver start ..starts slimserver
sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver restart ...re-starts slimserver

Not sure about Rhythmbox never used it, maybe creating in slimserver would be easier anyway.

Hope this helps, Mark.

Mark Miksis
2007-12-27, 11:44
I don't think the DEB init script supports "status".

Regarding Rhythmbox, I don't use it either. There is no integration like iTunes, but assuming it uses a standard format for playlists they should work fine. Just move them to your playlist dir or point your playlist dir at them. If you move things around, you may need to make sure any paths contained in the playlists are still correct.

Diana
2007-12-27, 12:37
Ashy72 wrote:
<big snip>
> sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver status ....shows the status

Ashley72 >>> In Ubuntu (Debian) this returns

Usage: /etc/init.d/slimserver {start|stop|restart|force-reload}

What distro are you using?

silverarrows
2007-12-27, 17:05
Ashy72 wrote:
<big snip>
> sudo /etc/init.d/slimserver status ....shows the status

Ashley72 >>> In Ubuntu (Debian) this returns

Usage: /etc/init.d/slimserver {start|stop|restart|force-reload}

What distro are you using?

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 right now.

Ashy72
2007-12-29, 06:57
I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 right now.

I am using Gutsy 7.10.

Sorry, I have misled you the status switch doesn't work with the slimserver commands I got confused with another application. However the start / stop / restart ones do work. So you can always stop and start slimserver using these if you need to, I leave mine running all the time.

Regards, Mark.