PDA

View Full Version : thinking of upgrading my Slim devices squeezebox 3 with the Slim Devices Transporter.

bad.wolf
2007-12-12, 11:39
Hi
I have been delighted with the SB3 but would like to get the full potential from my equipment and replace the CD player altogether, (a Linn Genki if anyone is interested in buying it) I have found the whole concept of the SB3 wonderful to use, but the Transporter is a massive jump in price - has anyone got a Transporter to justify the extra cost over the Squeezebox? Is it really as good as say a cd player like the Linn? Or is it just overpriced?

Cheers
wolfie

Fifer
2007-12-12, 12:11
I have an SB2 (SB3 in a different box) and a Transporter. I use a headphone set-up for my serious listening - WNA Headamp Mk2 (modified to Class A) and Sennheiser HD650s. The Transporter is (even to my cloth ears) head and shoulders above the SB and I consider it to be well worth what I paid for it.

The most recent high end source I listened to with a similar setup was a Musical Fidelity CD player selling at about 6k (I previously owned a MF headphone amp and do rate their stuff) and although I haven't tested them head to head, listening to the Transporter provides me with the same 'wow factor' as I recall experiencing when I heard the MF.

amcluesent
2007-12-12, 13:24
>has anyone got a Transporter to justify the extra cost over the Squeezebox?<

I upgraded to a TP (second hand though) from an SB3.

There are some unarguable gains, proper 96Khz handling, can use as DAC, dual displays, superior wi-fi etc.

I don't know how to assign to gains in sound quality, I suppose so long as the kiddies have shoes on their feet, you can justify audiophile upgrades.

Fifer
2007-12-12, 14:53
I don't know how to assign to gains in sound quality, I suppose so long as the kiddies have shoes on their feet, you can justify audiophile upgrades.
Or you don't have kiddies ... ;)

mlsstl
2007-12-12, 15:14
The Transporter is unquestionably better than a SB3. I have the SB3 and did audition the Transporter.

However, there is a middle ground. You can use the SB3 with a high quality DAC. Depending on what you buy, the SB3/DAC combo will roughly be 40% to 60% the cost of a new Transporter.

This is what I ended up doing. I combined my existing SB3 with a Lavry DA-10 DAC. I couldn't detect any audible difference between these two and the Transporter.

You do end up with two pieces of equipment, and don't have efficient support for 96Khz material, and there is the appearance issue, but you certainly have a range of options if you want them.