PDA

View Full Version : low sound on squeezebox thru surr snd system?

duke2555
2007-12-07, 11:25
I tried hooking my squeezebox up throu the audio ports on my PIONEER Home Theatre in a box system, but wen I switch to the audio 2 on the remote, I get very low sound coming thru my surr sound speakers.

I hook up my turntable with a powered preamp? or filter before connecting to my HTB and it works great.

Do I need a small amp before hooking into the audio ports on my HTB? if so, what is a recommended amp for that situation? it should be small and relatively inexpensive as it would only be for the squeezebox.

thanks

Mark Lanctot
2007-12-07, 11:30
The Squeezebox should be comparable in volume to your other components.

Is the Squeezebox volume turned down? Press volume up on the SB remote.

Is there any attenuation on the Preamp Volume Control? Player Settings - Audio, should be 0 (i.e. no attenuation).

duke2555
2007-12-07, 11:39
I turned the volume up on the squeezebox...I actually placed an audio/video (non powered) A/B switch on the audio jack on my HTB so I could switch between my turntable and the squeezebox. The turntable worked fine, but the squeezebox lost volume. The HTB is a PIONEER and is quite different from a conventional system...the amp and speaker hookups are actually on the subwoofer. The dvd player has the peripheral hookups for sat, audio, video etc. So, my sat receiver audio, turntable etc are hooked up on the back of the dvd player.

That is why I think the squeezebox in this situation is not amplified.

????

Mark Lanctot
2007-12-07, 11:48
I actually placed an audio/video (non powered) A/B switch on the audio jack on my HTB so I could switch between my turntable and the squeezebox.

What happens if you bypass the switch and connect directly to the HTB? Just for experimentation purposes.

Ben Sandee
2007-12-07, 12:13
On Dec 7, 2007 12:39 PM, duke2555 <
duke2555.318i8n1197052801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I turned the volume up on the squeezebox...I actually placed an
> audio/video (non powered) A/B switch on the audio jack on my HTB so I
> could switch between my turntable and the squeezebox

If you are connecting the SB through the "phono" jacks, that could be the
problem. Phono is not the same as all other RCA cable pair jacks. Do you
have a CD-in or AUX-in that you can use at least to test?

Ben

bert1e
2007-12-08, 14:49
You shouldnt connect the squeezebox up to phono but one of the aux connections. On my setup I am using the digital output of the squeezebox into a digital input of my amp. This does bypass the squeezebox dac but it does mean I can play dts files

CatBus
2007-12-08, 15:45
Also--ReplayGain (usually) reduces playback volume. It's off by default though. It's called "Automatic Volume Adjustment" by SlimServer.