PDA

View Full Version : Problems building Jive Target Software

tomb
2007-12-19, 20:51
Hi everyone, first post ;)

I'm trying to get the Jive Target software compiled, according to the wiki page here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?JiveTargetSoftwareHowTo

I may be jumping in at the deep end but you have to start somewhere ;)

I started with a clean subversion checkout (revision 1234).

The build goes well for quite a while, but eventually trips up at SDL_gfx. It goes into the configure steps for SDL_gfx, but before it completes the configure step, it stops with the following:

checking how to run the C preprocessor... arm-926ejs-linux-gnueabi-gcc -E
checking for X... no
checking for sdl-config... no
checking for SDL - version >= 1.2.0... no
*** The sdl-config script installed by SDL could not be found
*** If SDL was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the SDL_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to sdl-config.
configure: error: *** SDL version 1.2.0 not found!
make[2]: *** [config.status] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/tom/slimdevices/jive/src/pkg/SDL_gfx-2.0.15'
make[1]: *** [sdl-gfx] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tom/slimdevices/jive/src/pkg'
make: *** [jive] Error 2

The build environment is slightly different from the Wiki page. I started with Ubuntu 7.10 (in a VirtalPC environment)

autoconf 2.61 (instead of 2.6)
automake 1.9.6 (OK)
libtool 1.5.24 (instead of 1.5.22)

Interestingly enough, other SDL parts (such as SDL_image) build just fine.

In case it helps, I attached the config.log found in jive/src/pkg/SDL_gfx-2.0.15/

Thanks for any pointers.

erland
2007-12-19, 22:56
I've compiled the latest version on Ubuntu 7.10, so the OS version shouldn't be the problem.

Have you installed all the dependencies listed in:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jive/trunk/jive/src/pkg/README.linux

When you get pass this problem, you will probably get another error with a lot of "unexpected" messages. The solution is to point the PATH variable to the lua bundled with Jive, for example running this before running make works for me:
export PATH=/usr/src/slimserver70/jive/build/linux/bin:$PATH

I've just compiled the linux version, so if you are trying to do cross compiling to compile a version that you can upload to the Jive remote you might have other problems than what I've seen.

tomb
2007-12-20, 00:28
Thanks for your answer and hints - yes, I'm trying to do a cross-compile for the Jive Beta hardware.

Will dig into it some more tomorrow and see if I can find out what's going on.

dean
2007-12-20, 05:36
Did SDL compile correctly?

Try: make sdl -f Makefile.squeezeboxjive

tomb
2007-12-20, 12:36
SDL builds, so does SDL_image and SDL_ttf. It's when it gets to SDL_gfx that it stops, as described in my first post.

Everything happens the same whether I start a make -f Makefile.squeezeboxjive, or the "master build" as described in the wiki page http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?JiveTargetSoftwareHowTo (
cd <checkout_root>/squeezeboxJive/src
fakeroot make
# drink lots of coffee - though I didn't drink much coffee, maybe that's the problem).

How do you guys do your daily build? Is there perhaps a dependency that's not listed in the wiki but necessary?

More later.

tomb
2007-12-20, 13:03
Interestingly enough, doing a make -f Makefile.squeezeboxjive clean fails itself, but after that, a new attempt at building everything continues past SDL_gfx (I did not adjust anything anywhere), but now it fails after compiling jive.c and jive_debug.c, with an error (many times repeated)

find: luac: No such file or directory

There is a compiled (for ARM) luac. I guess it's expecting one on the host system? My brief reading of the jive/Makefile seems to indicate that it's trying to do a syntax check, which would sort of need a luac running on the host... will try that next.

(this is turning into a "live blog", sorry about that - I'll keep it all in one thread)

rtitmuss
2007-12-21, 02:19
Interestingly enough, doing a make -f Makefile.squeezeboxjive clean fails itself, but after that, a new attempt at building everything continues past SDL_gfx (I did not adjust anything anywhere), but now it fails after compiling jive.c and jive_debug.c, with an error (many times repeated)

find: luac: No such file or directory

You'll need to compile and install the jive version of lua on the development system. I added some syntax checks when it compiles, but the build process still needs a little work to make this seemless. It has to be the jive version of lua, as a standard lua installation does not have all the language extensions we use (mainly bitwise operators).

Richard

tomb
2007-12-21, 09:32
Thanks for that, I thought that might be the case.

I'm still curious why SDL_gfx failed to build when started from the fakeroot make in squeezeboxJive/src? How are you guys building the nightlies, is it as described in the wiki?

dean
2007-12-21, 09:42
On Dec 21, 2007, at 8:32 AM, tomb wrote:
> Thanks for that, I thought that might be the case.
>
> I'm still curious why SDL_gfx failed to build when started from the
> fakeroot make in squeezeboxJive/src? How are you guys building the
> nightlies, is it as described in the wiki?

just a:

svn up

then

make clean

then a

fakeroot make

tomb
2007-12-21, 10:06
Hmm... that's odd. Maybe it does have something to do with the slight difference in environment (autoconf 2.61 vs. 2.6) then?