PDA

View Full Version : Running AAC Plus with SC7

norderney
2007-12-26, 17:01
I have just installed SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 15528 today onto my PC running Windows Vista Ultimate.

I was hoping to configure AAC Plus, so that I can listen to AAC Plus streams.

I have already installed AlienBBC, which is working, so I know MPlayer is installed ok.

I downloaded the following files custom-convert.conf, custom-strings.txt and custom-types.conf from http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AACplus. I put these files into both C:\program files\squeezeCenter and C:\program files\squeezeCenter\server, but I am not getting any audio from the AAC Plus streams. I am getting scrowling text showing the track and artist names relating to the AAC Plus streams.

Have I done something wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

bpa
2007-12-26, 17:14
Does your custom-convert.conf file contain the "#PIPE#" string as per the instruction ?

If so - can you enable logging with player.source set to INFO and copy the log of trying to play a stream to a post.

norderney
2007-12-27, 01:13
The custom-convert.conf file that I downloaded from http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AACplus does not contain the "#PIPE#" string. So I went to edit the fileto add this string but when I came to save the file I just got the following error message:
Cannot create the C:\program File\SqueezeCenter\Custom-Convert.Conf file. Make sure that the path and file name are correct. I am using Windows Vista and edited the file with Notepad.

As I mentioned earlier, I downloaded custom-convert-conf from http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AACplus, so why do I now need to edit it. Are there any files available for download that already have the "#PIPE#" string set correctly?

Thanks for your assistance.

bpa
2007-12-27, 02:19
The attached files are templates for Linux/OSX users. The Wiki instruction says for Windows
- download the attached files and then edit custom-convert.conf.

The instruction were written a while ago. I've been thinking how to make it easier.

Edit the conf file with Wordpad.

Windows Vista has extra protection and a slightly different directory layout so offhand I am not sure where the "custom" files should go. They should go in the same Squeezecenter directory as the existing convert.conf and types.conf files.

norderney
2007-12-27, 02:33
Wordpad wont save the file either. Just says "Access to Custom-convert.conf was denied.

What now. Why will it not let me save these files?

bpa
2007-12-27, 02:48
I think this is what is wrong but I don't have Vista.

Probably because you are a user not authorised to write into the direftory. Vista has separated "code" and "data" directory and users are not allow to write into "code" direcotry. So you will need to login as a more powerful user who installs applications (administrator ?)

norderney
2007-12-27, 13:56
Oh this is turning into a nightmare!!!!!

I have pasted the correct details into Custom-convert.conf. Am I right in thinking that Custom-convert.conf needs to be renamed to convert.conf? I have tried this.

I have also added the appropriate bits to strings.txt and types.conf.

Then rebooted my PC but now Slimserver will not start. The icon in the system tray just says SqueezeCenter Starting and my squeezeBox has an error message saying it can not find Slimserver.

It was working ok before I made these changes.

Why is this so difficult to do? Could this configuration not be included in the main SqueezeCenter software, or failing that could we have an installation program like we have for Alien BBC? When I installed AlienBBC I downloaded 1 install program, ran it and within a few minutes it was installed and working ok.

I am very keen to get this AAC Plus working.

bpa
2007-12-27, 14:35
Parts of the problems stem from using SC7 and Vista. I do not have Vista and this is complicating issues.

It was working ok before I made these changes.

Get rid of the changes and get SC working again. With SC7 I have found a simpler install process which works with Linux - I haven't tested with Windows so I need to do a bit of research.

I can test XP but I can't test Vista - can you provide the full directory path for the Alien Plugins directory as the new solution requires creating a new Plugin directory.

norderney
2007-12-27, 15:20
Hi bpa. Thank you very much for your reply. I do indeed want to get AAC Plus working and I am happy to "test" any procedures you want to try. I very much appreciate your assistance.

In order to get back to a clean state I have uninstalled SC7, rebooted and then re-installed SC7. I then re-installed AlienBBC.

The SC7 install process creates a folder called Squeezecenter in Program Files. It then creates sub directories within Squeezecenter, one of which is called Server.

If you select the Server folder you then get to a folder called Plugins. If you go to this Plugins folder, you will find a sub directory called Alien :-
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is 08DA-E924

Directory of C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Plugins

27/12/2007 22:16 <DIR> .
27/12/2007 22:16 <DIR> ..
27/12/2007 22:02 <DIR> Alien

1 Dir(s) 390,794,772,480 bytes free

If you select the Alien folder you then get a number of files and folders.

Here is the ccontents of the Alien folder:
Volume in drive C is OS
Volume Serial Number is 08DA-E924

Directory of C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Plugins\Alien

27/12/2007 22:02 <DIR> .
27/12/2007 22:02 <DIR> ..
27/12/2007 21:55 <DIR> Addons
29/08/2007 12:32 1,646 custom-convert.conf
29/08/2007 12:32 1,567 custom-convert.conf.alt
19/04/2007 19:20 431 custom-types.conf
27/12/2007 21:55 <DIR> Default
27/12/2007 21:55 <DIR> HTML
18/11/2007 16:36 603 install.xml
27/12/2007 21:55 <DIR> Parsers
27/12/2007 21:55 <DIR> Playlists
27/11/2007 20:53 7,237 Plugin.pm
11/11/2007 11:32 2,123 RTSP.pm
22/11/2007 22:28 3,558 Settings.pm
11/11/2007 11:32 2,051 StartTime.pm
29/09/2007 12:59 2,410 strings.txt
9 File(s) 21,626 bytes
7 Dir(s) 390,826,532,864 bytes free

If you need any more information from me please let me know.

