PDA

View Full Version : Library Pointer Question

dminches
2007-12-14, 20:08
I have the majority of my music on my NAS, designated as drive T:. I also have other music on a local drive, F:. I put a shortcut for F: in the root folder of T: but for some reason that drive never seems to get scanned. All the folder on T: show up in my library, but never the music on F:. Shouldn't this work?

JJZolx
2007-12-14, 22:14
I have the majority of my music on my NAS, designated as drive T:. I also have other music on a local drive, F:. I put a shortcut for F: in the root folder of T: but for some reason that drive never seems to get scanned. All the folder on T: show up in my library, but never the music on F:. Shouldn't this work?

Using Windows shortcuts with SlimServer can be tricky.

You might find it easier to manage if you first create an empty folder on the machine running SlimServer and designate it as your music folder. Within this folder create one shortcut to each of the music file locations, both on the network and on the local machine. Make sure that any shortcuts create are from the perspective of the server machine itself. Generally, it's easiest if you create the shortcut while logged in at the SlimServer machine.

If you ever want to run SlimServer as a Windows service, you'll be much better off using UNC style paths to any network shares on the NAS. So instead of using 'T:', the shortcut would look something like:

\\NASname\ShareName\MusicFolder

or possibly just

\\NASname\ShareName

To do this in Windows, right-click the shortcut after you've created it and change the target.

dminches
2007-12-15, 06:37
That's what I did while I awaited help. I now see the issue more clearly. Slimserver is finding the music. However, most of my music is not yet tagged so I am forced to browse via Music Folders. Weirdly, the music on the NAS has a clear folder designation but the folder containing the local music (drive F:) does really show up in the folder list. There is a right play arrow and a plus sign but no link to click on. My shortcut to F: is correct. What can I do so I do get the link?

JJZolx
2007-12-15, 13:11
That's what I did while I awaited help. I now see the issue more clearly. Slimserver is finding the music. However, most of my music is not yet tagged so I am forced to browse via Music Folders. Weirdly, the music on the NAS has a clear folder designation but the folder containing the local music (drive F:) does really show up in the folder list. There is a right play arrow and a plus sign but no link to click on. My shortcut to F: is correct. What can I do so I do get the link?

Sounds like it could be a bug. Is the shortcut to F: still in the folder on T:, or is it in a folder on the server?

dminches
2007-12-15, 13:27
It is in the folder I created which just contains the shortcuts to all the music drives. See below. The second screen shot shows how only the "media" drive shows up under Music Folder even though there is a second drive apparently recognized.