PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Squeezeboxes/misc players

meandmymonkey
2007-12-18, 14:59
Hi,

I'm considering one or more Squeezeboxes, but I'm having trouble getting an answer to a (to my newbie mind) core question about how the system works. It's neither on the product pages, nor in the wiki...

Say I have a setup with multiple Squeezeboxes - does Slimserver:

1) act as a "player", i.e. all client Squeezeboxes will play what Slimserver is sending at the time, or

2) act as a "server", i.e. I can select separate songs/playlists to play simultaneously in different rooms/squeezeboxes.

Also, can I create playlists in the webinterface?

Thanks for the help!

radish
2007-12-18, 15:33
1) act as a "player", i.e. all client Squeezeboxes will play what Slimserver is sending at the time, or

2) act as a "server", i.e. I can select separate songs/playlists to play simultaneously in different rooms/squeezeboxes.

It's all in the name :) Slimserver is a pure server and can support (theoretically) any number of completely independent players. Those players can be synced (i.e. be made to play the same thing) but the default is that they're seperate.

Also, can I create playlists in the webinterface?

Yes you can.

You should consider downloading and installing slimserver - it's free. You can then play around with the interface and even softsqueeze which is a squeezebox emulator so you can see how it all works.

aubuti
2007-12-18, 15:45
From the web page at http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_overview.html?

"Synchronize music to more rooms-
Broadcast the same music or independent streams to 2, 10 or even 20 rooms by adding players to stereos in each location."

Note that when you stream the same music to multiple SBs, slimserver synchronizes the playing of the streams.

Yes, you can create playlists on the web interface. However, many people regard the web interface as being a pretty clunky way to create playlists. You can also create playlists via the remote.

meandmymonkey
2007-12-19, 02:34
From the web page at http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_overview.html?

Oops. Should have looked more thoroughly...

Thanks!