PDA

View Full Version : 2 Annoying Issues (album playback and missing track 1)

Inspiribomb
2007-12-23, 06:59
Hi everyone! I have two issues that are quite annoying. The first is when I browse to an album and want to listen to the whole thing, all the tracks are played out of order.

Secondly, it appears as though my SB3 is not finding all the songs in my library. It seems like track 1 is missing from a lot of my albums. What gives??? I can see the song on my HD, but the SB won't find it.

All of my music is ripped as WAV files. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Siduhe
2007-12-23, 07:19
Your first issue is caused by the fact that you are using the Browse Music Folder option - rather than using the Album (by tag) view. Assume you have made a conscious decision to use .wav rather than another lossless format which supports tags (such as FLAC, which is what a lot of people on here use, including me)? Even if you want to use .wav, Slimserver can "guess tags" from your file name and folder structure - just enter the appropriate format in the Server settings and Slimserver will try to build a library based on that, so you can ditch the Browse Music Folder option.

If neither of these options work for you, the only alternative is to rename your files so that they start with the track number rather than title. Browse Music Folder is essentially just a hook into the way that your OS sees the folder, so the tracks will always appear alphabetically by file name.

There are lots of tagging products that can batch rename files to take the pain out of this - what OS are you using?

On your second issue - are you using .cue sheets by any chance?

Also, what version of Slimserver, OS etc?

Inspiribomb
2007-12-23, 07:30
I just downloadeded Slimsever from the Logitech website a couplda days ago, not sure what version it is, how do I check? I run Windows XP Pro.

I chose to go with WAV so that there would be no compression whatsoever, since my stereo is composed of pretty high end components. Perhaps I will try FLAC, I've heard good things about it, its just going to be irritating having to rip all my CD's again. Is there a specific program that works for this?

Also, my songs are still played out of order even when I browse my music by album. Maybe switching over to FLAC will solve some of these problems. Some input before I get going on that this morning would be appreciated :D

Siduhe
2007-12-23, 07:45
First of all - you don't need to re-rip, promise. There are lots of good encoders that you can point at your wavs and create a second library of FLAC files, like the FLAC front end (http://members.home.nl/w.speek/flac.htm). See here (http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=FlacFrontend) for a howto. There is also lots of good info in the wiki (see the Beginners Guide in particular) (look up at the top of the page, although it seems to be down just now).

For future ripping to FLAC, check out any of EAC, DBPoweramp or Audiograbber. Again, lots of relative merits discussed in the wiki.

Your slimserver version will be shown at the bottom of the Server Settings page - if you've got the latest stable it should be 6.5.5 I think. There's a new release called SC7 which is being beta tested, but that shouldn't make any difference to your immediate problem.

If your music is still out of order when you browse by album, have you adjusted the "Guess Tags" setting to match your folder / naming structure and done a full clear and rescan? Should be under Server Settings / Formatting (I'm on SC7, but should be in the same place).

From the help file:

Guess Tags Formats
For files that do not have reasonable tags, you can have SqueezeCenter guess at tags using the path and filename. Using the same variables as Title Format, you can create a pattern to match your file naming conventions so that the application can make a good guess at what the tags should be. Priority goes in the order listed below. The first valid pattern match is used.

ddewey
2007-12-23, 07:53
Quoting Inspiribomb (Inspiribomb.321tkb1198420501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

> I chose to go with WAV so that there would be no compression
> whatsoever, since my stereo is composed of pretty high end components.
> Perhaps I will try FLAC, I've heard good things about it, its just going
> to be irritating having to rip all my CD's again. Is there a specific
> program that works for this?

You don't have to re-rip. You can convert directly from the wav
files using DBPowerAmp or a variety of other tools. FLAC is
lossless, as is wav, so there is no real benefit to re-ripping from
the source disk.

> Also, my songs are still played out of order even when I browse my
> music by album. Maybe switching over to FLAC will solve some of these
> problems. Some input before I get going on that this morning would be
> appreciated :D

Since wav doesn't support tagging, there is no way for it to know
outside of file names what order the songs are supposed to be in.
flac DOES support tagging, including the 'track #' tag, so
SlimServer can get it right.

dd

Inspiribomb
2007-12-23, 09:37
Got it. I ripped one of my CD's using EAC as a FLAC file and it worked flawlessly. I still have the issue with the SB not finding track 1 for all my albums. I've only got 75 CD's to rip, so it'll be a nice relaxing Sunday getting it done right now. Thanks guys!

Phil Leigh
2007-12-24, 00:36
Got it. I ripped one of my CD's using EAC as a FLAC file and it worked flawlessly. I still have the issue with the SB not finding track 1 for all my albums. I've only got 75 CD's to rip, so it'll be a nice relaxing Sunday getting it done right now. Thanks guys!

The "Track 1 missing" problem went away for me only after I had re-tagged everything, deleted the cache and completely re-scanned. After that it hasn't ever reappeared.