PDA

View Full Version : Homeplugs

davidcotton
2007-12-07, 06:25
Hello

Decided to get a set of homeplugs but can't decide which. I've seen the devolo 14mbps set for 60.00. I've also seen the maplins own brand "netricity" 85mbps set for about the same. I guess I'm asking how come the maplins own brand can do the higher rated set for the same price as the devolo? Also is 14mbps more than enough to stream FLAC/Wav files over the network?

Cheers.

mikerob
2007-12-07, 06:49
Hello

Decided to get a set of homeplugs but can't decide which. I've seen the devolo 14mbps set for 60.00. I've also seen the maplins own brand "netricity" 85mbps set for about the same. I guess I'm asking how come the maplins own brand can do the higher rated set for the same price as the devolo? Also is 14mbps more than enough to stream FLAC/Wav files over the network?

Cheers.

I've been using a pair of devolos for over a year to connect a Squeezebox in a wireless deadzone (can't remember the model numbers...) They've been completely problem free and I haven't touched them since I set them up.

I'm not sure what the max bandwidth is but I've been streaming Apple Lossless at approx. 1Mbps without a problem. Both adaptors are also connected into extension leads rather than directly into a wall socket.

bpa
2007-12-07, 07:45
I'd advise buying the 85Mbps although real difference is not that big.

Homeplug is a bit like wireless - there will be good and bad locations.

If you have a "bad" location and you have have the 14Mbps - then you may get 1Mbps throughput whereas the 85mbps may have 2-5Mbps.

Also I think Homeplug is like old Ethernet - it is a broadcast contention network so if you have more than one "conversation" on the network - the available bandwidth will be reduced.

This may help.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/24208/51/

Phil Leigh
2007-12-07, 11:59
I strongly recommend these:

dLAN 200 AV with HomePlug AV standard

They just...work.

sebage
2007-12-08, 05:59
.. and I have the Netgear homeplug units that in theory run at 14Mbps. I stream FLAC all day long and have never had a drop out.

Seem to remember that the most you need is just over 1Mbps for red book CD playback, but I'm sure a dig in the forums will get you the correct maths.

In a nutshell, I have oodles of bandwidth and the units are simplicity themselves. Which is more than could be said for wireless....

Ur[s]uS
2007-12-08, 06:18
solwise in the UK have been good for me - triple plug is handy for the home entertainment side of the house