PDA

View Full Version : During a scan, can I skip directories deliberately?

Martin_z
2007-12-11, 07:38
Hi all

This feels like it should be a question that's been asked before, or a facility which does exist - but I can't find the answer.

What I want to do is just mark some of the sub-directories in my music directory as "non-scannable". Sort of a bit like a robots.txt for the slimserver scan.

The reason is that I have several albums which I have both in FLAC format and MP3 format; I want to use the FLAC ones for slimserver and the MP3 one for my portable music player. I don't want to see the MP3 ones on Slimserver, but I also don't want to keep them completely separately - I want ALL my music under one directory, and have a way of telling the Slimserver not to scan certain directories.

Using slimserver 6.5.4 on Windows 2000.

Appreciate your help.

radish
2007-12-11, 08:45
The simple answer is no - most people get around this issue by having seperate structures (I use one for FLAC and then an automatically-generated mirror in mp3).

aubuti
2007-12-11, 08:53
Would something like this arrangement work for you:

c:\music
c:\music\flac
c:\music\mp3

Then all your music is under one directory (c:\music) and if you point slimserver to (c:\music\flac) then it won't see your MP3s.

That's so simple that there's probably something wrong with it, but I thought I'd throw it out there as an idea.

Actually that's similar to how I have mine set up, although mine is a little more complicated because there are a subset of mp3s that I *do* want slimserver to see. So I have:

/music/home (mostly flacs)
/music/home/mp3 (the few dozen mp3s I want slimserver to see)
/music/mobile (mp3s for portable use, including lower bitrate versions of the tracks in /music/home/mp3)

Martin_z
2007-12-11, 09:14
Thanks for this.

I was hoping for a simple setup where you put a file called "do_not.scan" in the directory and if the scanning software spotted it, it would skip it.

I can see the workrounds will do some of what I want, but (call me inflexible) I wanted

c:/music/artist/album/flac/track1.flac
c:/music/artist/album/mp3/track1.mp3

OK. I'll have to work out how to request it as a new feature.

Thanks for your help.

kdf
2007-12-11, 09:31
On 11-Dec-07, at 8:14 AM, Martin_z wrote:

>
> OK. I'll have to work out how to request it as a new feature.
>
It's been discussed here;
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=775

-kdf