PDA

View Full Version : Firmware r1123

cliveb
2007-12-16, 04:20
I'm sure many other people will have received an email from Mickey Gee asking them to test out firmware r1123. But in trying to do that, I've got a problem...

I downloaded jive.bin file from the specified location, SCP'd it to the Jive handset (I don't have an SD card reader) and upgraded via Software Update > Update from SD Card. All appeared to go well, but on reboot I am stuck on the Software Upgrade screen. None of the keys will back out of that screen. Initially it was offering updates from the SD Card and the network, so I removed removed jive.bin from /mnt/mmc and tried again. Now it's only offering an update over the network as expected, but I still can't back out of the screen. I then tried setting the SqueezeCenter option to "Don't Check for Software Updates", in the hope that perhaps Jive might not look for new firmware, but it seems that it still does. If allowed to proceed with the update, it gets r1158.

Any suggestions?

Triode
2007-12-16, 04:35
I think holding "back" should get you out of this screen.

I aggree though that the old method of just pressing home was more intuative.

cliveb
2007-12-16, 05:28
Thanks - that worked. I had tried every single button, but clearly had not held down the Back key long enough.

cliveb
2007-12-16, 09:04
OK, now I've managed to actually run r1123 (thanks to Triode for helping out on that), I can report back my findings.

According to Mickey Gee's email asking us to try out r1123, the improvements are in 5 main areas:

A). Scrolling of long lists.

Well, it's hard to say. I get the feeling that scrolling through long lists does seem a bit quicker. But it's still nowhere near usable enough as a means of getting to a known place quickly.

I've never really had a big problem with list scrolling as a means of browsing.

B). Faster display of album art.

I'm not a fan of album art, but in the interests of discovery, I have loaded some up into SqueezeCenter. I don't perceive a noticable performance difference in this firmware. Mind you, my SqueezeCenter PC is pretty slow (a 533KHz mini-ITX), and my wireless network is only 11Mb, so perhaps they are limiting any performance increases in this area.

C). Better power saving.

Can't comment here - I've only been playing around for a few hours.

D). Wireless LAN reliability.

Difficult to comment. I've not had any real problems with the JHB's WiFi, except for the limited range (which can only be fixed with a new rev of hardware).

E). Consistent Now Playing behaviour.

I've left this until last, because I've got some big issues over this. I first reported these problems several weeks ago (see http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5705), and as far as I can make out the fundamental bug is still present. (Background to these tests: I have a Transporter (fw 34) and an SB2 (fw 84), running on SqueezeCenter nightly build from 16th Dec). Here's the sequence of events:

1. SB & TP are both switched off (still powered, but switched off in the software sense).
2. Boot up the JHB, and select the TP.
3. Select & play something. It starts playing fine: all functions (pause, resume, skip, volume) work correctly.
4. BUT... Now Playing shows the previous playlist (ie. the one which the TP was playing before it was switched off).
5. AND... the Now Playing Screensaver never kicks in.
6. Leave the TP playing, and switch JHB to the SB.
7. SB can play other stuff fine (and pause/resume/skip/volume work correctly).
8. BUT... playlist for the SB shows what's playing on the TP(!)
9. Select & play something different on the SB, and now its playlist is correct.
10. AND... the Now Playing Screensaver never kicks in.

So, at this stage: booting up the JHB when the players themselves are switched off leaves a lot to be desired re. the Now Playing and Screensaver behaviour. Onwards...

11. Leave the SB & TP playing, and reboot the JHB.
12. Now Playing screensaver now works correctly.
13. Switch to the other player, its Now Playing screen is correct, and the screensaver kicks in correctly.

So: if the players are on when the JHB is booted, all seems OK. But wait...

14. Switch off the players, and leave the JHB running (ie. don't reboot it).
15. Switch the TP back on, and select & play something new.
16. Now Playing screen shows the previous playlist, and the screensaver never kicks in.

It seems to me that it's possibly the act of switching on a player that confuses the JHB.

And some final comments about what happens when the Now Playing Screensaver is being displayed:

1. Pause/Resume/Skip all cause the display to switch to the Home or Now Playing screen (whichever was being displayed at the time when the screensaver kicked in). I am sure this is not the way it used to be, and I don't like it. I preferred the old style, where the Screensaver stayed but was updated accordingly.
2. After a Resume or Skip, the screensaver kicks back in after the normal time.
3. After a Pause, if you then Resume quickly enough, the screensaver comes back as it should.
4. BUT... if you Pause, leave it on pause for longer than the screensaver timeout, then Resume, the screensaver never kicks in again, even if you set up a completely new playlist. The only way to get it back is to reboot the JHB.

dean
2007-12-16, 09:11
I think Mickey didn't emphasize one important point:

We want to make sure that r1123 is robust for initial setup and an
immediate upgrade.

