PDA

View Full Version : Sample home network plan

Gus
2007-12-16, 19:57
I was wondering if anyone out there can point me to a webpage with a sample CAT5 network plan for a household for streaming audio. I'm leaning to putting in different amps in each room, rather than a centralised amp.
While I'll work with an electrician to put this in, getting my head around some sample plans will be useful and would give me an idea of all the various bits and pieces (jacks, face plates, cables, patch bay) that need to be strung together and will allow me to start costing out what I need.

Thanks!
Gus

SuperQ
2007-12-17, 00:29
Check out leviton networking equipment.

I used this stuff to wire my house when I remodeled (built in 1900, no good wiring at all, had to do a full tear out to 2x4 studs)

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10452&minisite=10021

The thing I did was to run 3x cat5 and a coax line to 2 sides of each room. 2 were network, 1 was phone. I had no intention of using the phone or coax, but I figured it would be better for resale value. Everything was run back to a central panel for the floor (3 bedrooms) which had a coax splitter and power for a small network switch.

I've also used leviton for some commercial wiring projects, the stuff is really high quality.

Gus
2007-12-17, 03:38
Thanks SuperQ. I'm afraid Leviton doesn't seem to be in Australia, so that wont work. Appreciate the suggestion tough.
Cheers, Gus

killie99
2007-12-18, 02:56
check this web page out, good info on how to layout your cabling.
http://www.swhowto.com/

Gus
2007-12-18, 04:04
Killie, that site's magic. Thanks,
Gus

killie99
2007-12-18, 05:02
Certainly helped me out when I was doing my wiring - just wish I'd ran cat6 cable instead of cat5e but at the time the cat6 was over double the price of cat5e.

An additional thing I did was modify my skirting boards so that I can pop them off as I've put trunking in behind them for cable runs for network/speaker/interconnect cables. I'm sure there are many things you could use to allow the boards to be easily removed but I settled on using loudspeaker grill pegs for the purpose. I found some large pegs which worked a treat - put one peg every foot or so.
http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Hi-Fi_Accessories/speaker_grille_fixings.htm

thomsens
2007-12-18, 08:39
Certainly helped me out when I was doing my wiring - just wish I'd ran cat6 cable instead of cat5e but at the time the cat6 was over double the price of cat5e.

Why do you say that? What haven't you been able to do with Cat5?

killie99
2007-12-18, 12:03
works fine just now but I know at some point in the not too distant future I'll probably have to pull cat6 cable to cope with streaming hd video. With 3 kids all wanting to watch something different it won't be long until the bandwidth gets gobbled up - might not be next year but certainly within 3-5 years.

I remember in the early 90's wondering why work were going to the bother of running cat5 cable for a 10mb network as you couldn't imagine ever using all the bandwidth ....

thomsens
2007-12-18, 14:23
Ok...well I say this as a person who likes to "overkill" things rather than save a buck... I'm streaming HD video now over a GE network using Cat5 now. It works flawlessly. You can easily support multiple streams of HD over GE.

That's not to say a Cat6 application isn't looming, but I don't believe HD video is it.

The only thing I've seen that required Cat6 was an HDMI over UTP solution. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they'll have a version in the future that can use Cat5. The fact is that Cat5 is everywhere. It's product market suicide to require Cat6. But, it doesn't hurt to install it though.

bl243
2007-12-19, 02:04
I agree - HD streams should be fine over gigabit, especially if you have a switch that can actually deliver that speed on each port simultaneously.

The only time it would be an issue is if you start using uncompressed HD streams.

Its not quite the same, but advancements are always being made in speed over copper - so it could be Cat5e will stretch to 10Gbps

For the original poster - don't bother running separate phone cables when doing the house. An RJ11 telephone cable fits perfectly into an RJ45 socket, and you can deal with it at the patch panel - just make sure that's where the phone line comes into the house!

Gus
2007-12-19, 02:29
bl243, thanks. Will do (i.e. make sure that the phone comes in at the patch panel)