PDA

View Full Version : Connecting the SB3 directly to the pc?

nicoleif
2007-12-09, 09:46
Is it possible to connect the squeezebox V3 directly to a pc (netcard) using ethernet cable instead of connecting it to a hub or a switch?

nicoleif
2007-12-09, 10:45
Is it possible to connect the squeezebox V3 directly to a pc (netcard) using ethernet cable instead of connecting it to a hub or a switch?

Doesn't anyone have an answer on this issue?

Ashy72
2007-12-09, 10:59
Doesn't anyone have an answer on this issue?
I think you need a crossover ethernet cable.

radish
2007-12-09, 11:03

Yes, you need a crossover cable or an auto-sensing port.

Mark Miksis
2007-12-09, 11:27
I would be shocked if any ethernet PHY manufactured in the last 7 years or so didn't support auto-MDIX. Try a regular cable and it'll probably work. Of course, you also need to make sure that both the PC and the SB are configured with static IPs on the same subnet.

nicoleif
2007-12-09, 11:40
I would be shocked if any ethernet PHY manufactured in the last 7 years or so didn't support auto-MDIX. Try a regular cable and it'll probably work. Of course, you also need to make sure that both the PC and the SB are configured with static IPs on the same subnet.

And how do I configure the SB with static IP on the subnet which matches the PC's subnet?

Mark Miksis
2007-12-09, 13:17
And how do I configure the SB with static IP on the subnet which matches the PC's subnet?

Press and hold left-arrow to get to the SB network setup menu. Assuming you gave your PC a private IP with a netmask of 255.255.255.0, give the SB an IP of a.b.c.d where a.b.c is the same as the PC and d is different.

nicoleif
2007-12-09, 14:14
Press and hold left-arrow to get to the SB network setup menu. Assuming you gave your PC a private IP with a netmask of 255.255.255.0, give the SB an IP of a.b.c.d where a.b.c is the same as the PC and d is different.

Thanks, I've try that.