PDA

View Full Version : Help on getting Transporter & PC to connect wirelessly after power up.

dudeymon
2007-12-11, 13:20
Hi all,

I've been a happy Transporter user for several months now. But I continue to have a sporadic problem getting the Slimserver software & the Transporter to sync up after initial power-up. I've tried opening a problem to support, but they keep asking me to hook it up with a cable to test it for any performance differences, & that's just not easy for me to do in my set-up. So a quick check to the community at large is worth a shot.

I need to keep my PC & Hi-Fi equipment powered off at night. I run Vista on the PC, and use a Linksys wireless-G router. I power up the Transporter & start up Slimserver when I want to listen to music. About 80% of the time the Transporter will not sync up after power up. I end up powering the Transporter off & on, maybe several times, and may even need to stop & restart Slimserver.

Eventually, after a minute or two of jacking around with all this stopping & starting, it all syncs up & plays fine until I power it down again.

Have any of you had a similar problem, and any ideas on how to avoid it?

Thanks.

Rick

amcluesent
2007-12-11, 13:34
The Transporter is never 'off' unless you pull the plug out. Have you tried allocating a fixed IP address to the Vista PC to remove the chance of varying DHCP allocations.

JJZolx
2007-12-11, 14:23
Have any of you had a similar problem, and any ideas on how to avoid it?

Yes, but for whatever reason, the problem went away in my setup, while other people are still experiencing it. The workaround, as you've found, is to either hit the Power button on the Squeezebox a couple of times or to keep restarting SlimServer until the two connect.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3778

I can't think of too many problems that are more frustrating than when the Squeezebox and SlimServer are unable to hook up.

dudeymon
2007-12-11, 15:48
The Transporter is never 'off' unless you pull the plug out. Have you tried allocating a fixed IP address to the Vista PC to remove the chance of varying DHCP allocations.
The Transporter completely powers down due to power conditioner that supplies the A/C going off as well.

I haven't tried a fixed IP address, because I don't know how. Is it hard to do?

SuperQ
2007-12-11, 18:14
The Transporter completely powers down due to power conditioner that supplies the A/C going off as well.

I haven't tried a fixed IP address, because I don't know how. Is it hard to do?

Not hard at all, just press left for 5 seconds and it will go into the setup screen.. when you're setting up the connection, it will say "obtain IP automatically" and you can press down and select manual.

See this site for more info:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToNetworks