PDA

View Full Version : Problems playing / newbie

magnuslar
2007-12-22, 02:18
Hi!

I am a newbie here, attempting to install slimserver on an Ubuntu Gutsy machine to act as music server on my home Lan. It is installed as ubuntu package, version 6.3.0-5. It is up and running, and I can connect via web interface at localhost:9000, where I have set my music library etc. It shows a player on the right hand side of the browser window as well, where I can add songs by clicking on them in the left hand side list.

However, I get no, or bad, sound. There is no sound from the web-browser player (should there be?). I have tried to connect amarok and xmms to http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3, and get sound when the browser player is also playing, but it is jumpy and bad (even though on the same machine, so not due to network issues). What is wrong?

And is this really the way that I have to operate slimserver: first fill in the playlist in the browser, then set the browser player to play, then set the external player to play?

Grateful for any help. Please indicate what other information I could provide or checks to perform.

Magnus L

davep
2007-12-22, 08:28
Hi!

I am a newbie here, attempting to install slimserver on an Ubuntu Gutsy machine to act as music server on my home Lan. It is installed as ubuntu package, version 6.3.0-5. It is up and running, and I can connect via web interface at localhost:9000, where I have set my music library etc. It shows a player on the right hand side of the browser window as well, where I can add songs by clicking on them in the left hand side list.

However, I get no, or bad, sound. There is no sound from the web-browser player (should there be?). I have tried to connect amarok and xmms to http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3, and get sound when the browser player is also playing, but it is jumpy and bad (even though on the same machine, so not due to network issues). What is wrong?

And is this really the way that I have to operate slimserver: first fill in the playlist in the browser, then set the browser player to play, then set the external player to play?

Grateful for any help. Please indicate what other information I could provide or checks to perform.

Magnus L

Well actually it is important to understand that first and foremost slimserver is designed to drive a specific piece of hardware (the Squeezebox) which sits on your network and feeds the music into your hifi. Although there are things you can do, such as hardware emulation (softsqueeze) or streaming to other players such as iTunes, the fact is that SS is designed and optimised to support real actual external hardware. It is not trying to be a better Windows Media Player.

Having said that it can play through computers - both the one it is installed on and any others on the network. Best way to do this is to run the softsqueeze emulator which looks pretty much like a real Squeezebox and plays out through your PC soundcard.

As for the mode of operation you can play songs, albums, genres as you like by clicking on them in the left pane which adds them to the current playlist, displayed in the right pane. Also, if you have the Squeezebox you can do all of this right from the player without ever needing to look at or touch the PC.

This wiki page gives you a lot more detailed introduction and background. http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide

davep