PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox died this morning < 6 weeks old

slwiser
2007-12-20, 07:10
While I was listening to my SB3 this morning mine when listening. The wireless streaming tests fine all the way up to 5k at over 50% and at 2K 100% so it appears that the network is still sending packets. What appears not to be working is my out using the SB3 headphone jack or my optical to dac.

The playing now screensaver with the small analog meters tells me the file being streamed but the analog meters are dead; i.e., don't move while streaming.

Any ideals?

I have emailed tech support and have yet to get a response.

FYI, my unit has always been fairly warm to the touch (not hot) while turned on. Is this normal.

FYI, it is always plugged into a Brickwall Surge surge unit as well. I use no pluggins.

My take on it is that something in the output section died on me.

Thanks

jclyle
2007-12-20, 07:14
try resetting the audio chip. I donlt have the exact instructions, but you can find them on this forum. I've had similar problems before and resetting the chip solved the problemm.

slwiser
2007-12-20, 07:49
I searched on resetting that chip and have found nothing. Does the chip reset reset it back to factory settings and I have to re-install the proper settings?

Phil Leigh
2007-12-20, 07:55
hold down 1 on the remote and plug in the power...

slwiser
2007-12-20, 08:00
Just did that with no help. Now I am getting two screensavers up on the unit at the same time. WOW.

dean
2007-12-20, 08:32
Try restarting your SlimServer/SqueezeCenter software on your computer. It may be a problem there.

slwiser
2007-12-20, 11:47
Re-booted the first thing thinking that may be the case with no joy.

slwiser
2007-12-20, 11:48
I sent an email from the SB site to support within 30 minutes of my first post this morning. How long do they normally take to get back with us?

audiot
2007-12-20, 12:13
I know this sounds like a no brainer, but make sure the volume is turned up with the remote.

slwiser
2007-12-20, 12:30
I checked that as well. I was listening when it went silent using a dac feeding my amp for headphones. I saw the analog meters not moving. I unplugged the headphones and plugged them into the SB3 without any success either. Then I proceeded to check here for suggestions. I have reset the audio chip twice. Now I have two screensavers folded over each other.

Waiting for SB tech support to return my inquiry.

Ashy72
2007-12-20, 12:48
Have you tried doing a factory reset of the squeezebox, maybe it needs a full factory reset. Plug in the squeezebox while pointing the remote to it pressing the ADD button.

Hope this helps, Mark.

radish
2007-12-20, 13:14
Waiting for SB tech support to return my inquiry.

I've never dealt with slimdevices support but in my experience a phone call almost always gets a faster response than email.

slwiser
2007-12-20, 13:18
Time to turn on holding ADD button I guess.

Thanks

Just did the factory reset. BACK IN ACTION!!!

THANKS

slwiser
2008-02-05, 05:39
Is it typical that you have to unplug and re-plug in eveyone's SB3 every day or so to keep it working?

I had been doing this with some success until this morning when I had to the the audio chip reset again.

schatzy
2008-02-05, 05:51
Is it typical that you have to unplug and re-plug in eveyone's SB3 every day or so to keep it working?

I had been doing this with some success until this morning when I had to the the audio chip reset again.

No it is not Typical to have to rest or unplug a squeeze box daily or even monthly. I have two that have been running for more than 9 months with out even a hint of a problem.

You may want to check you wall voltage (120/240) as a high or low voltage can cause all kinds of odd problems with electronics equipment. I.E. at the place i work the correct voltage should be 115/120 nominal but it continually runs high at about 128-130. This causes havoc with any computer related device. We have had to go to running UPS systems all all desktops to reduce the voltage to a more normal range.

Schatzy

toby10
2008-02-05, 09:55

Close to a year with my SB3. Never had a hardware issue beyond initial setup (and that was only because I'm a moron with networking). I have not a clue how to even do these resets (factory, audio chip, etc....).

Now there are non-hardware issues that I continue to have:
- Slacker on SN Beta
- SB3 turning itself on several times a day
- SB3 losing it's screen settings
- ShoutCast feeds saved as favorites will not play

But these are more software issues, minor annoyances and have no bearing on enjoying my SB3 music. *wink*