Thanks

Andrew Smith

bpa
2007-12-27, 16:23
I haven't tested this with Windows but it works with SC7 on Linux.
This method only works in SC7.

Essentially in SC7 - if there are "custom" files in a directory in the Plugins folder - they will be read. This avoids having to edit the AlienBBC "custom" file.

1. Stop Slimserver.

2. Attached is a zip file of a directory called AACplus which has 3 "custom" files needed for Windows. Download the attached file and then unzip the file so that you have a directory called

C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Plugins\AACplus

and in this directory there are just the files custom-convert.conf, custom-types.conf and custom-strings.txt

3. Start Slimserver
4. Check In Server Settings/Advanced/Filetypes you have 3 entries for AACplus.

norderney
2007-12-27, 17:29
Hi Bpa. Thank you very much for your help.

AACplus is WORKING perfectly on SC7 running with Windows Vista!!!

Putting those 3 files in the AACplus folder like you suggested worked perfectly.

Just exploring the wonderful world of AACplus radio. It's nice to actually hear good quality internet radio at last.

Thanks again.

bpa
2007-12-27, 17:31
Here is a good source of AACplus streams but you'll need to dig a bit to get the URL.

http://tuner2.com/index.html

Only the "live" streams work.

NFLnut
2008-01-22, 20:31
I followed all of the steps in the AAC wiki and in this thread. I edited all three of the concerned files, and I also created the AACplus folder in plugins and added the custom files there. I also have had the BBC plugin operating perfectly for about 4 months. Still, with all of these steps, I can't get AAC+ streams (e.g. Shoutcast, etc) to play. The most I get is: "Connecting" and occasionally I will get a quick one-second reading of the analog VU meters, and I almost always can see the song title on the Slimserver web page, but I never get audio. Again, the BBC plugin works fine.

Any suggestions?

BTW -- as to the URL's of the streams on the tuner2 site .. just right-click the "Live radio" button and choose "Copy Link Location" (You may already know that though).

bpa
2008-01-23, 01:38
The wiki was written for 6.3 and 6.5.1 so it needs to be updated for SC7. I have been putting this off as there have been changes to SC7 which would have meant updating the Wiki often with reviusion specific instructions.

Some SC7 file organisation changes have happened since this thread was written but I think SC7 is now stable enough to update the wiki.

From your description it looks like something wrong with mplayer.

What OS are you running ?
What rev of SC 7 ?
What version of AlienBBC have you installed ?
What is the full path of where mplayer is installed ?

I have never tried a Shoutcast AACplus stream - please use the the test URLs as you may be introducing a second problem. I know how the test URLs behave and especially the MIME info they send.

The methods described in post #10 is the cleanest for SC7. So revert back to the installation conf and strings.txt files.

If you are using Windows follow the instructions for post #10 to get the system into a known configuration. Now describe the symptoms when playing a station.

If you are not using Windows - there needs to be a mod depending on the OS.

NFLnut
2008-01-23, 14:11
Thanks! I got it working with your help. (Sometimes, you have to take the blind back to the water hole they almost drowned in before they'll drink .. ;-D )

One other thing that helped is that I used the new AlienBBC installer for SqueezeCenter and I think that helped to clean things up a bit. I probably had some file in the wrong place somewhere from my manual install.

vinnielo
2008-02-21, 13:57
I haven't tested this with Windows but it works with SC7 on Linux.
This method only works in SC7.

Essentially in SC7 - if there are "custom" files in a directory in the Plugins folder - they will be read. This avoids having to edit the AlienBBC "custom" file.

1. Stop Slimserver.

2. Attached is a zip file of a directory called AACplus which has 3 "custom" files needed for Windows. Download the attached file and then unzip the file so that you have a directory called

C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Plugins\AACplus

and in this directory there are just the files custom-convert.conf, custom-types.conf and custom-strings.txt

3. Start Slimserver
4. Check In Server Settings/Advanced/Filetypes you have 3 entries for AACplus.

I've tested this with Mac OS's SqueezeCenter and it doesn't quite work. Note that I have AlienBBC and mplayer can successfully transcode the RealPlayer streams.

This is what I see in settings / file types:
AACplus .... FLAC, mp3, WAV
The selection boxes beside all three say "Disabled"

Whenever I try to use mplayer with these types, I get the following returned:

Required binary was not found: mplayer for aap-flc-*-*
Required binary was not found: mplayer for aap-mp3-*-*
Required binary was not found: mplayer for aap-wav-*-*

Has anyone successfully enabled aacPlus decoding on SC7 on the Mac?

bpa
2008-02-21, 14:22
OSX installation needs some special tweaks to find "mplayer".

To overcome this and avoid the need to modify conf files - I have put together a AACplus "plugin" - although it is not really a plugin but using the plugin layout enables separate conf files and a Bin directory for AACplus. The Bin directory has an mplayer.sh like AlienBBC which is used to "find" mplayer.

I'll post the "plugin" shortly and update the wiki instructions.

vinnielo
2008-02-22, 08:25
I've gone into my custom-convert.conf file and swapped the lines for the Linux version but I'm still having trouble selecting mplayer in the settings.

