PDA

View Full Version : Unending trouble with Wake on LAN

gorman
2007-12-17, 04:46
My setup:

Server
SlimServer Version: 6.5.5 - 15249 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Running on Intel Q6600 no overclocking, motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev. 2.0, 2 GB 6400 RAM. Windows XP Professional SP2.
Network adapter Linksys EG1032 v3 with latest drivers.

Squeezeboxes
Squeezebox 2 - firmware 81
Squeezebox 3 - firmware 81

Router
All connected through 3Com OfficeConnect Secure Router (3CR860-95), running firmware 1.04. Server and Squeezeboxes are running with fixed manually assigned IP on the same subdomain (192.168.1.xxx). Actually, I have completely disabled the router DHCP functions.

I followed the instructions and the network adapter is set with the "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby” and “Only allow management stations to bring this computer out of standby” options activated.

I have verified that the machine works correctly with WOL, waking it up from my HTPC using Simplyware's WOL program (http://www.simply-ware.com/WolHelp.htm).

If I have the two Squeezeboxes on Squeezenetwork, the computer goes to sleep (S3 Suspend to RAM) with no problem and remains that way. If I go back to Slimserver, once the Squeezeboxes send the magic packet (Waking up Slimserver...), the server wakes up correctly and all is good.

The problem arises when I have the two SBs connected to Slimserver and I try to have the server go to sleep. The machine prepares for standby, goes to standby and a split second later it tries to restart (which actually has negative consequences because it then enters into a strange loop of "on/off/on/off/etc.", probably not having had enough time to properly go to sleep).

I am 100% sure this depends on SBs because, as I mentioned, if they are on Squeezenetwork, or disconnected from the network, the server goes to sleep just fine, remains asleep with no problem and wakes up correctly with WOL capabilities (eg. my HTPC).

I have already formatted and reinstalled XP from scratch, just to be sure. Now I ask for help, 'cause I think I've tried pretty much everything.

radish
2007-12-17, 07:14
There's a plugin called something like "prevent server sleep" which is intended to stop the server sleeping while it's playing. You might want to make sure that's disabled in case it's causing trouble.

gorman
2007-12-17, 09:00
Hmmm... I'll doublecheck at home but before formatting and reinstalling I was still running 6.3.1 which didn't have that plugin and the behaviour was the same.

I should give up but I strongly dislike giving up to machines' stubborness.

radish
2007-12-17, 10:10
I quote understand :)

I don't know if you've seen this thread. It's quite old but has some people with seemingly the same symptoms as you, even though the settings you have should prevent the problem. Might be useful reading though.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15523

gorman
2007-12-17, 16:56
I read it through.I have the "management stations only" option selected, so I should not be experiencing this behaviour.

gorman
2007-12-18, 03:00
I hope some of the developers can look into this. I bought my new SB3 just to be able to adopt WOL on my server (before I had a SB1 and SB2)... :(

mswlogo
2007-12-18, 12:23
Server (PC) wakes fine for me.

It will wake and run for 2-3 sessions and then SC7 service dies.
It worked fine with one SqueezeBox using 6 series.

I imagine with two SqueezeBoxes it could get more complicated.

gorman
2007-12-18, 14:02
I am ready to run whatever diagnostics tools are required to understand what's going on. Computers don't work by magic (packets)...

gorman
2008-01-19, 04:56
I've been trying since December 19th to solve this through the http://slimdevices.custhelp.com service. So far, nothing.

The people that are trying to help me did not even have a WOL enable computer to try this. Nobody has so far suggested me how to understand why the SBs are sending magic packets while they shouldn't be doing it.

This is the information I have provided to the customer support so far. As it's not going anywhere I hope somebody will be able to help me here...

My setup:

*Server*
SlimServer Version: 6.5.5 - 15249 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Running on Intel Q6600 no overclocking, motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev. 2.0, 2 GB 6400 RAM. Windows XP Professional SP2.
Network adapter Linksys EG1032 v3 with latest drivers.

