PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Radios and Slimserver

Gaff
2007-12-18, 09:25
Hi,

I'm interested in getting a Squeezebox / Transporter to go with my Hifi. I'd also like a more compact and cheaper option to go in the bedroom and kitchen. It seems like many companies have recently started making internet wifi radios (BT, Tempus, Roberts, Riva, etc) recently.

Does anyone know if it is possible to configure slimserver to stream to both a squeezebox and a 3rd party radio? Do some of these radios work better than others? Is there anything I should look for when buying a wifi radio in order to ensure it will work with Slimserver?

Thanks in advance,
Gaff

maggior
2007-12-18, 11:19
Hi,

I'm interested in getting a Squeezebox / Transporter to go with my Hifi. I'd also like a more compact and cheaper option to go in the bedroom and kitchen. It seems like many companies have recently started making internet wifi radios (BT, Tempus, Roberts, Riva, etc) recently.

Does anyone know if it is possible to configure slimserver to stream to both a squeezebox and a 3rd party radio? Do some of these radios work better than others? Is there anything I should look for when buying a wifi radio in order to ensure it will work with Slimserver?

Thanks in advance,
Gaff

According to their website, the Roku soundbridge will work with SlimServer. I'm not sure how well it works. Last I looked (1 year ago), the Roku product was only ~$50 cheaper than a Squeezebox. I felt it was worth the extra cash to not have to worry about compatability issues.

Not sure about any other products. Your best bet with other products would be to run whatever server it requires and point it to the same music files you have SlimServer pointing to.

I have my 2nd squeezebox on my bedside table connected to a headphone amp. Since I have the weather plug-in, I can instantly see the weather and time when I get up. Just having instant access to weather info in my bedroom was worth an extra $50 to me.

radish
2007-12-18, 11:39
Roku is the only other manufacturer which supports slimproto (needed for full slim server compatibility). However, their support is basic at best, many people have experienced problems. It's generally not recommended to use Roku devices with modern versions of slimserver.

However, other players should be able to connect to a basic http stream being served by the slimserver, but you lose a lot of functionality (e.g. you can't select tracks from the player, can't sync with other players, etc). Depending on your needs that might be OK, but I always recommend people get the real deal - it will work much better.

Gaff
2007-12-19, 01:31
I'm thinking more about compatability with all-in-one devices with built in speakers. A lot of devices like this seem to have appeared all of a sudden, usually sold as "internet radios" or similar. I appriciate that I'd want squeezebox / transporter for my main setup but for other rooms a single device is much more practicle even if it doesn't have many fatures. I'd settle for listen-only though it would be nice if they could at least display what track was playing.

radish
2007-12-19, 05:47
Try connecting something like winamp or media player to slimserver - that's what you'd get.

Paul Webster
2007-12-19, 07:56
See also this thread
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=40957