I'm guessing there's more I need to do than simply changing these?

bpa
2008-02-25, 09:48
This plugin should only be used up to 7.3.2. From 7.3.3 AACplus is part of standard SC and so do not install this plugin

For SC7, to simplify installation of AACplus support, I have created a plugin. It is a "holder" and does nothing but enables all the AACplus files to have their own directories and so editing of conf or strings.txt files is no longer needed.

Mplayer is required to decode the AACplus streams and can be downloaded from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

Feedback on the installation instructions (especially for different Linux distros and OSX) is needed so the Wiki can be updated.

For slow AACplus streams (e.g. 48k,64k) - the track titles will appear on the SB displayed but they are delayed by around 5 minutes

Windows Installation.
1. Download the AACplusWin.zip file
2. Unzip the contents so that in the SC7 directory server/Plugins/AACplus there is a Plugin.pm and a Bin directory.
3. If you do not have AlienBBC installed ort mplayer in another Bin directpory of SC7 do the following
a. Download the non-GUI version of mplayer from http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32/MPlayer-mingw32-1.0rc2.zip
b. Unzip so that there is mplayer.exe in server/Plugins/AACplus/Bin
4. Restart Slimserver and check Settings/Advanced/FileTypes that there are AACplus entries and they are enabled.
5. Test

Linux/OSX Installation
1. Download the AACplusLinux.tar.gz file
2. Unzip the contents so that in the SC7 directory Plugins/AACplus there is a Plugin.pm and a Bin directory. Make sure files have correct ownership and permissions especially aacpmplayer.sh in AACplus/Bin - it must be executable.
3. Install mplayer if you do not have mplayer installed. Use standard OSX mplayer install as th AACplus plugin should find the correct mplayer.
4. Restart Slimserver and check Settings/Advanced/FileTypes that there are AACplus entries and they are enabled.
5. Test

vinnielo
2008-02-25, 09:59
Tested on the Mac.
aacPlus streams now successfully play.
Thanks, Bryan!

IceFusion
2008-02-25, 15:13
Linux/OSX Installation
2. Unzip the contents so that in the SC7 directory Plugins/AACplus there is a Plugin.pm and a Bin directory. Make sure files have correct ownership and permissions especially aacpmplayer.sh in AACplus/Bin - it must be executable.
3. Install mplayer if you do not have mplayer installed. Use standard OSX mplayer install as th AACplus plugin should find the correct mplayer.

so far so good, but the AACplus entries in Settings are all disabled, and won't allow enabling (i.e. clicking Apply does not save).

server.log says:

[08-02-25 15:01:36.3722] Slim::Player::Source::openSong (1735) Error: Couldn't create command line for aap playback for [http://<IP address>/cpr1_aac]

IceFusion
2008-02-25, 15:18
never mind. fixed my permissions on aacpmplayer.sh. working great.

though what transcoding is appropriate? am using flac, but that's likely overkill...

bpa
2008-02-25, 15:20
The entries disabled means SQueezeCenter either can't find or access aacmplayer.sh or it is not marked executable. The aacmplayer.sh file should be in the AACplus/Bin directory.

Did you check the permissions on aacpmplayer.sh to make it is accessible to the user id which runs squeezecenter and that aacmplayer.sh is executable ?

bpa
2008-02-25, 15:23
Cross post.

Flac will ensure you get the quality delivered by the stream. If you chose an AAC+ stream for quality - recompressing into MP3 may result in losing that quality. Unless bandwidth is a problem - it is generally not desireable to transcode a lossy format into another lossy format.

jbloggs
2008-05-09, 04:28
Do pardon my inquiry if it sounds a bit on the stupid side!

I already have AlienBBC installed, with mplayer etc (used the install pack for SqueezeCenter 7.0), I downloaded the AACplusWin.zip file, which contains ACCplusWin folder containing a "ACCplusWin" file of 3.04KB, I have put the folder ACCplusWin (containing the ACCplusWin file) into C:\Program Files (x86)\SqueezeCenter\Server\Plugins, however what I don't understand is how I get the "Plugin.pm and a Bin directory" (Step 2 of instructions) into .....\Server\Plugins\ACCplusWin folder?

I am using Vista Business 64 bit.

How do I accomplish this, so I can get accPlus streams to work?

Thanks.

bpa
2008-05-09, 04:49
The folder "ACCplusWin"is still a zip file - you need to unzip it and there you will find the contents of PLugin.pm etc.

If you downloaded the AACplusWin.zip file using IE 6 or IE7, they usually compress the AACplusWin.zip file into a GZ file. Why it does this is not clear (it doesn't happen with Firefox) but it adds the extra layer which has to be unzipped.

jbloggs
2008-05-09, 07:02
The folder "ACCplusWin"is still a zip file - you need to unzip it and there you will find the contents of PLugin.pm etc.

If you downloaded the AACplusWin.zip file using IE 6 or IE7, they usually compress the AACplusWin.zip file into a GZ file. Why it does this is not clear (it doesn't happen with Firefox) but it adds the extra layer which has to be unzipped.

I was downloading the zipped file with IE7, and this was the cause of my problem, downloaded with Firefox, and the other files/folder now appears in ACCplus...AACplus shows up in File Types, and feeds do work now.

