PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter issues running on Vista

heyho
2007-12-18, 06:35
I have recently moved from running Slimserver on a Buffalo Linkstation (successfully working for 12 months) to running it on my PC (Vista o/s). Slimserver 6.5.4 and 6.5.5 have been stable and performance excellent but when I install SqueezeCenter 7 it installs the software but never goes past the 'loading' SqueezeCentre prompt.

Have read other threads saying there used to be similar issues but they appear to have been fixed a whiel back and the latest 'nightly' I tried was dated 13th december.

Anybody had similar issues and any resolutions?

I did have a suspicion my a/v might be blocking something (Kaspersky) but have tried installing it without this enabled.

mherger
2007-12-18, 06:56
> excellent but when I install SqueezeCenter 7 it installs the software
> but never goes past the 'loading' SqueezeCentre prompt.

Where do you see this "loading" message? Do you see any SC related messages in the Windows event viewer?

heyho
2007-12-19, 06:45
> excellent but when I install SqueezeCenter 7 it installs the software
> but never goes past the 'loading' SqueezeCentre prompt.

Where do you see this "loading" message? Do you see any SC related messages in the Windows event viewer?

I've not checked the event viewer (yet). The 'loading' message appears when you place your mouse over the slimserver icon in the system tray. It never changes to 'running' as with 6.5.

sleepysurf
2007-12-19, 11:54
I'm having a similar (? same) issue running the latest nightly on WinXP. SqueezeCenter actually RUNS okay, but it won't "open" in my browser (IE 7.0) to allow control from my computer. It just hangs, with the "Loading SqueezeCenter" spinning icon. I still have full control via my three Squeezeboxes/remotes, so I've been reticent to do a complete uninstall/reinstall as I don't relish the idea of reconfiguring my custom settings. I didn't have this problem with an earlier SqueezeCenter nightly from a few weeks ago. Of note, I had previously SAVED the SqueezeCenter Settings URL, for quicker access, and THAT page still loads fine in my browser. Has there been a bug report submitted for this yet?

ModelCitizen
2007-12-19, 12:50
I've had a similar problem but it started about two/three SC7 nightlies ago... SC7 started to run really slowly and graphics would not load. Soon it stopped loading completely (same message as you are getting). I tried to install the next nightly over it (using the Windows exe) but even though all Squeezecenter and related processes and services appeared to have been stopped it could not overwrite squeezecenter.exe. I set SC7 to run as an application and to *not* start at logon and, after a reboot managed to install a later nightly over the top. Since then all has been OK.

BTW. You can install a Windows exe nightly over your existing SC7 set up and you won't loose any of your settings.

MC

mherger
2007-12-19, 13:10
> I've had a similar problem but it started about two/three SC7 nightlies
> ago...

Hmm... I did do some changes to the installer a few days ago.

> even though all Squeezecenter and related processes and services
> appeared to have been stopped it could not overwrite squeezecenter.exe.

....which should have fixed this exact issue. Will have to test.

mherger
2007-12-19, 13:11
> three Squeezeboxes/remotes, so I've been reticent to do a complete
> uninstall/reinstall as I don't relish the idea of reconfiguring my
> custom settings. I didn't have this problem with an earlier
> SqueezeCenter nightly from a few weeks ago. Of note, I had previously
> SAVED the SqueezeCenter Settings URL, for quicker access, and THAT page
> still loads fine in my browser. Has there been a bug report submitted
> for this yet?

No, not that I'd be aware of. Please do file one.

Did you change your server's port 9000 to something different?

sleepysurf
2007-12-19, 13:58
Did you change your server's port 9000 to something different?

Nope, nothing has changed. Will file a bug report.

heyho
2007-12-21, 00:51
With a bit of fiddling about I have now got SC7 to work on Vista.

Firstly tried running the program as administrator but no joy (my own user has full admin rights though). Then instead of selecting 'run as current user' I tried running as named user and selected admin. Started to work then.

Only slight issue is on reboot when it whinges about not being able to run the application but if you select it manually it is fine.

Other than that it looks pretty good, I'm impressed!

Enhancement request - maybe to save all and transport all setting from a previous Slimserver install over or at least make a copy of everything.