PDA

View Full Version : Itunes purchases work?

azumandus
2007-12-07, 12:27
Just out of curiosity, do some purchases on itunes run on the squeeze box? I brought some band music and mambo song and they worked through the box, yet I just brought some symphony music and it didn't.

J.Lopez

bklaas
2007-12-07, 12:33
Just out of curiosity, do some purchases on itunes run on the squeeze box? I brought some band music and mambo song and they worked through the box, yet I just brought some symphony music and it didn't.

J.Lopez

this depends on whether you are buying iTunes DRMed music or DRM-Free music (they sell both kinds). Squeezebox will not play Apple DRM music. If this is annoying to you, my suggestion is to vote with your pocketbook and stop buying any music crippled with DRM.

cheers,
#!/ben

kdf
2007-12-07, 12:35
Quoting azumandus <azumandus.318kjz1197055801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Just out of curiosity, do some purchases on itunes run on the squeeze
> box?

standard iTunes purchases have Digital Rights Management, so they will
not play with SlimServer or Squeezebox. iTunes Plus purchases, I
believe, only have an email address embedded for tracking and should
work with SlimServer and Squeezebox.

-kdf

azumandus
2007-12-07, 12:42
I usually don't buy trust me. But Itunes is handy once in awhile. How can I tell which songs are DRM free or not? Thanks

Nostromo
2007-12-07, 15:20
DRM-ed music work just fine on the Squeezebox, provided you have removed the DRM. Just burn on a CD the music you bought on iTMS and then rip it in any format you want (FLAC, for example) Voilą, doing this will remove it!

funkstar
2007-12-08, 05:23
I usually don't buy trust me. But Itunes is handy once in awhile. How can I tell which songs are DRM free or not? Thanks

I believe non-DRM music is more expensive by about 30c and a higher bitrate - 256kbit i think

Enoch Soames
2007-12-08, 08:19
iTunes recently knocked the price down, so both the DRM and the DRM-free tracks are the same price - .99.

There doesn't seem to be much logic as to which artists and tracks get the upgrade; it looks as though most new releases are still AAC 128 and DRM-crippled. Just look for the "iTunes +" designation.

Eric Seaberg
2007-12-08, 08:45
I'm a BIG iTunes PLUS fan, but have just discovered Amazon's MP3 downloads as well. They're encoded at 256kbps and priced about the same as iTunes but without DRM.

I bought some Christmas music from them yesterday and on some of the classical brass pieces noticed some BAD artifacts in their encoding. I've let them know about it and hope to get some kind of refund.

If you just don't want to buy the CD and rip it yourself to a lossless format, this is a good alternative to the limited selections on iTunes PLUS.

funkstar
2007-12-08, 08:59
iTunes recently knocked the price down, so both the DRM and the DRM-free tracks are the same price - .99.
I didn't know this.

There doesn't seem to be much logic as to which artists and tracks get the upgrade; it looks as though most new releases are still AAC 128 and DRM-crippled. Just look for the "iTunes +" designation.
It all depends on the record company i think. I can't remember which ones have and haven't signed up to iTunes+