Thanks...

lowjumpingfrog
2008-08-08, 08:21
I am using SC7.2 from the testing main trunk on Ubuntu Hardy Heron. I think I followed Bpa's instructions correctly. The plugin is installed in the correct directory, permissions match the process launch user (squeezecenter:nogroup) and the aacpmplayer.sh has the execute bit set. The SC server log shows this message:
Slim::Utils::PluginManager::enablePlugins (408) Couldn't load Plugins::AACplus::Plugin. Error: Plugin is incompatible with this version of SqueezeCenter. Please update.
The File Format shows correctly in the SC Settings: Advanced-> File Types but the decoder select boxes are ghosted/grey and not functional. I tried putting the conf files in /etc/squeezecenter and removed the plugin. The plugin error goes away (of course) and the decoder select boxes are enabled but the File Format does not list AAC Plus but shows mplayer as enable for the File Format that is missing in that column. In this configuration AAC Streams do not work. Mplayer will play streams correctly when launched from the command line. Could someone feed me a clue? I am happy to change plugins but I am rather new to Squeezecenter. Thanks to all on this forum, I would be totally lost with your support.
Cheers

bpa
2008-08-08, 08:28
Edit AACplus plugin install.xml (use Wordpad if you are running Windows) and changed the Maxversion from 7.0.+ to *. Then restart SC.

As follows

<maxVersion>*</maxVersion>

lowjumpingfrog
2008-08-08, 08:58
Great, that did it! I guess I need to dig a bit deeper next time. Streaming aacplus now works - Thanks! Is this plugin suppose to handle m4a files as well? It seems like it does not since the Decoder select boxes for File Type Apple AAC or Movie File are ghost/grey. I guess I can still do the trans-coding thing?

Ok ... answered my own question (dig deeper thing) ... in another post you made reference to custom-convert.conf having this stuff:
# Transcoding for AAC files.
mov flc * *
[faad] -w -f 2 $FILE$ | [flac] -cs --totally-silent --compression-level-0 --endian little --sign signed --channels 2 --bps 16 --sample-rate 44100 -

mov mp3 * *
[faad] -w -f 2 $FILE$ | [lame] --resample 44100 --silent -q $QUALITY$ -b $BITRATE$ -r - -

mov wav * *
[faad] -w -f 2 $FILE$
I think the custom-convert.conf that came with the tarball did not have this? Not sure now, too much coffee and not enough beer.
Cheers

bpa
2008-08-08, 09:15
AACplus is NOT AAC.

You need to change different setting for MOV in convert.conf to handle AAC. Look up the Wiki.

Ptaku
2008-08-23, 03:28
I just did like you wrote but my friend can listen to: http://87.98.223.167:8000/ but its not working for me att all.
On my squezzbox i get RMF FM but is not playing.....

For SC7, to simplify installation of AACplus support, I have created a plugin. It is a "holder" and does nothing but enables all the AACplus files to have their own directories and so editing of conf or strings.txt files is no longer needed.

Mplayer is required to decode the AACplus streams and can be downloaded from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

Feedback on the installation instructions (especially for different Linux distros and OSX) is needed so the Wiki can be updated.

For slow AACplus streams (e.g. 48k,64k) - the track titles will appear on the SB displayed but they are delayed by around 5 minutes

Windows Installation.
1. Download the AACplusWin.zip file
2. Unzip the contents so that in the SC7 directory server/Plugins/AACplus there is a Plugin.pm and a Bin directory.
3. If you do not have AlienBBC installed ort mplayer in another Bin directpory of SC7 do the following
a. Download the non-GUI version of mplayer from http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32/MPlayer-mingw32-1.0rc2.zip
b. Unzip so that there is mplayer.exe in server/Plugins/AACplus/Bin
5. Test

Linux/OSX Installation
5. Test

Davos
2008-08-23, 03:45
I am also having trouble getting the above method to include aac plus in the 'file types' menu using the above instructions. I'm running SqueezeCemter 7.1. Any suggestions?

bpa
2008-08-23, 09:21
Please provide system info as instructions can vary depending on your configuration.

1. What OS are you using ? Give processor if you are using OSX or Linux.
2. What version of SC ?

After plugin installation and SC restart - check

If you are running 7.1 and you just installed the plugins you will need to edit the install.xml file to enable the plugin to run on 7.1. I've attached to this post updated plugins which have updated install.xml. After changin install.xml or updating the plugin - restart SC.

Check list.

1. Check Settings/Plugins - there should be an AACplus entry and it should be enabled.

If there is no AACplus entry then the AACplus plugin was probably installed in the wrong directory. If the AACplus plugin is not enabled then there is some incompatibility that needs to be identified.

2. Check Settings/Advanced/File Types. There should be 3 entries for AACplus. At least the WAV and Flac entries must be enabled.

If there are no AACplus entries then installation of AACplus plugin is faulty.

On Windows if the AACplus Filetypes are not enabled then mplayer is not installed in the correct directory.

3. When testing a AACplus URL using Tune-in - if elapsed time increments but no audio then on Linux mplayer is not installed properly.

Ptaku
2008-08-23, 09:45
I have Windows XP and I was trying on SC6.5 and SC7.1 (with edit on install.xml fil) without any luck. Maybe you have some others plugin who helps you to play aacplus URL. I have on my computer only Winamp. WMP and DiVX player install.....nothing more.

Please provide system info as instructions can vary depending on your configuration.

1. What OS are you using ? Give processor if you are using OSX or Linux.
2. What version of SC ?

After plugin installation and SC restart - check

If you are running 7.1 and you just installed the plugins you will need to edit the install.xml file to enable the plugin to run on 7.1. I've attached to this post updated plugins which have updated install.xml. After changin install.xml or updating the plugin - restart SC.

