PDA

View Full Version : Saving Favorites and Other Problems

dizzie
2007-12-18, 15:50
Where is my hammer? The SB is supposed to be fun but all I have done is fight with it. I love listening to net radio but have several things I can't make work.

NOTE: All issues deal with internet radio. I am not trying to use the SB as a music server for stored music.

I can't set favorites so I have to scroll through the menu every time and it is a pain. I want to save the station "Radio Acoustic" from the Slim Picks menu but there is no auto save when I scroll >>>. I tried to add the http address but http://radioio.com/ is a weird site with many stations. When I get the one I want SqueezeNetwork will not accept the http: in favorites. How do I set it to favorites?

I want to set the digital out to fixed so I went to Slimserver and set it and selected "change". Well the volume is not fixed. It still changes with the remote and SqueezeNetwork.

I don't get why there is both a SqueezeNetwork and SlimServer but at least I have figured out where I need to be to do certain things.

Is the SB supposed to play internet radio under SlimServer? I remember playing it when I first set up but now when I go almost all the way through the SlimServer menu to the point of actually selecting a station I get a message "won't parse" or something like that.

bpa
2007-12-18, 16:39
I don't get why there is both a SqueezeNetwork and SlimServer but at least I have figured out where I need to be to do certain things.

Simplistic answer.

Squeezenetwork does not need your PC running so it is only used for Internet Radio and network services such as MP3Tunes, Pandora etc.. It also can only be used with audio formats which are natively to the SB3 (i.e. MP3, Flac and WMA). Also you cannot install your own plugins on Squeezenetwork.

Slimserver is used when you have your own music collection. It is also needed for audio formats that need transcoding such as RealAudio (e.g. BBC) and AAC+ or need special login/authorisation methods such as XM and Sirius. All radio should be available under Slimserver unless you disabled some features.

toby10
2007-12-19, 05:17
Where is my hammer? The SB is supposed to be fun but all I have done is fight with it. I love listening to net radio but have several things I can't make work.

NOTE: All issues deal with internet radio. I am not trying to use the SB as a music server for stored music.

I can't set favorites so I have to scroll through the menu every time and it is a pain. I want to save the station "Radio Acoustic" from the Slim Picks menu but there is no auto save when I scroll >>>. I tried to add the http address but http://radioio.com/ is a weird site with many stations. When I get the one I want SqueezeNetwork will not accept the http: in favorites. How do I set it to favorites?

I want to set the digital out to fixed so I went to Slimserver and set it and selected "change". Well the volume is not fixed. It still changes with the remote and SqueezeNetwork.

Is the SB supposed to play internet radio under SlimServer? I remember playing it when I first set up but now when I go almost all the way through the SlimServer menu to the point of actually selecting a station I get a message "won't parse" or something like that.

Saving a station using .com won't work. The proper one should end in .pls or .m3u etc...

As you are solely interested in Internet Radio only (as am I) try only using the online Squeeze Network instead of Slim Server. Use the BROWSE function of the Squeeze Network web GUI to browse, sort, listen to stations. The bit rates are right there next to the station ID (no need to arrow right to see the bitrate prior to selecting the station). From this well thought out web GUI you can then add to favorites, rename stations, organize favorites, etc..

Mark Lanctot
2007-12-19, 07:25

Obvious question - you're using the digital out and not the analog out?

Also if you set it fixed in SlimServer and switch to SqueezeNetwork, you'll also have to set it fixed in SN because the setting in SS is separate.

dizzie
2007-12-19, 23:17
Thank you gentlemen. You were very helpful.

Setting favorites from the SqueeseNetwork is very easy.

I did not notice there was also a digital volume (fixed or adjustable) setting on the SlimNetwork as well as SlimServer. I just changed the setting.

I noticed I could add a station to my "favorites" or "play list". How are they different? I would associate a play list with music tracks, not radio stations.

toby10
2007-12-20, 10:08
Thank you gentlemen. You were very helpful.

Setting favorites from the SqueeseNetwork is very easy.

I did not notice there was also a digital volume (fixed or adjustable) setting on the SlimNetwork as well as SlimServer. I just changed the setting.

I noticed I could add a station to my "favorites" or "play list". How are they different? I would associate a play list with music tracks, not radio stations.

SN is a great GUI, especially getting started (browsing, testing streams, adding to favorites).

The new SS (coming out in January, renamed SqueezeCenter) will "sync" all settings (like audio fixed) between SS & SN.

I'm pretty sure playlist is SS based, favorites is SN based. I don't use SS for anything but updating firmware and managing radio accounts, so I'm not the best to be answering that part. :)

dizzie
2007-12-20, 12:22
I was on SN adding radio stations to my "favorites" but there was also the option to add the stations to my "play list". The select buttons for the two options were adjacent.

Just curious since adding the stations to favorites worked fine.

toby10
2007-12-21, 06:20
I was on SN adding radio stations to my "favorites" but there was also the option to add the stations to my "play list". The select buttons for the two options were adjacent.

Just curious since adding the stations to favorites worked fine.

My guess is that play list on SN is for future use when syncing with SS/SC. But I'm just guessing. I'll play with it and see what develops.

Also, be warned, adding Shoutcast feeds to your favorites will not work. It will play the Shoutcast feed from favorites for maybe one day. Then selecting the same feed from favorites will not play.

mherger
2007-12-21, 06:50
> Also, be warned, adding Shoutcast feeds to your favorites will not
> work. It will play the Shoutcast feed from favorites for maybe one
> day. Then selecting the same feed from favorites will not play.

That's a general issue with stations which change server address. I've been using some Shoutcast stations for months in favorites. Sometimes they change earlier, sometimes later. But it's not a general issue storing Shoutcast streams in Favorites.

Michael

toby10
2007-12-21, 07:14
> Also, be warned, adding Shoutcast feeds to your favorites will not
> work. It will play the Shoutcast feed from favorites for maybe one
> day. Then selecting the same feed from favorites will not play.

That's a general issue with stations which change server address. I've been using some Shoutcast stations for months in favorites. Sometimes they change earlier, sometimes later. But it's not a general issue storing Shoutcast streams in Favorites.

Michael

Thanks Michael. Any way they can get SN to relay to get the latest server address for station ID xxxx? Seems if SN can relay unique log in ID's to the stream provider (Live365, Slacker, LastFM) they could get SN to look for the latest stream to station ID xxxx. Just curious. :)