PDA

View Full Version : Time to rip/convert a single CD to FLAC?

Inspiribomb
2007-12-23, 13:23
As I begin ripping all my CD's and simultaneously converting the files to FLAC, it seems to be taking excessively long. Each CD takes about 10 minutes to rip and convert, is this typical? I am using EAC for this. Thanks in advance!

thomsens
2007-12-23, 13:39
As I begin ripping all my CD's and simultaneously converting the files to FLAC, it seems to be taking excessively long. Each CD takes about 10 minutes to rip and convert, is this typical? I am using EAC for this. Thanks in advance!

Assuming the discs have no problems, yes. That's why it's good to have multiple computers setup for the task if you have them.

JJZolx
2007-12-23, 13:43

EAC can be slow, depending on your settings and your CD drive. Ten minutes for a sixty minute CD would be about 6X. I often get under 4X when doing a 'Test & Copy'.

If you install AccurateRip you can usually use EAC's burst mode and get very fast rips along with assurance that the rip is accurate.

The Flac compression should cost you almost nothing in time. In EAC options you can safely set 'On extraction, start external compressors...' and 'Use 1 simultaneous...'. This will launch the Flac encoder in the background while you rip the next track.

Inspiribomb
2007-12-23, 14:33
Wow, much better! Thank you!

pfarrell
2007-12-23, 14:33
Inspiribomb wrote:
> As I begin ripping all my CD's and simultaneously converting the files
> to FLAC, it seems to be taking excessively long. Each CD takes about
> 10 minutes to rip and convert, is this typical? I am using EAC for
> this. Thanks in advance!

That's why I don't use EAC as the first cut.

When it is in hyper careful mode, it takes a long time.

I use something faster first, and if its perfect, I'm done. If there are
problems, I use EAC.

YMMV, of course.

Philip Meyer
2007-12-24, 09:17
>As I begin ripping all my CD's and simultaneously converting the files
>to FLAC, it seems to be taking excessively long. Each CD takes about
>10 minutes to rip and convert, is this typical? I am using EAC for
>this. Thanks in advance!

I have EAC configured in secure mode for my drive, and it rips in excess of 22x ("Copy" mode only, not "Test and Copy"). I only use Test if a rip reports possible errors.

So, a 60 min disk takes ~ 60 mins / 22 = 2 mins 45 secs.

Sounds like you haven't set up the drive configuration correctly.

Pellicle
2007-12-24, 10:00
I use dBpoweramp Reference. This uses multi-core CPU's to Rip and convert simultaneously. This speeds the process up considerably and for me is worth the extra cost since I save every time I rip and for large collection this is significant. It has the feature of EAC in terms of quality assurance. I think both programs are good but my preference is dB.