Check list.

1. Check Settings/Plugins - there should be an AACplus entry and it should be enabled.

If there is no AACplus entry then the AACplus plugin was probably installed in the wrong directory. If the AACplus plugin is not enabled then there is some incompatibility that needs to be identified.

2. Check Settings/Advanced/File Types. There should be 3 entries for AACplus. At least the WAV and Flac entries must be enabled.

If there are no AACplus entries then installation of AACplus plugin is faulty.

On Windows if the AACplus Filetypes are not enabled then mplayer is not installed in the correct directory.

3. When testing a AACplus URL using Tune-in - if elapsed time increments but no audio then on Linux mplayer is not installed properly.

bpa
2008-08-23, 10:01
Ptaku.

None of the AACplus plugins will work for SS6.5.

The plugin on post #19 will not work for SC 7.1 without change to install.xml

I attached to previous post the AACplus plugin for 7.x which will work for 7.1.

Have you installed mplayer ?

Ptaku
2008-08-23, 10:50
Ptaku.

None of the AACplus plugins will work for SS6.5.

The plugin on post #19 will not work for SC 7.1 without change to install.xml

I attached to previous post the AACplus plugin for 7.x which will work for 7.1.

Have you installed mplayer ?

Yes I know, then I have install SC7.1 with change install.xml , but still no luck.
Yes, I have mplayer in BIN catalog, when I start upp "testmplayer.bat" I can hear music.....

bpa
2008-08-23, 11:03
Is AACplus plugin enabled in Settings/Plugins ?

Do you have AACplus entries in Settings/Advanced/Filetypes ?

If you have the AACplus entries are they enabled ?

Ptaku
2008-08-23, 11:22
Is AACplus plugin enabled in Settings/Plugins ?

Do you have AACplus entries in Settings/Advanced/Filetypes ?

If you have the AACplus entries are they enabled ?

Yes, everything is On.....just like my friend has on his computer.We have check my files to his files and everything is the same. STRANGE!!!

When I put " mplayer http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=9631&file=filename.pls" sting in DOS promt ITS PLAYING RMF FM station without problems...

What about "Plugins" should there be mplayer or something about it there ?

bpa
2008-08-23, 11:28
What security software have you installed such as Nporton, McAfee, NOD32 ?

Make sure you have the app socketwrapper.exe marked as a trusted network application. Some security s/w block the operation of socketwrapper.exe which is needed to transcoding.

Ptaku
2008-08-23, 11:30
What security software have you installed such as Nporton, McAfee, NOD32 ?

Make sure you have the app socketwrapper.exe marked as a trusted network application. Some security s/w block the operation of socketwrapper.exe which is needed to transcoding.

I have only Norton 2008, Maybe I have to do something on my router DIR-655 ?
Should I put this fil: socketwrapper.exe in firewall as trusten, manually ?

bpa
2008-08-23, 11:45
If the station plays using mplayer from the same PC as SC then
it cannot be the router.

Have you rebooted Windows ? some strange problems seem to be caused by Windows caching and a reboot clears them. It is worth trying.

To see what is happening, you will need to enable some logging.
Change the settings Settings/Advanced/Logging player.source to INFO and click apply.

Try playing your RMF URL- then open the server.log (see Settings/Status) and copy the recent messages starting with message somehting like

[08-08-23 19:40:23.9753] Slim::Player::Source::resetSong (1744) Resetting song buffer.
[08-08-23 19:40:23.9838] Slim::Player::Source::openSong (1845) Trying to open: http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=9631&file=filename.pls

Copy all messages during the tune-in as sometimes it is missing messages that are important.

Ptaku
2008-08-23, 12:14
If the station plays using mplayer from the same PC as SC then
it cannot be the router.

Have you rebooted Windows ? some strange problems seem to be caused by Windows caching and a reboot clears them. It is worth trying.

To see what is happening, you will need to enable some logging.
Change the settings Settings/Advanced/Logging player.source to INFO and click apply.

Try playing your RMF URL- then open the server.log (see Settings/Status) and copy the recent messages starting with message somehting like

[08-08-23 19:40:23.9753] Slim::Player::Source::resetSong (1744) Resetting song buffer.
[08-08-23 19:40:23.9838] Slim::Player::Source::openSong (1845) Trying to open: http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutcast-playlist.pls?rn=9631&file=filename.pls

Copy all messages during the tune-in as sometimes it is missing messages that are important.

My looks like this after I was trying play RFM FM url:

[08-08-23 20:43:23.0782] Slim::Schema::init (151) Warning: Creating new database - empty database or database from 6.3.x found
[08-08-23 20:45:56.8067] main::checkDataSource (873) Warning: Schema updated or no tracks in the database, initiating scan.
[08-08-23 20:47:45.4936] main::checkDataSource (873) Warning: Schema updated or no tracks in the database, initiating scan.
[08-08-23 20:48:46.6633] main::checkDataSource (873) Warning: Schema updated or no tracks in the database, initiating scan.
[08-08-23 21:06:09.9376] Slim::Player::TranscodingHelper::loadConversionTab les (45) Loading conversion config files...

bpa
2008-08-23, 12:28
Those messages are produced at startup. It looks like you did not enable the logging or you rebooted after changing the logging level.

Logging level will be forgotten after a reboot.