For our next build of JHB hardware we want to make sure that the
firmware that we ship out comes with a stable and reliable version
for initial setup.

Version r1123 is intended to be installed and used only for the
initial installation process.

Once you're connected to SqueezeCenter and/or SqueezeNetwork, please
_do_ accept the latest upgrade.

And let us know how all this goes.

Thanks!

Siduhe
2007-12-16, 09:17
OK, now I've managed to actually run r1123 (thanks to Triode for helping out on that), I can report back my findings.

According to Mickey Gee's email asking us to try out r1123, the improvements are in 5 main areas:

Should start off by saying that I agree with pretty much all of your comments, but I didn't exactly read Mickey's email that way. I thought he was saying that r1123 is stable with no horrendous bugs (jive testers to confirm) but ISN'T yet fully featured with the improvements that most people have asked for, being:

- Improved scrolling through long lists

- Faster display of album art

- Better power saving

- Consistent Now Playing behavior

- Wireless LAN reliability

My initial impression is that r1123 is stable and not prone to freezing in the same way that some earlier versions were, particularly when changing players. There's still a way to go on the 1st four points outlined above though.

pfarrell
2007-12-16, 13:17

Not for me, I'm stuck in the loop, JHB reboots, sees update on server, tries to update firmware.

Back, Home, forward, are no-ops.

Clicking the center button on the scroll wheel starts the update from the SC.

Very frustrating, and while I'd love to help test this, I don't see how to do it.

Also, it would really help if the download page for the jive.bin had a MD5 or SHA1 hash value, since they are all named the same, its very hard to know that you have the right binary.

pfarrell
2007-12-16, 13:23
Also, it would really help if the download page for the jive.bin had a MD5 or SHA1 hash value, since they are all named the same, its very hard to know that you have the right binary.

Here is the result of running a sha1 on what I downloaded:

pfarrell@tools:/media/disk$ sha1 jive.bin
e6f71bf3835c5412f2f43cacb00ae3c3d07f1939 jive.bin

pfarrell
2007-12-16, 13:30
Version r1123 is intended to be installed and used only for the
initial installation process.

Once you're connected to SqueezeCenter and/or SqueezeNetwork, please
_do_ accept the latest upgrade.

So are you saying you want us to install
r1123, have it boot the JHB
and then immediately accept the update to whatever the latest jive.bin we have on our SC box? For me that would be 1r1153

I have no idea if 1123 is robust, it doesn't stay in the JHB long enough to try it.

Also, is it possible to remove the SD card from the JHB while it is running? On mine, I have to pull the battery, which causes a reboot.

andyg
2007-12-16, 13:37
On Dec 16, 2007, at 3:30 PM, pfarrell wrote:

>
> dean blackketter;249363 Wrote:
>>
>> Version r1123 is intended to be installed and used only for the
>> initial installation process.
>>
>> Once you're connected to SqueezeCenter and/or SqueezeNetwork, please
>> _do_ accept the latest upgrade.
>>
>
> So are you saying you want us to install
> r1123, have it boot the JHB
> and then immediately accept the update to whatever the latest jive.bin
> we have on our SC box? For me that would be 1r1153
>
> I have no idea if 1123 is robust, it doesn't stay in the JHB long
> enough to try it.
>
> Also, is it possible to remove the SD card from the JHB while it is
> running? On mine, I have to pull the battery, which causes a reboot.

You should always run the latest version, why do you want to run an
old version?

pfarrell
2007-12-16, 13:43
You should always run the latest version, why do you want to run an
old version?

Err, how can I verify that 1123 is doing anything if as soon as the JHB boots, it replaces it with 1r1153? I can't even verify that 1123 is installed, I can't get it to stay up long enough to
navigate to the "about" screen.

I'm just trying to follow Mickie and Dean instructions.
I'm not following this very well.

dean
2007-12-16, 14:04
On Dec 16, 2007, at 12:43 PM, pfarrell wrote:
> Err, how can I verify that 1123 is doing anything if as soon as the
> JHB
> boots, it replaces it with 1r1153? I can't even verify that 1123 is
> installed, I can't get it to stay up long enough to
> navigate to the "about" screen.
Ah, ok. We're trying to test the out-of-box install and upgrade
experience with r1123, since we plan on building a bunch of JHB units
with that from the "factory".

For the purposes of verifying this as an upgradeable version:

1. Install r1123
2. Perform a factory reset by powering down and then holding down
the + button while powering on again.
3. Go through setup and verify that you can get on the wireless
network.
4. Connect to SqueezeCenter or SqueezeNetwork
5. Upgrade to the latest nightly release.
6. Report any issues you might have encountered.

