PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT: paired update needed for SC and Jive today

bklaas
2007-12-18, 08:48
I've checked in a fairly significant rework of how the main menus are managed and created in Jive, including the SqueezeCenter<->Jive communication.

The changes are on both SC and Jive sides, so you'll need to update both sides. Today's jive firmware update (r1203) needs a nightly from 13 Dec or beyond. For the subversion-inclined, you will need a SqueezeCenter >= r15412.

Not to fear, if you fail to upgrade either side of this, I've put in code to check for that. If your SC is not up-to-date you will see a menu item on the home menu that says "UPGRADE YOUR SQUEEZECENTER", informing you what you need to do. If your Jive FW is not up-to-date (but your SC is), you will see a similar message.

This rework should completely end the "blank screen" issue that many of you may have seen in the past.

In addition, the rework allows player on/off to be done correctly. The way it was previously implemented could cause the Jive to more-or-less lose touch with what was going on with SqueezeCenter (playlist updates, notifications, etc.) That's now thankfully a thing of the past.

Let me know how if I can clear up anything regarding this.

cheers,
#!/ben

Plugin and Applet developers: I intend to write up some docs to the wiki soon detailing the changes.

erland
2007-12-18, 10:08
I've checked in a fairly significant rework of how the main menus are managed and created in Jive, including the SqueezeCenter<->Jive communication.

Let me know how if I can clear up anything regarding this.

Just out of interest, is there some version check in the Jive/SqueezeCenter communication to check that they are compatible ?

If not, maybe it would be a good idea to add some initial handshake to make sure the compatibility is checked ?
This might be important in the future if you have several Jive remotes laying around and don't upgrade all at the same time.
The check should at least be done before firmware upgrade, but maybe also in other situations.

Is the automatic Jive download prepared so different Jive versions are downloaded depending on the SqueezeCenter version used ?
As an example, I'm guessing that in the future I should use different Jive versions depending on if I'm using SC7, SC7.1 or SC8.

bklaas
2007-12-18, 10:13
Just out of interest, is there some version check in the Jive/SqueezeCenter communication to check that they are compatible ?

yes, see paragraph 3 of original post.

Is the automatic Jive download prepared so different Jive versions are downloaded depending on the SqueezeCenter version used ?
As an example, I'm guessing that in the future I should use different Jive versions depending on if I'm using SC7, SC7.1 or SC8.

Yes. SqueezeCenter decides which Jive version you are getting, so if you are using SC7.1 or SC8 we can push the relevant Jive version through them.

#!/ben

gharris999
2007-12-18, 10:31
Ben: Mickey G sent out a message on Saturday, requesting that jive beta testers download r1123 and update via the sd card method and then eschew any prompted network update. And then provide feedback, of course. Does r1203 supersede version r1123? Or should we still try r1123 too?

bklaas
2007-12-18, 11:08
Ben: Mickey G sent out a message on Saturday, requesting that jive beta testers download r1123 and update via the sd card method and then eschew any prompted network update. And then provide feedback, of course. Does r1203 supersede version r1123? Or should we still try r1123 too?

the goal was to test r1123 in setup and upgrading firmware. if you've already gone through the setup again, by all means upgrade to the newest version...along with a SqueezeCenter update :)

cheers,
#!/ben

oreillymj
2007-12-18, 11:32
I've just upgraded both Jive & SC7 with today's nightlies.

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 15413 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.2.3
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Jive r1203

... and I'm getting the UPGRADE YOUR SQUEEZECENTER message.

What do I do now?

dean
2007-12-18, 11:43
Try pressing the Home button a couple of times and see if your menu
refreshes. If not, try pressing and holding the Home button to power
down and then power back up.

If that doesn't work, please let us know!

gharris999
2007-12-18, 12:14
Ok, here's a bit of feedback on r1203:

On the jive, going to Settings->Player Name and then hitting the back button renames the player to "0".

gharris999
2007-12-18, 12:17
Sorry...dumb question, but, how does one clear the current playlist using the jive again?

oreillymj
2007-12-18, 12:25
Ok, I shutdown SC7 and cleared out the cache/templates directory and filecache, then restarted everything. I'm back in business.

I did notice that the Jive defaulted to the Logitech green background, ignoring the wallpaper selection for the player it defaulted to. However going into the "Choose player" menu got things back to normal.