1. Change the logging level of player.source to INFO and click apply.
2. Make a note of the time of day (HH:MM:SS) and then try to play the RMF URL
3. Open log and look at recent messages from the time you tried to play the RMF URL - if you do not get messages like the one I posted previously then logging has not been enabled or your system has some other problem.

Davos
2008-08-23, 17:10
It now works!

Just to follow up my previous problem:
-I'm running XP with squeezecenter 7.1.
-I created the AACplus plugin folder and put mplayer.exe in the bin folder. I tested that it worked with the Testmplayer.bat file. The audio worked.

I still didn't get AACplus to show up in the settings/advanced/file types though, even though it was selected under 'plugins.' I tried restarting Windows to no avail.

To get the plugin to work, I used the updated install.xml file (thanks bpa!) just in case there was an error in the one I modified and closed squeezecenter. I noticed that it was still running under processes though when i pressed ctr+alt+delete. I ended the process and when I started squeezecenter again, voila! a command prompt popped up when I connected to the AACplus stream I had never seen before with information about the stream/bitrate etc.

Thanks for your help bpa!

bpa
2008-08-23, 17:19
Bitrate etc are new to 7.x.

There is a minor problem with AACplus - the info from broadcaster e.g. track playing info) is delayed by 5-10 mins depending on stream rate.

I hope to be able to fix this for SC 7.1 and higher.

Ptaku
2008-08-24, 03:51
Those messages are produced at startup. It looks like you did not enable the logging or you rebooted after changing the logging level.

Logging level will be forgotten after a reboot.

1. Change the logging level of player.source to INFO and click apply.
2. Make a note of the time of day (HH:MM:SS) and then try to play the RMF URL
3. Open log and look at recent messages from the time you tried to play the RMF URL - if you do not get messages like the one I posted previously then logging has not been enabled or your system has some other problem.

NOW IS Working for me too....
RMF FM working very good.

Thanx for all help.

muski
2008-12-12, 12:52
Just tried this with 7.3. It works, though I had to edit the install.xml file to update MaxVersion. I just made it 7.5 and it was fine.

Thanks for this -- beats editing all the config files every time I upgrade.

muski

bpa
2008-12-18, 09:15
The update to AACplus for Squeezecenter 7.3 is ready and can be installed using the Extension Downloader (ED) a new feature of 7.3 which is accessed through Settings/Plugins/Extension Downloader/settings. This makes installation even easier.

The new streaming module of SC 7.3 also fixes the delayed song titles and you can also bitrate limit AACplus streams.

Install instructions for AACplus plugin are below following some explanation about the ED.

About Extension Downloader
The Extension Downloader (ED) is an automated method for installing, updating and removing plugins, applets, InfoBrowser Addons etc from repositories. Currently the public repository is small but it will be expanded to hold popular/recommended plugins etc.

Currently most Plugins are in private repositories and the user will have add URLs to the "Additional Repositories" list. The AACplus is in my repository at URL. URLs for other repositories can be found here http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeCenter_Repositories

Feedback on the functionality, ease of use, shortcoming, problems etc on ED is needed so that it can be improved for the next release.

To install AACplus plugin
1. If you have a version of the AACplus plugin already installed in SC 7.3 then it needs to be deleted and SC restarted SC.
2. Open SC Setting/Plugins/Extension Downloader/Settings
3. Add this URL http://bpaplugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/repo.xml to "Additional Repositories" and click Apply.
4. A list of Plugins should be displayed. Check the box opposite the AACplus plugin and click apply.
5. If Installation is successful - restart SC.

The Extension Downloader does not install plugins into the server/Plugins or the server/Slim/Plugin directory. It will install plugin into a new directory called InstalledPlugin in Sc's cache directory. The path to the SC cache directory can be found on the Settings/Information web page near the bottom of the page.

Using ED is the preferred installation method but if the user really wants to install manually from a zip file then the AACplus plugin is available from the following location
http://code.google.com/p/bpaplugins/downloads/list

jasonwryan
2009-01-16, 12:05
I am running SC7 on Ubuntu 8.10.

I have installed the plugin, as per instructions here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=272774&postcount=19

and have installed mplayer, faad and lame.

When I open Squeezecenter settings > Advanced > File Types I have the following options under AACPlus:

FLAC - aacpmplayer.sh/flac
MP3 - aacpmplayer.sh/lame
WAV - aacpmplayer.sh

As far as I can tell, I should be good to go. However, the tracks refuse to play, giving the error:

[09-01-17 07:55:15.2804] Slim::Player::Song::open (341) Error: Couldn't create command line for mov playback

I have mov123 disabled under file types as per advice here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=226504&postcount=6

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

bpa
2009-01-16, 12:43
Two points

1. What version of SC are you running - Install procedure and version used is not suitable for 7.3

2. The second post about mov123 related to AAC files. AACplus is NOT AAC.

What problem are your trying to solve ?

Playing AACplus audio streams or playing AAC files ? These are two different problem with two different solutions.

jasonwryan
2009-01-16, 13:12
I am running SC7

I am trying to play AAC files (ie., iTunes Plus music) - but it looks like I have screwed up here...

If you could point me at the right solution, I would be grateful

Thanks for the response.

Cheers

bpa
2009-01-16, 13:25
This is an AACplus thread and so will not solve your problem.

You need an AAC solution specific to your version of SC. There are difference between solutions for 7.0-7.2.x and the one for 7.3.x - so read carefully.