*Squeezeboxes*
Squeezebox 2 - firmware 81
Squeezebox 3 - firmware 81

*Router*
All connected through 3Com OfficeConnect Secure Router (3CR860-95), running
firmware 1.04. Server and Squeezeboxes are running with fixed manually
assigned IP on the same subdomain (192.168.1.xxx). Actually, I have
completely disabled the router DHCP functions.

I followed the instructions and the network adapter is set with the "Allow
this device to bring the computer out of standby" and "Only allow management
stations to bring this computer out of standby" options activated.

I have verified that the machine works correctly with WOL, waking it up from
my HTPC using Simplyware's WOL program<http://www.simply-ware.com/WolHelp.htm>

If I have the two Squeezeboxes on Squeezenetwork, the computer goes to sleep
(S3 Suspend to RAM) with no problem and remains that way. If I go back to
Slimserver, once the Squeezeboxes send the magic packet (Waking up
Slimserver...), the server wakes up correctly and all is good.

The problem arises when I have the two SBs connected to Slimserver and I try
to have the server go to sleep. The machine prepares for standby, goes to
standby and a split second later it tries to restart (which actually has
negative consequences because it then enters into a strange loop of
"on/off/on/off/etc.", probably not having had enough time to properly go to
sleep).

I am 100% sure this depends on SBs because, as I mentioned, if they are on
Squeezenetwork, or disconnected from the network, the server goes to sleep
just fine, remains asleep with no problem and wakes up correctly with WOL
capabilities (eg. my HTPC).

I have already formatted and reinstalled XP from scratch, just to be sure.
Now I ask for help, 'cause I think I've tried pretty much everything.
I'm ready to run whatever diagnostic tools to understand why and how this is
happening.

I have already tried leaving a single Squeezebox on, same problem happening.

Both with SB2 and SB3. When both are on Squeezenetwork the computer goes to sleep with no problem. Even a single one, no matter which one, on Slimserver and there's no going to sleep.

The units are in standby when I place in standby the server.

I already tried disabling all screensavers ("None") while standing by, on both SBs.

Wirrunna
2008-01-20, 03:46
I had trouble getting my server to hibernate until I loaded this plugin >>-> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=206358&postcount=17
Works well, drive it with the remote and my server goes to sleep until I want it to wake up.

syburgh
2008-01-20, 09:02
If the SB3 and server are connected using a combination of wired and wireless, then you may have a bridging issue with your router (some routers even place wired and wireless segments on different IP subnets). How are they connected?

WOL does work-- I have SB3s connected using a L2 switch to the server and WOL works great.

gorman
2008-01-20, 09:13
If the SB3 and server are connected using a combination of wired and wireless, then you may have a bridging issue with your router (some routers even place wired and wireless segments on different IP subnets). How are they connected?

WOL does work-- I have SB3s connected using a L2 switch to the server and WOL works great.Everything is on a wired network. Actually... from my last post:

All connected through 3Com OfficeConnect Secure Router (3CR860-95), running
firmware 1.04. Server and Squeezeboxes are running with fixed manually
assigned IP on the same subdomain (192.168.1.xxx). Actually, I have
completely disabled the router DHCP functions.

syburgh
2008-01-20, 10:06
I should have read more closely. Sounds like a Windows+driver issue to me, but I've not run SS on Windows, so it's just speculation:

1. Are you sure the driver is waking only on magic packets, and not on unicast/multicast traffic as well? It is common for both to be possible, and as SBs have such a chatty protocol this could interrupt the shutdown process. SB3s are "soft off" and communicate with the server even though they appear to be switched off. SqueezeNetwork essentially replaces the local SlimServer for net radio, so the SB3s will not communicate (often) with your server whilst on SqueezeNetwork.

2. What NIC are you using? What driver version (Windows standard, OEM)? Might be worth trying a NIC with a different chipset, from another vendor, to see whether this changes the symptoms.

I can confirm that my own BSD based SlimServer wakes up at inappropriate times if unicast WOL is enabled, seemingly due to traffic from SB3s. Configuring the NIC to wake only on magic packets completely resolved my problems.

