PDA

View Full Version : FLAC playback keeps stopping

norderney
2007-12-25, 16:59
A problem has developed today with my SqueezeBox 1.

When playing FLAC files, the audio keeps stopping for a few seconds and then continues, then stops and then continues etc etc.

MP3 files play fine without any problems. I only get the problem when playing FLAC files.

I am running my PC on Windows Vista Ultimate and am running SlimServer Version: 6.3.1 - 8468. I am using a Netgear Wireless ADSL Router DG834G and it has been working fine until today.

My SqueezeBox uses a wireless connection to the Router. Due to the location of PC and hi-fi system it is not possible to connect using Ethernet.

I have tried rebooting SqueezeBox, Router and PC. I have also cold booted all these devices as well.
The router is using channel number 11 and mode is set to g&b. Security options are currently disabled. There are no other wireless networks near my property. I have not installed any new electrical equipment recently that could be casuing interference.

norderney
2007-12-26, 01:57
I have just uninstalled SlimServer Version: 6.3.1 - 8468.

Then rebooted by PC.

Then installed SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 15528 and the SAME thing is happening. So it does not appear to be a problem with the software!!!!!

MP3's are still playing perfectly, but FLAC files keep stopping and starting. FLACs play for about 15 seconds then stop for about 5 seconds then play for 15 seconds etc etc.

I am really desparate to get this resolved, as most of my music is in FLAC format !!!!!!!

Dougal
2007-12-26, 02:06
Hi,
The SB1 doesn't play flac natively, so it is probably being sent wav's and stalling the wifi.
Try installing LAME mp3 encoder and unchecking flac > wav.

Doug.

bpa
2007-12-26, 02:29
Since it has been working fine until recently - it is possible a new wifi network has been setup nearby. You can check with Netstumbler or a wifi detector.

Try changing channel on the router and then restart all the wifi equipment so they pickup the new channel.

The channel with least overlap are 1, 6 and 11. In Europe you can also try channel 13.