Also the platform you are using can also affect the solution - so when asking for help give background info - full version of SC, platform and OS.

The Wiki is always a good place to start - in particular.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/AAC

jasonwryan
2009-01-16, 13:55
Thanks for the steer.

Cheers

ozbrit
2009-01-29, 06:37
extracted contents of AAC plugin and still no AAC files will play. I look in the SC's plugin and see the box unticked and a message alongside - PLUGIN_AACPLUS (v1.00beta1)
PLUGIN_AACPLUS_DESC
Plugin is incompatible with this version of SqueezeCenter. Please update.

In laymans terms can I be walked through doing the required updating? I have seen mention of copying stuff to notebook and a .xml file, but what is it and where do you find it?

Anyhow, when I bought my SB3 I understood it would handle AAC(but not +)files but it does neither of them for me.

bpa
2009-01-29, 07:42
Information about your system always helps.

AACplus is used for some internet streams. AACplus is NOT AAC.

If you are using SC 7.3 or higher you can use the Extension Downloader to install ( see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeCenter_Repositories ) but you will need mplayer already installed.

For AAC.
If your SC is running on Windows or OSX then AAC will work "out of the box". If your SC is running on Linux you will need to install mplayer or faad. For more info see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/AAC

Scott
2009-01-29, 10:17
os x 10.4 ppc
sc 7.31

I followed the instructions. Plugin AAC+ installed, and AAC+ is listed in settings as an ok file type. Everything looks great.

When i go to play radio paradise aac+, web browser shows its playing, album art appears, track names etc work... but there is no sound.

help appreciated.

best,

sb

bpa
2009-01-29, 10:37
Scott,

The problem could be with SC or mplayer.
How did you install mplayer ?

Does the station play OK with standalone mplayer ?

ozbrit
2009-01-29, 14:47
Information about your system always helps.

AACplus is used for some internet streams. AACplus is NOT AAC.

If you are using SC 7.3 or higher you can use the Extension Downloader to install ( see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeCenter_Repositories ) but you will need mplayer already installed.

For AAC.
If your SC is running on Windows or OSX then AAC will work "out of the box". If your SC is running on Linux you will need to install mplayer or faad. For more info see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/AAC

G'day bpa, Thanks for that, yes on checking they are plus streams I've been attempting to stream, what confused me is I also have a reciva based Internet radio and that can't play AAC+ streams but will convert them to basic AAC audio which the player will stream.

OK I have windows XP and the latest Version of SC. I clicked that link to plugins and then saw your software near the bottom of the list for AAC+ and clicked that and got a list of script and haha spotted a reference to .xml as well. Ok can you kindly provide a link to the extension downloader (does that mean it instals it for me?) I know I have the mplayer here on the PC somewhere as I play BBC Realplayer via the AlienBBC plugin. Not that I've ever seen mplayer listed in my program files. Thanks again for your help.

bpa
2009-01-29, 15:40
also have a reciva based Internet radio and that can't play AAC+ streams but will convert them to basic AAC audio which the player will stream.

Generally the application which decodes AAC+ can also decode AAC but there is a difference between streams and files. A number of users have come across this thread thinking the AACplus for Linux setup will enable playing of AAC files which is does not. So it is necessary to make clear statements before time is wasted.

I know I have the mplayer here on the PC somewhere as I play BBC Realplayer via the AlienBBC plugin. Not that I've ever seen mplayer listed in my program files.

As long as AlienBBC is working - that means you have a suitable copy of mplayer installed that SC can find.

1. You installed AlienBBC from the Extension Downloader (ED) plugin. Open up that plugins settings page again.
2. Copy the following link (make sure you copy the full link) http://bpaplugins.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/repo.xml into the empty fields in the ED settings page and then click Apply.
3. You should then see a new set of plugin that can be installed. One of them will be AACplus for Windows. Install it as per the other plugins and after restart you should be good to go.

ozbrit
2009-01-30, 13:16
Thats great bpa, I followed your instructions yesterday and initially AACplus files wouldn't play, the track counter would go to 5 on a couple of different url streams then squeezecenter would give up. Today I do the very same thing and I get audio eureka! I wonder if it'll ever be possible to stream these type of files thru squeeze network?
Thanks for your help.

bpa
2009-01-30, 13:24
I wonder if it'll ever be possible to stream these type of files thru squeeze network?

There is not enough free memory in the current products to support more codecs such as AAC+ (or RealAudio, AAC etc.) and Squeezenetwork can only be used with formats which are supported natively by the player.

Furry
2009-02-08, 08:25
I'm puzzled by this whole AAC+ thing (SC7.3.2 on WinXP,SP3, player is SB3)...

I installed Alien BBC (and mplayer); works fine.

Sometime later I decided to try listening to a 128kbps AAC+ internet radio stream; works fine (actually, I think it sounds better than the 192k CBR feed - is this what I ought to expect?).

I then decided to rip a CD to what I hoped was AAC+, using dBpoweramp with "m4a Nero (AAC)" codec. Settings offered are LC AAC, HE AAC and HE v2. Now, I've read that HE-AAC (v1) = AAC+, so I set it for this. Files didn't play (I then tried v2, and even LC for good measure; didn't play either).

I installed Quicktime, after which the CD ripped as above did play, but sometimes at least, possibly all times, sounded lo-fi (might've been when I ripped to LC? Can Quicktime even play AAC+?).