It is a little strange the way other items in the Home Menu get built "around" the Choose Player option.

dean
2007-12-18, 12:25
On Dec 18, 2007, at 11:14 AM, gharris999 wrote:
> On the jive, going to Settings->Player Name and then hitting the back
> button renames the player to "0".
Thanks! http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6384

dean
2007-12-18, 12:26
On Dec 18, 2007, at 11:17 AM, gharris999 wrote:
> Sorry...dumb question, but, how does one clear the current playlist
> using the jive again?
You don't, yet. http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6399

gharris999
2007-12-18, 12:27
the goal was to test r1123 in setup and upgrading firmware. if you've already gone through the setup again, by all means upgrade to the newest version...along with a SqueezeCenter update :)

cheers,
#!/ben
Actually, I hadn't tested r1123 yet. I just did a factory reset and setup using r1203. I made it through to the "Choose Player" page. When I select my transporter, nothing happens, and the "home" and other button do nothing. Powering off and then back on gets me back to normal "post-setup" functionality.

gharris999
2007-12-18, 12:33
Also, r1203: I can clear a player's playlist using the web interface, but the Jive continues to show the now non-existent "now playing" playlist.

Sorry...is this the kind of feedback you guys want? And posted to this thread?

James
2007-12-18, 14:10
This doesn't seem to have worked very well!
My SB is on, and my Jive main menu is now just:

Internet Radio
Music Services
Favourites
Settings
Extras
Choose Player

Where have the music library, playlist and power options gone?
Music Services is empty as well!

James

bklaas
2007-12-18, 14:34
This doesn't seem to have worked very well!
My SB is on, and my Jive main menu is now just:

Internet Radio
Music Services
Favourites
Settings
Extras
Choose Player

Where have the music library, playlist and power options gone?
Music Services is empty as well!

James

Well...that's not cricket.

a suggestion--

reboot the Jive and hold down the + key while it boots (you should hold it down throughout the boot sequence). This will erase any settings you have, so you'll have to go through the bits of selecting your language and wireless network again, but I think it might get you back to a working unit.

let me know how that goes-
#!/ben

James
2007-12-18, 14:46
After doing that, I get a 'choose player' screen that correctly shows my two players. However I cannot choose either of them! Clicking on either player, Jive just beeps and does nothing else.

:-(

Also, the change to the Jive plugin menus killed my 'old' plugins with this error - probably a good idea to guard against old plugins making this call?

[20:57:46.3281] Slim::Utils::Scheduler::run_tasks (144) Error: Scheduled task failed: Not an ARRAY reference at C:/Progr
am Files/SlimServerSVN/server/Slim/Control/Jive.pm line 246.

James

bklaas
2007-12-18, 14:56
After doing that, I get a 'choose player' screen that correctly shows my two players. However I cannot choose either of them! Clicking on either player, Jive just beeps and does nothing else.

:-(

Also, the change to the Jive plugin menus killed my 'old' plugins with this error - probably a good idea to guard against old plugins making this call?

[20:57:46.3281] Slim::Utils::Scheduler::run_tasks (144) Error: Scheduled task failed: Not an ARRAY reference at C:/Progr

James

Rats. Maybe it's a plugin that's causing the problem? Can you disable them as a test? What plugins are you running?

And when you say "old plugins", I'm assuming you are talking about Plugins that had been configured to interoperate with Jive, right?

#!/ben

James
2007-12-18, 15:05
Rats. Maybe it's a plugin that's causing the problem? Can you disable them as a test? What plugins are you running?
#!/ben

I have iTunesUpdate, DynamicPlaylists & LastFM installed which all have a Jive menu of some sort.

I disabled them and restarted everything and it looks a lot better now, all my menu options are back.

Looks like that error causes some nasty side effects?

James

bklaas
2007-12-18, 15:14
Looks like that error causes some nasty side effects?

Looks that way, yes. I'll see what I can do to add a check to those functions so it at least doesn't fall flat like that...

In the meantime, I just posted a dev forum thread with a link to documentation I just wrote up on SC Plugin->Jive main menu support.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=249951

cheers,
#!/ben

erland
2007-12-19, 00:01

Updated beta versions are now available for Custom Browse and Dynamic PlayList so they don't cause this problem.