> I'm just trying to follow Mickie and Dean instructions.
> I'm not following this very well.
I'm afraid I'm not explaining it well. Thanks for your patience.

-dean

erland
2007-12-16, 15:12
Is it possible to install r1123 without a SD card ?

cliveb
2007-12-16, 15:53
Not for me, I'm stuck in the loop, JHB reboots, sees update on server, tries to update firmware.

Back, Home, forward, are no-ops.
On my JHB, you need to hold down the Back key for a few seconds - about as long as you need to hold down Home to shut down.

cliveb
2007-12-16, 15:55
Is it possible to install r1123 without a SD card ?
Yes, using SCP (copy over SSH). I had to do it that way - I don't have an SD card. It's explained in the wiki (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?JiveBDK)

ModelCitizen
2007-12-17, 03:11
I'm afraid I'm not explaining it well. Thanks for your patience.
-dean

You are explaining it well!

It's Mickey Gee's email that is confusing: He says "After you're upgraded to r1123, you will be prompted to upgrade firmware again. Do not do this. Press the Home button to exit from that screen".
This does not appear to work. I got into a loop and could not stop the player trying to upgrade to the the latest firmware (I had no idea that holding the back button for an extended period would get me out of the loop, and why should I have?). If he'd stated that he only wanted the beta testers to test the set up then things might have been a little bit clearer, but in fact all he told us was what not to test!

I'll have another go at installing the firmware tonight and then see if I can screw up the set up process.

MC

Skunk
2007-12-17, 08:27

No issues here. Worked like a charm.

Siduhe
2007-12-17, 10:00
No issues here. Worked like a charm.

Ditto. No problems here.

Running on XP Pro, Netgear router on channel 7 with WPA encryption (if that's relevant).

Speed
2007-12-17, 10:05

Also no issues here, worked first time.
Installed r1123, upgraded to r1158

MickeyG
2007-12-17, 14:40
I wanted to apologize for the not-quite-complete and not-so-accurate e-mail I sent to the Jive beta testers. I did not check how to get out of that specific variant of the "Software Update" screen with r1123. Also, I did not spell out what specific things to test.

Thankfully, everyone seems to have figured out what to do anyways.

BTW, I also had no idea that holding down the back key for 2 seconds would force you to go back until Dean showed it to me a few weeks ago.

Mickey

Fifer
2007-12-17, 14:44
Just tried it. Updating from SD card worked flawlessly.

dean
2007-12-17, 14:50
On Dec 17, 2007, at 1:40 PM, MickeyG wrote:
> BTW, I also had no idea that holding down the back key for 2 seconds
> would force you to go back until Dean showed it to me a few weeks ago.
Well it _was_ broken for a little while, but it's back.

This is copied from Squeezebox, where a press-and-hold of the left
arrow takes you back to the setup menu. A sometimes useful shortcut
if you are switching between servers, etc...

-dean

darwinl
2007-12-17, 15:50
One final clarification on the instructions Mickey sent out in case anyone catches this thread late.

From reading Dean's post, what we are really testing is the ability for r1123 to update successfully to the latest firmware via Wifi, correct? If that is the case we really don't need to know to hold the left button for a couple seconds because we should be going to the latest revision anyhow. However it's good to know that the going "back" is the same as the original remote.

In any regard, we need to be testing the features outlined in the email on the latest version. I think mine was r1159 or r1158 after going to r1123 via SD.

Is that all correct?

dean
2007-12-17, 19:35
That's right, Darwin. We want to verify that r1123 is reliable for
initial setup and upgrade to an even better version.

-dean

On Dec 17, 2007, at 2:50 PM, darwinl wrote:

>
> One final clarification on the instructions Mickey sent out in case
> anyone catches this thread late.
>
> From reading Dean's post, what we are really testing is the ability
> for
> r1123 to update successfully to the latest firmware via Wifi, correct?
> If that is the case we really don't need to know to hold the left
> button for a couple seconds because we should be going to the latest
> revision anyhow. However it's good to know that the going "back" is
> the same as the original remote.
>
> In any regard, we need to be testing the features outlined in the
> email
> on the latest version. I think mine was r1159 or r1158 after going to
> r1123 via SD.
>
> Is that all correct?
>
>
> --
> darwinl
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --
> darwinl's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?
> userid=2603
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=41104
>
>

ModelCitizen
2007-12-18, 00:51
I've now updated to the latest firmware about three times over three days, starting with the SD card everyy time and it all appears to work extremely well. I couldn't break it however I tried.

MC

tyler_durden
2007-12-18, 20:11
It worked fine for me!

The album art is much faster now and the whole thing seems to be operating more reliably. I like it! I'm sure I'll find some nit-picks later on...

TD