PDA

View Full Version : Music stops - windows home server firewall issue?

FredBasset
2007-12-19, 00:46
Hi guys, I had very good advice from a number of contributors here a few weeks ago and bought a number of SB3's and a Windows Home Server Tranquil T7.

I set the first room up with a T amp and some Tangent Evo speakers on Saturday but have been beset by problems with songs stopping at random (they are FLAC files resident on the server with the SB3 doing the decoding). Sometimes after a few minutes, sometimes after hours of play. I tested the FLAC files and ran a 100% successful network test at 5000kbps.

Internet Radio would stream ok

I was pretty disappointed as I've been looking forward to this. However I think I found the solution late yesterday (not by myself but on a Microsoft forum!). This guy had a similar problem and he like me had all the correct ports open.

I turned windows firewall off on the Home Server box last night and set a 500 song playlist going. Six hours or so later it's still playing so I'm hopeful that this was the issue.

Has anyone else seen this and if so is there a fix for it?

Regards
Fred

mherger
2007-12-19, 01:48
> I was pretty disappointed as I've been looking forward to this. However
> I think I found the solution late yesterday (not by myself but on a
> Microsoft forum!). This guy had a similar problem and he like me had
> all the correct ports open.

Could you please post that link?

Doesn't make much sense to me. Firewall issues usually are either/or. It
blocks, or it does not. But maybe that other thread has some more
information about it?

How is your network set up? Are you using wireless?

Roy
2007-12-19, 04:24
> I think I found the solution late yesterday (not by myself but on a
> Microsoft forum!). This guy had a similar problem and he like me had
> all the correct ports open.[/color]

I had exactly the same problem and exactly the same solution. Squeezeboxes are connected to the Tranquil home server with develo homeplugs.

Roy

FredBasset
2007-12-19, 06:01
>

Could you please post that link?

Doesn't make much sense to me. Firewall issues usually are either/or. It
blocks, or it does not. But maybe that other thread has some more
information about it?

How is your network set up? Are you using wireless?

Sure, when I'm home later. There is little info though.

Does not make sense to me either, I work in IT and know what I'm doing but thats what I'm seeing.

It's all wired as I have a structured cabling system at home and has been tested to gigabit speed successfully.

Roy's had the same problem so that sounds like at least 3 of us!

Cheers
Fred

Siduhe
2007-12-19, 06:13
Does the Windows firewall work any better if you add an exception for "slim.exe" (or squeezecenter.exe if you're on SC7) as well as the ports?

I had intermittent problems with Windows firewall with a Windowes Media Center build which was resolved by adding exceptions for slim.exe and socketwrapper.exe (the second of those was to solve a separate AlienBBC problem). I later went back to an XP install, where this problem didn't arise and the slim.exe exception wasn't needed.

radish
2007-12-19, 06:47
Firewalls (and routers) often impose connection timeouts - if no data has passed for a certain amount of time the connection is forcibly closed. This can be done for a number of reasons including security and resource conservation.

My guess is the firewall on WHS is particularly impatient and is closing one of the slimproto ports during playback. Internet radio is probably not being affected because in a default setup the server isn't sending data, it's being pulled directly from the internet by the SB.

Rather than disabling it entirely, there may be a way of increasing the idle timeout.

FredBasset
2007-12-19, 14:12
Ah well its not worked for me. It played 223 songs out of 501 then stopped. Pressing play starts the song playing again and this time it played upto 233 and stopped, again pressing play starts things off again.

But I'm also seeing internet radio stations stop now after a few hours play.

Guys I'd really like to get this working before Christmas, any suggestions for me as to how to proceed.

Here's the link to the post I saw

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2365842&SiteID=50

Cheers
Fred

mherger
2007-12-19, 14:39
> Guys I'd really like to get this working before Christmas, any
> suggestions for me as to how to proceed.

Well, one interesting bit of information would be the slimserver log file.
What version are you running? Is it repeatable for a song? If you skipped
back a few songs, would it stop at the same position again?

FredBasset
2007-12-19, 15:04
> Guys I'd really like to get this working before Christmas, any
> suggestions for me as to how to proceed.

Well, one interesting bit of information would be the slimserver log file.
What version are you running? Is it repeatable for a song? If you skipped
back a few songs, would it stop at the same position again?

Ok, I've just shut slimserver down on the home server, I thought I would try another xp machine as the server using the music from the share on the server.

I can't get the log file right now.

It's not repeatable, I'll come to a player, it will say stopped I'll press play and it will start from the beginning of that song. I can play the album again and it will go straight through it without stopping.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers
Gary

FredBasset
2007-12-19, 15:06
This is the version information

SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.254.6
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

FredBasset
2007-12-20, 14:30
Actually it did fix it. When I turned the firewall off I did not reboot SlimServer. I did this last night and I've had two Squeezeboxes streaming radio stations and one working through the 500 song playlist for for nearly 24 hours now.

I'll have a play over the weekend to see if I can get the firewall on and Slim Server to work as well.

Regards
Fred

JJZolx
2007-12-20, 19:12
I'll have a play over the weekend to see if I can get the firewall on and Slim Server to work as well.

Does your Windows Home Server face the outside world, or is it only accessible from your home network? If the latter, then why in the world are your running a firewall?

Software firewalls are a pain in the ass, no matter what you're doing. They're mainly designed to keep _you_ from having an infected zombie machine that goes out and tries to infect other machines on the Ineternet. Very altruistic, but unless you're in the habbit of letting your machines get compromised through stupid behavior, why ever would you think you needed to run such software?

If you're allowing the machine to be accessed from the outside, then a good hardware firewall in front of the machine will do all the port filtering that you could ever want.