PDA

View Full Version : Music sounds better with you?

Gibbo
2007-12-10, 02:41
Is it just me? but I seem to enjoy listening to music more when its through my squeezebox? its more exciting for some reason?

BigTony
2007-12-10, 08:58
Of course its more exicting, its a new toy!

For me the big bonus is that I had many CD's that I'd not heard in years, and many more that I'd never played on my new hi-fi, so after the pain of flaccing, its been just one happy audio trip! Instead of spending an age trying to chose a CD to play, I just hit shuffle and enjoy what comes up!

I can't believe how I ever survived without one for so long....

BT

Brian Ritchie
2007-12-10, 16:24
This weekend, we made a playlist of almost all the rock albums we've acquired this year, then had this playing on shuffle for many hours. This went some way towards working out our "Best of 2007" playlist (though we haven't actually made it yet). It was *much* more fun doing it this way than listening to each album separately.

Brief and far from scientific tests have suggested that our CD player still outperforms the SB3, but the sheer convenience of the SB3 wins out.

-- Brian

BigAl
2007-12-10, 18:40
Definitely not just you. My experience has been the same as Big Tony's as I've rediscovered CDs that I'd forgotten I had. In spite of that rediscovery I've also been buying much more music and listening much more as well.

haunyack
2007-12-10, 18:52
... I just hit shuffle and enjoy what comes up!

This format absolutely allows one to enjoy the full value of one's music collection at the touch of a button.
That fact alone is enough to keep the music playing fresh and alive.

It's become organic with me.
Anything else would be unnatural.

Thanks Sean & Company.

JJZolx
2007-12-10, 19:32
At first. A little less as time goes on.

I still find it cumbersome to randomly browse through my library to select something to play. Mostly, I think, due to the sluggishness of browsing albums in the web interface. A wall of CD spines is still (somewhat surprisingly) easier to use when picking something out. I'll often actually look through the CD rack and then play whatever I find using the SlimServer web interface.

But it does other things well. Random play, playlists, searches. I don't use playlists much at all, and random play only for background listening. Searching is the main thing - to find all the recordings of 'Winter Wonderland' that I have, or quickly find all the tracks by Mel Torme.

haunyack
2007-12-10, 19:56
A wall of CD spines is still (somewhat surprisingly) easier to use when picking something out.

Same here except I have a master list (hardcopy) that I've compiled for my music collection.
As my physical collection is kept outside my listening room (thanks to networked music) I refer to the catalogue and queue a track, album or mix in SqueezeCenter.

Time well spent.

Rick B.
2007-12-11, 05:13
Same here except I have a master list (hardcopy) that I've compiled for my music collection.
As my physical collection is kept outside my listening room (thanks to networked music) I refer to the catalogue and queue a track, album or mix in SqueezeCenter.

Time well spent.

haunyack, how did you create your master list? Thanks.

joeriz
2007-12-11, 09:56
Is it just me? but I seem to enjoy listening to music more when its through my squeezebox? its more exciting for some reason?

I absolutely agree. The Squeezebox is maybe the best audio purchase I've ever made...certainly it's among the best. Now, if they would just lower the price of the Transporter to about $1,500, I'd buy one of those too... ;0)

USAudio
2007-12-11, 12:38
... The Squeezebox is maybe the best audio purchase I've ever made...certainly it's among the best...
I'll second that!

Now I'm anxious to see what's next from SlimDevices/Logitech ... aren't they about due for something new? =)

haunyack
2007-12-11, 19:12
haunyack, how did you create your master list? Thanks.

I simply use MusicIP Mixer.

Under the Library pull-down - "Generate HTML Report".
Save to disk, print and bind.

A couple caveats -

1 - Tags must be in reasonable order to get a proper listing.
2 - Prepare to use a lot of paper if you have a large collection.

Cheers!