PDA

View Full Version : NPR Podcast Feeds Fail to Update

Sona
2007-12-08, 17:28
Hi,

I am having a problem with listening to NPR podcasts using Squeezenetwork. Specifically, the Diane Rehm Show and Fresh Air have not been updated on my SB since around Thanksgiving. I checked in iTunes and it is able to recognize and download the latest episodes.

What could be causing this problem? Would it be possible that NPR is blocking the info for my SB?

Can someone else check these feeds using SN on your SB and let me know if you get access to information more current than 11/23/07?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I really miss listening to these podcasts, and I'm not sure I want to go back to having to transfer them to a portable player!

bpa
2007-12-09, 02:33
I used this URL http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast.php?id=13

It works OK on SC and give programs up to 12-07-2007.

On SN I only get programs between 11-12-2007 (12-Nov) and 11-23-2007 (23 Nov)

It must be a caching or fetching problem in SN - holding on to old data for 2 weeks !!
The oldest date shown on SN is 11-12-2007 which is not in the current podcast list from NPR - oldest is 11-26-2007.

Sona
2007-12-09, 13:13
Thanks a lot for checking for me. So what I understand you to be saying is that every SB user trying to access these podcasts through SN will be getting older episodes.

I accessed the current programs through SS this morning, so I guess that is a work around. Usually I prefer to listen through SN to conserve the limited system resources of my geriatric PC, though.

What's behind this caching/fetching problem in SN? Makes me curious how it works.

As an aside, it looks like I might have some firmware updating to do for SC 7 and the beta SN with Slacker and Last, but that will come later...

bpa
2007-12-09, 13:36
Thanks a lot for checking for me. So what I understand you to be saying is that every SB user trying to access these podcasts through SN will be getting older episodes.

It seems so.

It might be coincidence but about 2 weeks ago NPR did a big change on their website and something in the change may have upset SN caching (e.g. change of timestamp in http headers).

Either way, hopefully Andyg will read this thread and fix things.

andyg
2007-12-09, 13:48
Weird, I flushed the cache and it seems to be working properly now.

Sona
2007-12-09, 17:22
Yes, I have the current episodes through SN now.

Whatever the issue is/was, I know that it didn't involve all of the NPR podcasts. For instance, I know that Talk of the Nation was updated to include the Democratic Debate.

Another which was affected was APM: The Story.

Thanks for the help. Since I listen to NPR podcasts frequently, I'll let you know if these issues crop up again.

Sona
2008-01-09, 19:27
Some NPR podcasts are once again not showing most current episodes on the SN.

Diane Rehm - last updated Friday, Jan 4, 2008

Current episode through SS - last updated today, Jan 9, 2008.

Can you please check? It'd be nice to learn why and come up with a permanent fix!

Thanks.

Sona
2008-01-19, 08:36
Update: We're at January 19th and the Diane Rehm Podcast still shows up as having last been updated 1/4/08 in SN.

Sona
2008-03-28, 10:08

March 28, 2008

NPR Podcast feeds are not current through the SqueezeNetwork:

Diane Rehm Show - last updated 3/3/08
Fresh Air - last updated 3/3/08
Day 2 Day - last updated 3/17/08
NPR: Books - 3/23/08
NPR News Summary: 3/28/08
APM: The Story: 3/14/08 or 3/28/08 depending under which menu structure one looks.

(The earlier date is for The Story Podcast as an individual feed under podcasts, the latter for The Story Podcast under the NPR Podcast Feed Main Menu.)

Why is this occurring? Obviously, it is a long standing issue. Does it affect only NPR/public radio podcasts, or has anyone else encountered this issue with other podcast providers?

All is peachy and current when accessing the same podcasts through SS.

Can this issue please be addressed? NPR has a large following. I'm surprised more people aren't complaining. (Unless the groundswell of public discord is occurring in an alternate thread.)

TIN,

Sona

Sona
2008-04-04, 16:04

Same NPR podcasts have still not been updated, so month old content is showing up through SN.

Coupled with the crashed of my computer last week, I am more pissed about this issue than usual:

This is more of a minor annoyance when I can simply switch over to SC, when I don't have the alternative, it makes me more royally pissed.

To quote from the product info page:

"All internet music streaming services are even available when your computer is turned off."

Please make the magic happen.

Sona
2008-04-04, 19:05
I posted in this thread earlier today, but my post is no longer showing up. Please PM me to discuss then, whoever chose to delete the post.

andyg
2008-04-05, 08:09
OK sorry for the delay, I think this bug should actually be fixed now.

Sona
2008-04-09, 12:29
Thank you very much for fixing this!!!

I just checked and today's Diane Rehm Show podcasts are already posted on Squeezenetwork. Other NPR shows are updating in a very timely fashion as well. It looks like when new material posts, Squeezenetwork has access to the most current content, including updating in the middle of the night.

Thanks. I'm psyched.

andyg
2008-04-09, 12:39
On Apr 9, 2008, at 3:29 PM, Sona wrote:
>
> Thank you very much for fixing this!!!
>
> I just checked and today's Diane Rehm Show podcasts are already posted
> on Squeezenetwork. Other NPR shows are updating in a very timely
> fashion as well. It looks like when new material posts,
> Squeezenetwork
> has access to the most current content, including updating in the
> middle
> of the night.
>
> Thanks. I'm psyched.

Yep. What happened was these feeds specify a cache time of 0, meaning
you aren't supposed to cache them. This works fine in SC because our