PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox and Harmony 885

scala
2007-12-07, 14:57
Hello, new thread and please forgive if this topic has already been addressed. In this case please direct me to the relevant posts.

I own a SqueezeBox3 and a Harmony 885 remote since a few months. I'm very happy with the quality of both devices, still I have a couple of small issues that I would like to clarify.

- The standard SB3 remote has a toggle power on/off button. The presets of the Harmony 885 include also two discrete power-on and power-off commands for the SB3. These are extremely practical in programming activities for my audio system. However the power-toggle command has the ability of waking up from standby the computer running SlimServer 6.5.4 (running WinXP and set to standby/network wake up for obvious energy saving reasons). For some reason, the discrete power-on command is not able to wake-up the computer. The discrete power-on works fine only when the computer and Slimeserver are already running. This is annoying since I have to go through a more complicated procedure with the Harmony the first time of the day I switch on my system. Is it a specific problem of my set-up and is there a work-around? I have really the feeling it is the way the SB3 responds to remote commands, and not due to the Harmony itself.

- A parallel issue is that when the computer wakes up from standby (using power-toggle as mentioned), the SB3 does not really switch on but goes only to standby (meaning that the display goes from completely black to displaying the clock). This messes up again any activity programmed with the Harmony 885, since it now believes that the SB3 is turned on, while it is in reality in standby. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks!

Ur[s]uS
2007-12-08, 06:14
Hello, new thread and please forgive if this topic has already been addressed. In this case please direct me to the relevant posts.

I own a SqueezeBox3 and a Harmony 885 remote since a few months. I'm very happy with the quality of both devices, still I have a couple of small issues that I would like to clarify.

- The standard SB3 remote has a toggle power on/off button. The presets of the Harmony 885 include also two discrete power-on and power-off commands for the SB3. These are extremely practical in programming activities for my audio system. However the power-toggle command has the ability of waking up from standby the computer running SlimServer 6.5.4 (running WinXP and set to standby/network wake up for obvious energy saving reasons). For some reason, the discrete power-on command is not able to wake-up the computer. The discrete power-on works fine only when the computer and Slimeserver are already running. This is annoying since I have to go through a more complicated procedure with the Harmony the first time of the day I switch on my system. Is it a specific problem of my set-up and is there a work-around? I have really the feeling it is the way the SB3 responds to remote commands, and not due to the Harmony itself.

- A parallel issue is that when the computer wakes up from standby (using power-toggle as mentioned), the SB3 does not really switch on but goes only to standby (meaning that the display goes from completely black to displaying the clock). This messes up again any activity programmed with the Harmony 885, since it now believes that the SB3 is turned on, while it is in reality in standby. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks!

with #1, you want SB3 power on to "wake on lan" the computer OR do you want the 885 to emit another IR code to trigger an IR receiver in your computer?

i presume WOL - in which case, suggest search for WOL/wake-on-lan issues in forum - e.g.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=40259

with #2, standby is just "not playing" (rather than playing) - whether SB3 displays clock depends on your player settings; it can be displayed when off/not playing/playing

suggest adding code to 885 that sets SB3 to "Browse Music" or "Now Playing" instead? i did not have this issue setting up 885 - and a left/right arrow should do the trick anyway?

scala
2007-12-09, 10:53
uS;247670']with #1, you want SB3 power on to "wake on lan" the computer OR do you want the 885 to emit another IR code to trigger an IR receiver in your computer?

i presume WOL - in which case, suggest search for WOL/wake-on-lan issues in forum - e.g.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=40259

with #2, standby is just "not playing" (rather than playing) - whether SB3 displays clock depends on your player settings; it can be displayed when off/not playing/playing

suggest adding code to 885 that sets SB3 to "Browse Music" or "Now Playing" instead? i did not have this issue setting up 885 - and a left/right arrow should do the trick anyway?

Hello, many thanks for these suggestions. I meant WOL indeed. I will check the other thread, thanks.

I will also verifiy your other suggestion and keep you posted, thanks!

scala
2007-12-11, 01:54
Hello again.

In fact WOL works very well - if use the power on/off toggle button, either on the standard SB3 remote or with my Harmony 885.
However it does not work with the discrete power on command that can be programmed with the Harmony software. It is true that a discrete power on does not exist in the SB3 remote, but the IR code definition files of the Slim software do foresee a discrete power on function.
Is there a problem with my programming of the Harmony, or is it intrinsic in the SB3?
Ur[s]uS did you manage to have WOL using the discrete power on of the Harmony 885.

Thanks for the help.

Ur[s]uS
2007-12-11, 14:57
Hello again.

In fact WOL works very well - if use the power on/off toggle button, either on the standard SB3 remote or with my Harmony 885.
However it does not work with the discrete power on command that can be programmed with the Harmony software. It is true that a discrete power on does not exist in the SB3 remote, but the IR code definition files of the Slim software do foresee a discrete power on function.
Is there a problem with my programming of the Harmony, or is it intrinsic in the SB3?
Ur[s]uS did you manage to have WOL using the discrete power on of the Harmony 885.

Thanks for the help.

do either of these threads deal with the problem
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22796&highlight=discrete+power
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=196151&postcount=6

i do not WOL with 885

scala
2007-12-12, 05:22
uS;248428']do either of these threads deal with the problem
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=22796&highlight=discrete+power
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=196151&postcount=6

i do not WOL with 885

Thanks!
The first thread suggests that there is no real solution, but only a work-around that I will also try to implement on my Harmony 885 (hope already tonight).