PDA

View Full Version : load of rubbish

magicred1
2007-12-25, 12:27
well so much for a happy xmas.received my squeezebox today.what a load of junk.spent 4 hours trying to get this thing set up.kept getting a black screen so i couldn't even get it by the ip stage.my faith in streamers has been greatly diminished.back it goes on Thursday.what a waste of money.will never go down this route again.

ceejay
2007-12-25, 13:13
Merry Christmas!

Or, of course, you could ask for some help here. You never know what miracles may be achievable at this time of year.

Ceejay

Fifer
2007-12-25, 13:17
You have just discovered one of the most helpful, knowledgeable and friendly technical communities it has ever been my pleasure to encounter and gone about soliciting their help in the worst possible way. Might I suggest starting again, taking a deep breath and describing exactly what your problem is with as much detail as possible. I guarantee that people here will be able to help you. Most people discover very quickly what a great piece of kit the SB3 is, but a few have problems which can always be overcome.

Oh, and Merry Christmas.

amcluesent
2007-12-25, 14:52
>will never go down this route again<

Thank you for sharing/trolling.

haunyack
2007-12-25, 14:58
my faith in streamers has been greatly diminished.

Not really a matter of faith.
Just a little perseverance and patience works wonders.

btw - "streamers" are the wave of the future for home audio.
So sure you would want to be left behind?

robroe
2007-12-25, 15:07
I got mine today, and I think I want another one for another room now too :)

Setup was no problem at all, the only slight issue I had was with my router as it did not add my squeezebox to the access control list when I clicked 'add', I had to click 'Apply' as well apparently! :)

Sounds like you may have got a duff one, I hope your "its going back" is for a replacement and not for good...

matthijskoopmans
2007-12-25, 18:09
well so much for a happy xmas.received my squeezebox today.what a load of junk.spent 4 hours trying to get this thing set up.kept getting a black screen so i couldn't even get it by the ip stage.my faith in streamers has been greatly diminished.back it goes on Thursday.what a waste of money.will never go down this route again.

Most people set up the squeezebox without any difficulties, however, a substantial part of the users did have a networking or firewall problem. These can usually be resolved, and you will find that this forum is quite helpful. On the very rare occasion you have the faulty unit, dead on arrival. swap it for a functional one.

You could, of course, throw the towel in the ring, and give up all together... up to you... either way, I keep enjoying my Squeezebox... :)

mintjaman
2007-12-26, 06:12
Magicred 1.

Dont be so hasty, I too got my SB a few days back, I gotta say that it is a brillant bit of kit. Within 30 mins I had it running wireless to my Link Sys Router, I then configured the Slimserver Application on a spare computer I happen to have, and after a bit of organisation with my music files I have thousands of albums, singles, Internet Radio all streaming with very good audio quality into my stereo system.

To my mind the SB is the device I have wanted for years ! Perfect.

Also there is a wealth of info here about all things Squeez Box and a raft of happy helpful people who can point you in the right direction !

magicred1
2007-12-26, 14:35
mine will be returned tomorrow.quite glad to be going back to the dark ages.tata.btw i have a netgear router which i have read is pretty difficult to set up with this thing.cant be bothered with the hassle of it all.i was told this was supposed to be easy to set up?.well after 4 hours of brainbashing on xmas day my mind is made up.carry on all ye technos your welcome to the future.

egd
2007-12-26, 15:16
mine will be returned tomorrow.quite glad to be going back to the dark ages.tata.btw i have a netgear router which i have read is pretty difficult to set up with this thing.cant be bothered with the hassle of it all.i was told this was supposed to be easy to set up?.well after 4 hours of brainbashing on xmas day my mind is made up.carry on all ye technos your welcome to the future.

I'm sure you know the old saw regarding a bad workman and his tools...

mflint
2007-12-26, 16:24
Mr Magicred1,

I can only echo what other folks have said: describe your problem and someone will help. It'll either be one of us users, or it'll be someone from Logitech / Slimdevices when they get back from holiday.

Of course, every electronic device has units which are DOA. We can only determine whether your machine is DOA if you let us help... and if there is a hardware fault, SlimDevices/Logitech are *always* happy to help wherever they can.

I'd guess that you bought the device because you thought it would 'scratch an itch'... and you'd be right. Give it a chance lad!

All the best,
Matthew

iPhone
2007-12-27, 07:27

Did you E-mail or call Tech Support or bother to read the Beginners Guide in the WIKI? As the others have replied, this is the "User's Forum". Direct help is available thought the Toll Free Number as well as Tech Support E-mail. Then there are all the web based self-help under the WIKI and Support banners. Lastly, there is the possibility that your unit could be defective. All of these issues do not make the Squeezebox a "load of Junk". There are way to many happy users and multiple unit Squeezebox owners on this Forum for that to be true. Yes the unit has a 30 day return policy, but I might suggest calling Tech Support and reading the WIKI prior to returning such a wonderful Christmas present.

Siduhe
2007-12-27, 08:22
Magicred1, sorry to hear it's not working out for you. As others have said, there are probably some easy fixes we or Support can suggest with a bit more info - however the Squeezebox isn't for everyone and if you've made your mind up, then best of luck to you...

btw, just as an example of how good the support can be - check out this thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19432&highlight=christmas+present) from 2005 as an example.

Everyone else, this is bound to be the first thread of a few post Christmas. As the SB moves more into the mainstream, I'm guessing there may be even more than in previous years.

*takes deep breath*

*remembers everyone on these forums who's helped me out over the last few years*

*channels peace and goodwill*

mintjaman
2007-12-27, 11:40
The very first router I ever bought was a Netgear, cheap, Nasty all spring to mind as does the horrendous operation and problems I had with the product. I would imagine the combination of Netgear and a inexperienced user could well bring about a lot of headscratching and ensuing dissapointments.

My advise would be to ditch the Netgear and swap over to Linksys which is a breeze to work with. I am no techy more of a music lover who see's the Squeezbox as an every ready music player.

For you go taking the SB back, what makes you think your not gonna have the same or worse trouble with any other music streaming product you may decide to buy ? which may not have the comprehensive online support that the SB enjoys. Mm it's a no brainer as far as I can see: The problem no doubt is the Netgear not the Squezbox:

Kurt
2007-12-27, 12:02
I've been buying audio equipment for 25 years and I can safely say that the Squeezebox is the best product I have ever purchased.

Also their tech support and user forums are the best of breed.

If you're not a troll, consider taking a deep breath and asking for some help.

Cheers!

Eric Seaberg
2007-12-27, 16:12
Forget it, guys... he's obviously NOT logging back in for help. His loss.