Have no direct experience with this, but hopefully this helps

syburgh
2008-01-20, 10:26
I see on Gigabyte's site (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2624) that this board has a Realtek 8111B based NIC, no idea whether WOL support for this works well in Windows, but the latest drivers reference lots of changes to WOL in the changelog.

gorman
2008-01-20, 14:29
I'm using NIC Linksys EG1032 v3 with latest drivers. The advanced properties in the driver panel do not contain WOL entries. I configured WOL through the standard XP Power Savings panel (allow device..., only management stations, etc.).

syburgh
2008-01-20, 21:23
Linksys EG1032 v3 appears (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2006-January/016388.html) to be another Realtek chip, RTL8169S

Nazz
2008-01-21, 06:06
This looks like something I had on my machine (xp). Solution was that the nic settings WOL and WakeOnMagicPacket cause this to happen. Switch Magic Packet to off (start->Settings->Network Connection -> Lan Connection Settings -> Properties -> Configure) and restart connection. Note: different Nics have different settings. Works for me.

gorman
2008-01-22, 08:06
Unfortunately, as I have reported, I do not have those kind of settings on my NIC properties settings.

schatzy
2008-01-22, 12:16
I'm using NIC Linksys EG1032 v3 with latest drivers. The advanced properties in the driver panel do not contain WOL entries. I configured WOL through the standard XP Power Savings panel (allow device..., only management stations, etc.).

It seems from reading the linksys support site that you should in fact have WOL setting such as Magic Packet in the driver control panel.

If you do not then there seems to be something wrong with the driver.

Also mi seems many people are complaining about the computer waking all by itself and trying to figure out the network status.

I would say you need to check with the support team at Linksys to find out why you do not have the control settings they say you should.

Schatzy

fcm4711
2008-01-22, 13:34
Hello all

If I understand correctly waking up the PC works, but the PC won't go to standby as long a SB3 is connected to SC.

I did some test and this is what I found on my WinXP system with a built in Marvell Yukon NIC:

There is a property called 'Wake From Shutdown', which on my setup did nothing. And another one called 'Wake-Up-Functions' which needs to be set to either 'Magic Packet' or 'Magic Packet and Pattern Match' to wake up the PC.

In the energy settings I do have the two settings mentioned: 'Allow Device to ...' and 'Only management stations ...'. If I only check the first, I get what you reported, the PC won't go into standby as long as SB is connected to SC. However checking both of them allows my PC to go into standby.

This leads me to the conclusion that maybe the Linksys driver is not honoring both energy settings, but only the first one.

I suggest you contact Linksys support, get different drivers or try another NIC.

Cheers
Felix

gorman
2008-01-23, 05:56
It seems from reading the linksys support site that you should in fact have WOL setting such as Magic Packet in the driver control panelHi! Thanks for helping me out (this goes to everybody chiming in on this thread, really).

Would you be so kind as to give me a link to this information you're referring to?

oreillymj
2008-01-23, 06:19
BTW - I think I might have had a similar problem to you.

Whenever my PC went into standby, it would instantly wake again.
I discover that my Intel NIC had another WOL setting called WakeOnLink. Basically being connected to a router was enough to bring the PC out of standby. Because any traffic at all directed to the PC will cause the link activation.

Check the settings in Device Manager->Network Adapters->Your Wired Nic

When you locate your NIC, you maybe have to dig around on some tabs to find the settings for your card.

Look here for the manual for your NIC, chapter 7

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Type&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=application%2Fpdf&blobheadervalue2=inline%3B+filename%3DEG1032v3_ug. pdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1193768670912&ssbinary=true&lid=7281189795B05

General product info

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1129151689795&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=8979522279B10

Oh yeah, if you find Wake On Link, disable it.

gorman
2008-01-23, 07:11
The problem is there are no settings referring to WOL, Magic packets or Wake on Link. But the card is sold as being fully WOL compliant.

