PDA

View Full Version : AIFF/WAV & ID tags



Harry McQuillen
2004-01-27, 20:12
Hello! I am seriously considering getting a squeezebox and getting out of my CD
hell. I am interested in getting all of my bits so I am considering
either AIFF, WAV
or maybe FLAC for storing my music... I know it will be big but oh well.

I am on OS X and for the time being I would probably stream off my desktop
computer, eventually moving towards a dedicated music server. My
biggest question
would be ID tags for these formats. After reading back on the list I saw that
some WAV files have ID tag components that the squeezebox supports. I will
be most likely ripping with itunes and was wondering if iTunes would write
that tag info automatically. I also was wondering if there is any sort of tag
supported for AIFF or FLAC.

And is there any practical difference between going with AIFF vs. WAV
other than potential tagging differences? Being a mac guy I'm more used to
AIFF but they seem pretty functionally the same to me for my macs, my ipod,
and maybe my squeezebox!

-Harry

Caleb Epstein
2004-01-28, 07:03
On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 07:12:00PM -0800, Harry McQuillen wrote:

> Hello! I am seriously considering getting a squeezebox and getting
> out of my CD hell. I am interested in getting all of my bits so I am
> considering either AIFF, WAV or maybe FLAC for storing my music... I
> know it will be big but oh well.

It'll sound great :)

> I am on OS X and for the time being I would probably stream off my
> desktop computer, eventually moving towards a dedicated music
> server. My biggest question would be ID tags for these
> formats. After reading back on the list I saw that some WAV files
> have ID tag components that the squeezebox supports. I will be most
> likely ripping with itunes and was wondering if iTunes would write
> that tag info automatically. I also was wondering if there is any
> sort of tag supported for AIFF or FLAC.

ID3 tags are sorta-kinda supported in AIFF/WAV files but are
very well supported in FLAC. Not only will you save disk
space, but you have well-supported tagging and built-in
integrity checksums. I think FLAC is a much better archival
format for your purposes.

> And is there any practical difference between going with AIFF
> vs. WAV other than potential tagging differences? Being a mac guy
> I'm more used to AIFF but they seem pretty functionally the same to
> me for my macs, my ipod, and maybe my squeezebox!

I think the only substantive difference between AIFF and WAV
is the byte ordering of the PCM data (little- vs. big-endian).
Otherwise they are 100% equivalent.

You mention your iPod. Thats the only area where FLAC will
fail you. The iPod (and iTunes) don't grok FLAC so you'll
either need to uncompress the files to load them onto your
iPod/iTunes or you'll have to make an MP3/AAC copy in addition
to your lossless copy.

--
Caleb Epstein | bklyn . org | Good day for a change of scene. Repaper the
cae at | Brooklyn Dust | bedroom wall.
bklyn dot org | Bunny Mfg. |

Dan Sully
2004-01-28, 10:12
* Caleb Epstein <cae (AT) bklyn (DOT) org> shaped the electrons to say...

> > I am on OS X and for the time being I would probably stream off my
> > desktop computer, eventually moving towards a dedicated music
> > server. My biggest question would be ID tags for these
> > formats. After reading back on the list I saw that some WAV files
> > have ID tag components that the squeezebox supports. I will be most
> > likely ripping with itunes and was wondering if iTunes would write
> > that tag info automatically. I also was wondering if there is any
> > sort of tag supported for AIFF or FLAC.
>
> ID3 tags are sorta-kinda supported in AIFF/WAV files but are
> very well supported in FLAC. Not only will you save disk
> space, but you have well-supported tagging and built-in
> integrity checksums. I think FLAC is a much better archival
> format for your purposes.

FLAC actually uses Vorbis Comments as it's native tagging system.

You can use ID3, but it's not recommended, and a hack to "support".

-D
--
Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre.

Steven Spies
2004-01-28, 10:24
iTunes on the Macintosh does tag AIFF files. I do not think it tags WAV
files. So I would stick to AIFF on the Mac. I am not sure if SlimServer
can read the AIFF tags directly. However if you use the "Use iTunes"
option in SlimServer all of your music in iTunes will show up in
SlimServer. Just remember that iTunes Music Store purchased songs
cannot be played with out converting them because of the Digital Rights
Management (DRM) in the file. This can be easily circumvented with the
wonderful iTunes-LAME package at
http://www.blacktree.com/apps/iTunes-LAME/iTunes-LAME.2.0.5x.dmg which
will encode the file to a standard MP3. Use it with "--alt-preset
standard" for best results. FLAC is not supported very well on the Mac
yet. I know work is being done on a OGG FLAC QuickTime component but it
is not finished yet. I have only found a small number programs that
work with FLAC on the Mac and I have not found one that supports FLAC
tags. Does anybody know of one that has a GUI and supports FLAC tags on
a Mac? Of course you can just use AIFF for now and when FLAC is better
supported on the Mac you can just encode your AIFF files then for some
space saving, Steven

On Jan 27, 2004, at 7:12 PM, Harry McQuillen wrote:

>
> Hello! I am seriously considering getting a squeezebox and getting out
> of my CD
> hell. I am interested in getting all of my bits so I am considering
> either AIFF, WAV
> or maybe FLAC for storing my music... I know it will be big but oh
> well.
>
> I am on OS X and for the time being I would probably stream off my
> desktop
> computer, eventually moving towards a dedicated music server. My
> biggest question
> would be ID tags for these formats. After reading back on the list I
> saw that
> some WAV files have ID tag components that the squeezebox supports. I
> will
> be most likely ripping with itunes and was wondering if iTunes would
> write
> that tag info automatically. I also was wondering if there is any sort
> of tag
> supported for AIFF or FLAC.
>
> And is there any practical difference between going with AIFF vs. WAV
> other than potential tagging differences? Being a mac guy I'm more
> used to
> AIFF but they seem pretty functionally the same to me for my macs, my
> ipod,
> and maybe my squeezebox!
>
> -Harry
>