I then installed the AAC+ plugin from bpa's repository using Extension Downloader (and I've checked that it is indeed installed).

I uninstalled Quicktime to be sure it wasn't 'filling in' in some way - as I understand it, SC with the plugin installed should be able to do AAC+.

Ripped stuff (described above) still doesn't play. AAC+ Internet radio stream still plays fine. SC progress bar shows progress, but nothing happens at SB3.

So, have I misunderstood regarding the codec I'm using to rip in dBpoweramp? (is it actually 'only' AAC, not AAC+?). If not, then what's going on, what am I missing?

And, if I was able to play AAC+ radio streams anyway, before installing the AAC+ plugin, did I actually need to install AAC+ plugin? (if so, why?).

As you can probably tell, I'm not clear on what transcoding SC may or may not be doing, from what to what, with or without whatever plugin installed.

Can someone please explain all this to me?

TIA,
Dave.

bpa
2009-02-08, 11:03
The ACC+ plugin is only setup to play AAC+ streams and not files.

Out of the box, SC on an XP system with Quicktime installed will play AAC files. AAC+ is not AAC and so will not play AAC+ files.

Regarding the versions of AAC and AAC+ - I can't help you but I do know there are also two version of AACplus (V1 and V2 !!). See http://www.codingtechnologies.com/products/aacPlus.htm

bpa
2009-03-09, 10:17
Nightly SC 7.3.3 and 7.4 now have support for AACplus and AAC streams using faad as part of the standard distribution so there is no need to install the AACplus plugin if you are using these versions of later.

The version of faad used has a patch to support streams so if your SC is not on a standard platforms (i.e. Windows, x86 Linux or OSX) then you either need the patched faad for your platform or the AACplus plugin with mplayer.

Quad
2009-03-09, 14:11
Oh... I didn't notice that your plugin is no longer needed. I will try this tomorrow.

Thank you very much bpa for having shared your work with us! There are a couple of AACplus streams I almost can't live without.

Quad
2009-03-11, 11:45
Nightly SC 7.3.3 and 7.4 now have support for AACplus and AAC streams using faad

Could you please tell me how to make AACplus streams work without your plugin? If your plugin is disabled it states: Problem: Can't play file.

Are you sure that 7.4 is supporting streams and not just AACplus files?

Thanks in advance! But don't waste too much time. I can continue using your plugin which works fine.

bpa
2009-03-11, 12:10
A bug has been found in the Windows version of faad which stops playing AAC/AAC+ streams but is ok for files. Linux and OSX are OK for both files & streams.

I have a fix for it but there is a regular week long developers meeting which means it probably won't get into a build until next week.

Quad
2009-03-11, 14:06
Linux and OSX are OK for both files & streams.

Nope. No AACplus streams on OSX neither.

bpa
2009-03-11, 14:14
What is your OS ?
If OSX what sort of CPU ?

The faad problem shows up as station starts playing but then stops. Does it try to play and stop or do you get the message "can't play file".

Quad
2009-03-11, 14:19
What is your OS ?
If OSX what sort of CPU ?

The faad problem shows up as station starts playing but then stops. Does it try to play and stop or do you get the message "can't play file".

I'running OS X 10.4.11 on a Power PC

It doesn't start at all. The message is "Promblem: Unable to play file" to be more precise.

bpa
2009-03-11, 14:32
I'll add your report to the AAC enhancement/bug report http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10602

You can follow it to see progress but nothing will happen this week.

Quad
2009-03-17, 11:33
I've just seen this post in the beta section http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=60571

Now I can give you an update. Sorry I don't know if this is of interest:

On XP: I completely removed your AACplus plugin and now it works. (First I just disabled it and got the message 'unable to play file'.)

On OSX: It still doesn't work but the message now is 'can't open file'.

EDIT: Sorry for cross-posting. I will continue to comment in the beta section.

plsm
2009-05-26, 15:06
Hi,

I've only just bought the Squeezebox Boom, so please forgive me if i ask a stupid question.

I noticed it does not play aacplus. I saw your plugin which i have installed along with the alienbbc through the extension downloader.

should i now be able to play all the aacplus(m4a) files in my music library?

Obviously, i am asking because currently i can't.

Thanks for your help.

Rgds
Peter

bpa
2009-05-26, 15:17
System info is always needed for questions like this.
1. What OS ?
2. What version of SC ?
3. Does AlienBBC work ?

AAC and AAC+ support is now included with SC (Windows, OSX and x86 Linux) from version 7. 3.3 onwards and so there is no need for the AACplus plugin. So you would may be better off uninstalling the AACplus plugin and upgrading to 7.3.3 if you are using a standard platform.

wsmknicks
2009-05-28, 14:13
System info is always needed for questions like this.
1. What OS ?
2. What version of SC ?
3. Does AlienBBC work ?

AAC and AAC+ support is now included with SC (Windows, OSX and x86 Linux) from version 7. 3.3 onwards and so there is no need for the AACplus plugin. So you would may be better off uninstalling the AACplus plugin and upgrading to 7.3.3 if you are using a standard platform.

Does AAC / AAC+ work on SPARC? E.g. on a ReadyNAS DUO? I think that may be some users' confusion...
Thanks in advance.

bpa
2009-05-28, 14:52
It looks like there is no AAC/AAC+ support on ReadyNAS.

I see in the SC code repository that using faad to support AAC/AAC+ is disabled for ReadyNAS because faad runs too slow on ReadyNAS.