PDA

View Full Version : mildly annoying

mlsstl
2007-12-12, 16:00
Not that I'm in the market for any new equipment right now, but it is somewhat annoying to periodically read about the special discounts for the SB and Transporter that are only available to those who happen to be close to Slim Device's headquarters. (Current holiday open house offer for 12/14/07.)

It leaves a kind of a salt-in-the-wound feeling. No one is going to die from it but it just has a quality about it that doesn't sit well with the vast majority of customers who are unable to take advantage.

I recall that others in the past have expressed similar sentiments.

Perhaps a compromise would be to make the deal available to anyone who orders on that particular day. Those who participate in the forums would get an equal shot no matter where they live, but it still wouldn't be opening the floodgates to the world.

Just a thought.

m1abrams
2007-12-12, 17:24
When I saw the offer I did not immediately notice it was only to people who can make it to that location in CA. Cause I actually had the CC in hand ready to order one. But flying to CA from VA is a bit much.

Club1820
2007-12-12, 23:20
Those who participate in the forums would get an equal shot no matter where they live, but it still wouldn't be opening the floodgates to the world.

Too quote Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - I Second that Emotion!

bossanova808
2007-12-13, 00:23
I concur - I'd love to be able to get $500 off a transporter but it's a long and expensive flight from Melbourne, Australia...

Perhaps there's a clever solution that can be found....especially for supporters and advocates from afar...

NewBuyer
2007-12-13, 01:19
When I first saw that offer, I too was ready to buy immediately. Then I saw the location requirement, and I just can't justify the extra expense to travel there to buy.
I really wish the offer wasn't just for local buyers.

mvalera
2007-12-13, 01:43
The offer is good only at and during the open house.

Sorry!

There is however this thing called the ineternets, and on it I have heard tale of the mythical "search engine". I've been told that by using it many interesting things can be found.... but not discussed on this forum :P

Mike

nicketynick
2007-12-14, 10:21
The offer is good only at and during the open house.

Sorry!

There is however this thing called the ineternets, and on it I have heard tale of the mythical "search engine". I've been told that by using it many interesting things can be found.... but not discussed on this forum :P

Mike

Oh boy, a riddle! Now what would one type in this weird & wonderful search engine, if ever it were found......
What is your favourite colour?
Blue....no, aaaaaiiiiieeeeee!

nicketynick
2007-12-14, 10:27
I wonder if this post will survive?

No- Mike Valera ;p

mlsstl
2007-12-14, 10:54
Actually the internet search comment and the SB3 promo code post just continue the "mildly annoying" theme. The offer at the top of the forum page still isn't available to most of us. And, the promo code noted above and the other current promo (free SB3 with a Transporter) isn't the same deal as the holiday party offer. 10 pages into a Google search showed no deal similar to the one that is available to locals only.

This falls in the category of various promotions I've seen other companies do over the years that make a tiny percentage of customers very happy and irritate to varying degrees a much larger number. That's an interesting strategy in my book.

Oh well. Time for me to move on.

Ben Sandee
2007-12-14, 12:59
On Dec 14, 2007 11:54 AM, mlsstl <
mlsstl.31letn1197654901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> This falls in the category of various promotions I've seen other
> companies do over the years that make a tiny percentage of customers
> very happy and irritate to varying degrees a much larger number. That's
> an interesting strategy in my book.

People who are irritated by this need to grow some thicker skin. I think
it's safe to say that Logitech would more likely pull the open-house
promotion altogether rather than lower the price across the board, which is
apparently the only thing that would please you.

mlsstl
2007-12-14, 13:29
People who are irritated by this need to grow some thicker skin.

Ummm, you forgot to quote my last sentence: "Oh well. Time for me to move on." I also concluded my initial post with the words: "Just a thought."

I fully understand it is a big world and there will always be things here and there that I wish were done differently but aren't.

If Logitech/Slim Devices isn't interested in how people respond to their advertising and promotions, so be it. However, I did note several responses were quickly posted after my first comment that were in basic agreement with my thoughts. Lots of companies have come up with advertising promotions over the years that didn't pan out as envisioned during the marketing meeting. Most of them like finding that out so they do a better job of hitting their target the next time around.

If they think my comments have any merit, they are free to use them. If they think yours carry the day, then we'll continue to see the current one repeated. It ain't any more complicated than that.

See you around and have a great Christmas (or whatever strikes your fancy.)

peterw
2007-12-14, 19:23
I hope everybody enjoyed/is enjoying the open house. Hey, Mike, this time how about identifying the Slim/Logi staff, especially the forum participants, in any posted photos?

Lottery... not free gear, but a drawing for the chance to buy at the open house price. Have the lottery drawing several days before the open house, and any unsold "lottery" merch goes to the open house sale. This might not only make faraway fans happier, but encourage some online hype & interest in the product line (think of the Digg possibilities). I'd suggest only using the lottery for a portion of the refurb gear and a limited number of new units, to guarantee to "locals" that there would be some bargains at the open house. The lottery should be announced only about a week before the entry deadline & drawing, to reduce any adverse affect on sales of new units. IMHO, IANAMarketingExpert, etc.

-Peter (not complaining)

mudlark
2007-12-15, 03:46
How about these thoughts.

I like squeezeboxes and I own a computer and I have lots of time to surf the net. I am therefore unlikely to be short of money so I will pay an extra 10.00 for my Transporter so that some person with less money and time can buy a SB3 at a reasonable price.

Or, every "special" person gets a transporter for 100.00 less than normal customers and Logitech goes bust so no-one gets a SB4.....

Mike.