PDA

View Full Version : Beginners Linux question

jeebers
2007-12-10, 07:51
Hi all,

I'm replacing the PC I currently run Slimerver on with a small-form, headless PC. A quick question - can you run a Linux computer on the same network as Windows PCs? I have a wireless network that currently has 2 PCs, my SB3 and a PS3 using it - can I just replace one of the PCs with a Linux box, and still access the intertron etc or is there more to it than that? I'm assuming I won't be able to share files between Windows and Linux over the network - is that correct?

I am aware that the fact that I don't know the answer to this suggests that I probably shouldn't mess around with Linux, but hey.

Mark Lanctot
2007-12-10, 08:01
A quick question - can you run a Linux computer on the same network as Windows PCs?

Of course. Linux long ago was forced to work with Windows computers. The same can't be said of the reverse, Microsoft likes to pretend Linux doesn't exist.

I have a wireless network that currently has 2 PCs, my SB3 and a PS3 using it - can I just replace one of the PCs with a Linux box, and still access the intertron etc or is there more to it than that?

What's an "intertron"?

I'm assuming I won't be able to share files between Windows and Linux over the network - is that correct?

No, it's easy, just run samba on the Linux box:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_%28software%29

Most advanced Linux distros come with samba preinstalled, you just have to configure it, and there are always guides to help you do so.

I am aware that the fact that I don't know the answer to this suggests that I probably shouldn't mess around with Linux, but hey.

Nonsense, you've got to start somewhere. And it's free, if it doesn't work for you or is too frustrating, just give more money to Bill.

Ashy72
2007-12-10, 08:36
For sharing files between windows and linux mark lanctot is right use samba there is a help document on configuring samba just google it, i think its on the ubuntu forums. As for linux get a book from the library and use this to help you out with things like installing the software, file permissions,owners, and installing software, and command line instructions to use in terminal. It took me a couple of weeks to go from knowing nothing about linux to having a completely running hassle free machine. Also the ubuntu forums are a good source for debian linux help. I am using ubuntu gutsy on quite a low powered machine 600Mhz Pentium fanless itx pc and it runs slimserver 6.5.4 with plugins and musicip flawlesssly.
Also ubuntu gutsy comes with VNC server pre installed this would allow you to use a windows pc to control the linux box. So you wouldnt nessessarily need a keyboard mouse and screen attached to your linux machine. You just have to install tightvnc on the windows machine after enabling remote connections on the linux machine its quite easy.

jfalk
2007-12-10, 09:17
I was in exactly the same place as you two weeks ago and now everything is working well. The hardest part was getting my Vista computers to print to two different printers connected to the Linux box, but with a couple of forum q and a's and an assist from a book I even got that running from a position of complete Linux newbiness.

jeebers
2007-12-10, 09:28
What's an "intertron"?

Sorry - it's what I call the internet. Long story, and I call it the intertron now without even noticing!

Thanks everyone for your help - very useful and informative. Well I reckon I might give it a whirl, so expect loads of annoying questions when I'm struggling to get it working ;-)

pfarrell
2007-12-10, 09:38
jeebers wrote:
> Mark Lanctot;248087 Wrote:
>> What's an "intertron"?
>>
>
> Sorry - it's what I call the internet. Long story, and I call it the
> intertron now without even noticing!

1. intertron

A noun describing the world webtron used by various and sundry members
of the Columbia University Community especially the great and famous
philosophy professor, Abram Handler, Ph.D.

The proud Aztec are not fodder for intertron profiles!

2. Intertron

A network of computer machines where hackers live.

We all live on the intertron!
--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/