I already looked into the manual, to see if I was missing them somehow. But there's not trace of them. I always supposed that the "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby” and “Only allow management stations to bring this computer out of standby” were enough (one waking up on both link and magic packets, the other specifying the need for a magic packet to be received).

schatzy
2008-01-23, 07:36
The magic packet settings were in the Diagnostic Utility for the Version 2 and has been stripped from the Version 3 Diagnaostic Utility.

Linksys has told me that there is other software that they recomend to be able to take better use of al the functionality of their EG1032 V3

here are the links from Linksys online support. Just be ware these are third party and I do not have any experience with these, so risk in using these is up to you.

http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui.aspx
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/magic_pkt.exe

http://www.matcode.com/wol.htm

Schatzy

gorman
2008-01-23, 08:40
The magic packet settings were in the Diagnostic Utility for the Version 2 and has been stripped from the Version 3 Diagnaostic Utility.

Linksys has told me that there is other software that they recomend to be able to take better use of al the functionality of their EG1032 V3

here are the links from Linksys online support. Just be ware these are third party and I do not have any experience with these, so risk in using these is up to you.

http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui.aspx
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/magic_pkt.exe

http://www.matcode.com/wol.htm

SchatzyHi Schatzy! Thanks for your continued help.

The problem with what Linksys told you is that those third party utilities are used to Wake up a different computer. You launch the magic packet from them, targeted at another NIC.
And, btw, that functionality is present in the Diagnostic Utility for v3.
What is lacking is the ability to configure the NIC to magic packet or simple activity. Other NICs expose it on their drivers settings tab. This card doesn't. But I'm not sure it's a limitation of the Realtek chipset or not.

I've been trying to install the generic drivers from Realtek (which are far more recent, the Linksys ones were last updated in 2004). So far no luck.

oreillymj
2008-01-23, 09:29
Dump it and get this

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3N7B&CategorySelectedId=11175&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11175,50520

gorman
2008-01-23, 09:48
Dump it and get this

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3N7B&CategorySelectedId=11175&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11175,50520Does this work well for you? Is it capable of differentiating from Wake on link and Wake on magic packet?

Richie
2008-01-23, 10:28
> > Does this work well for you? Is it capable of differentiating from Wake
> on link and Wake on magic packet?

I can't speak for that model (PRO/1000 GT) but I have a PRO/1000 MT in
my PC running SqueezeCenter. It responds to Wake on Lan from the
squeezebox and quite happily remains off when it is supposed to be
off, with 3 squeezeboxes connected to the network.

Richard

oreillymj
2008-01-23, 11:00
I have an Intel PRO/100 VE network adapter.

I'm extremely happy with it. As you'd expect from a huge company, Intel's driver support is excellent. WOL works fine with it.

I'm using driver version 8.0.21.0 for this card released in June 2005, but I'm guessing that Intel still support the card and are still issuing updates to it.

syburgh
2008-01-23, 16:16
Works well for me on Windows, has a number of WOL settings in the driver:

Enable/disable Windows control of WOL
Enable/disable Wake-on-Link (in driver)
Determine whether traffic, a magic packet, or both will be can wake PC (in driver)

My SlimServer is not on a Windows PC, so I can't confirm that the Intel gigabit NIC drivers work as expected with SB3, but would be surprised if it did not.

gorman
2008-01-30, 07:39
Support suggested that I upgrade to Squeezecenter nightly. I did that, updated the firmware on the machines and... here's my reply to them:
I did what you suggested, nothing changed.

As a last resort I tried disabling my network card and using the onboard network on my motherboard.

At first it seemed to be working, with the machine remaining in stand-by. But when I was not able to wake up the server from the two Squeezeboxes I realized what was happening.

Both SBs still had the MAC address of the add-on network card saved in memory and so they were sending the magic packet to a card that was disconnected.

As soon as I manually entered the MAC address of the onboard network card and put the SBs back on, the server started. And again, it couldn't remain in stand-by anymore.

