PDA

View Full Version : dc connector?

ratso
2007-12-08, 20:53
i have bought a power supply by Channel Islands and it's great. however i would like to move my squeezbox away from my stereo and over by my tv. the umbilical dc power cord supplied by CI is only about 2 feet long. i need approx. a ten foot cord. it has the same connector as inputs into a squeezebox; 2.5mm ID, 5.5mm OD, 11mm long (from squeezebox specs). this connector is used on both ends. does anyone know where i could get a cord like this? if not, does anyone know the part # of this connector so i could custom order a cable? sorry guys, i don't know how to solder so please no diy instructions (i just bought an iron and will start giving it a shot as soon as it warms up!)

mudlark
2007-12-09, 18:13
I'm not an expert, but personally I would suggest a longer mains cord rather than the dc cable to squeezebox. A longer dc cable is more likely to suffer voltage drop and will act as a cracking aerial for any stray RF.

ratso
2007-12-09, 22:25
thanx mud. i am trying to figure out if there is any bad effects from this, you're not the first to mention that there might be a problem. unfortunately, what i'm trying to do is leave the power source on my rack and move the squeezebox away from it, so a longer ac cord won't help. what i am confused about is that other components i have seen have longer cords (for instance the cord with the welborne power unit is about twice as long as the one from CI audio) so how long is too long?

sgmlaw
2007-12-10, 14:13
Having now seen both 5v power cords, I can chime in here.

The cord on the CIAudio PS is a simple parallel "zip cord" design: an ideal RF array. It needs to be kept as short as possible and Dusty does so. I would suggest figure "8" twisting any unused portion.

Although he supplies a generous length, even Welborne suggests to keep his DC cord as short as possible. But Welborne's is a twisted pair, quasi-shielded design, so should have better RF rejection. He ties the shield on his into the cathode side of the power output. It would be better if he tied it into a PS chassis ground with a third pin. I also wish it wasn't white jacketed and so darn stiff.

singleended40
2007-12-12, 18:13
i have bought a power supply by Channel Islands and it's great. however i would like to move my squeezbox away from my stereo and over by my tv. the umbilical dc power cord supplied by CI is only about 2 feet long. i need approx. a ten foot cord. it has the same connector as inputs into a squeezebox; 2.5mm ID, 5.5mm OD, 11mm long (from squeezebox specs). this connector is used on both ends. does anyone know where i could get a cord like this? if not, does anyone know the part # of this connector so i could custom order a cable? sorry guys, i don't know how to solder so please no diy instructions (i just bought an iron and will start giving it a shot as soon as it warms up!)

Ratso,

This item can be purchased at Mouser.com
Part number 502-760 Switchcraft DC plugs 2.5MM X 5.5MM black.
I customized the umbilical cord for my CI VDC-SB PS to my SB2 by using the same length but with monster cable.

Tan

ratso
2007-12-12, 18:28
thanx singleend! just ordered a pair. do these crimp on or solder (please excuse my ignorance in these matters). could you tell me (or anyone recommend) what cable you used?