Additional information: when the SB is disconnected from the server (if the server is turned off, for instance) and you change settings (as I did for the MAC address), if you then try to reconnect to the server, the SB appears to do just that. It doesn't say "Waking up Squeezecenter", it just says "Connecting to Squeezecenter". If it can't reach the server because it is in standby it then goes blank again and only if you press the power button on the remote it then switches to the "Waking Squeezecenter" message (sending the magic packet).

Now, when I manually changed the MAC address on one of the SBs, to the one of my onboard network card, the server turned back on just on the "Connecting to Squeezecenter" message. As if it didn't need to send the magic packet to wake up the server, even if the network card was set up in Windows as "Only allow management stations to bring this computer out of standby".

fcm4711
2008-01-30, 09:07
Hi gorman

>Both SBs still had the MAC address of the add-on network
>card saved in memory and so they were sending the magic
>packet to a card that was disconnected.

FYI: You can also manually set it back to 00:00:00:00:00:00 and SB will learn it again when you connect to SC the next time.

Not sure why you wouldn't see the "Waking Squeezecenter" message, but my guess is that the message can get overwritten by "Connecting to Squeezecenter" quickly in some cases, so that you would not see it.

I can see why support would have asked you to upgrade to the latest SC and firmware as the changelog mentions changes regarding WOL, but these changes are not related to the issue you are seeing. One change was for Transporter only and the other was to allow manual setting of the WOL mac address.

Anyhow, your problem isn't strictly WOL, but when you enable WOL on your PC it also makes your PC not being able to go to sleep again.

You mentioned that you switched to the internal network card - did you check if it let you change what will wake your PC? As others suggested it will only work properly if the network card used allows you to set it to only wake on magic packets, but not on _any_ traffic.

Cheers
Felix

syburgh
2008-01-30, 10:11
The two NICs you mentioned are both Realtek based (8111B and 8169S), so despite different branding it is quite possible they have drivers with similar deficiencies. Might want to try a non-Realtek NIC.

gorman
2008-01-31, 03:16
You mentioned that you switched to the internal network card - did you check if it let you change what will wake your PC? As others suggested it will only work properly if the network card used allows you to set it to only wake on magic packets, but not on _any_ traffic.Drivers offered similar options and no, choosing between any traffic and magic packets only wasn't there.

What I don't understand is that I was led to believe that the XP setting "Only allow management stations to bring this computer out of standby" was the one governing the "magic packets only" thing.

gorman
2008-01-31, 03:18
The two NICs you mentioned are both Realtek based (8111B and 8169S), so despite different branding it is quite possible they have drivers with similar deficiencies. Might want to try a non-Realtek NIC.Yeah, it's just that I am trying not to spend extra money. It's not much but I find hard to believe that the onboard NIC of a motherboard designed in 2007 still has problems with WOL...

gorman
2008-02-04, 06:31
Update: as the long process with the customer care service continues, I've sort of given up and bought an Intel Pro/1000 PT.

Tonight I'll try to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, at least, I'll have the NIC hopefully out of the equation.

gorman
2008-02-05, 10:17
It did make a difference. I was able to setup the NIC to answer only to magic packets and that totally did the trick.

I'm really surprised and angry for having gone crazy for so long for what was really a very simple failure on Linksys side.

To have a card out, in 2008, and still not supporting properly WOL... shame on them.

Thanks to all the people who helped here. And thanks for the suggestion, the PCI-Express version of this card is a little beauty, my first PCI-E x1 card ever. :D

fcm4711
2008-02-05, 11:58
Hey gorman

Glad to hear it works now. :)

Enjoy
Felix

oreillymj
2008-02-05, 14:26
No worries.

BTW - I'm also surprised that cards are sold as WOL compliant, when they actually seem to Wake-On-Link or wake on any traffic at all.

If they (Linksys,Realtek) ever tested this feature, they'd realise that it's completely useless and makes it impossible for the PC to go into sleep mode.

syburgh
2008-02-05, 22:48
They might ask you what percentage of customers are willing to figure this out. :)

Great to hear it's working