PDA

View Full Version : Using both MusicMagic and filesystem aslibrary source doesn't seem to work

eater
2007-12-05, 20:16
When I select "Use MusicMagic" in my SlimServer 6.5.4 settings, and leave the "Music Folder" field empty, everything works fine -- all my tracks are mixable, with that little |M| next to them.

But when I add my music library folder to the "Music Folder" field and rescan, suddenly about half the tracks in the library lose their mixability. These are tracks that have been successfully scanned by MusicIP. Often half the tracks on an album will have the |M| and the other half won't. If I clear the "Music Folder" field and rescan, all the tracks have the |M|.

Why? What is going on? How can I fix this?

Diana
2007-12-06, 01:57
When I select "Use MusicMagic" in my SlimServer 6.5.4 settings, and leave the "Music Folder" field empty, everything works fine -- all my tracks are mixable, with that little |M| next to them.

But when I add my music library folder to the "Music Folder" field and rescan, suddenly about half the tracks in the library lose their mixability. These are tracks that have been successfully scanned by MusicIP. Often half the tracks on an album will have the |M| and the other half won't. If I clear the "Music Folder" field and rescan, all the tracks have the |M|.

Why? What is going on? How can I fix this?

Put simply, you can either let MusicIP organize the library, or you can let SS do it, but you can't let *both* do it - SS won't see the MusicIP 'mixability'.

IFAIK, the only reason for setting a music library folder is so that you can browse it from your SB. If that's what you want, a good trick is to clear the music folder and playlist boxes *before* you do a rescan with 'use MusicMagic' set; and after the scan has finished, reinsert the music folder and playlist settings. (You'll need to remember to do this every time you scan.)

HTH

eater
2007-12-06, 08:42
IFAIK, the only reason for setting a music library folder is so that you can browse it from your SB. If that's what you want, a good trick is to clear the music folder and playlist boxes *before* you do a rescan with 'use MusicMagic' set; and after the scan has finished, reinsert the music folder and playlist settings. (You'll need to remember to do this every time you scan.)

I don't want to browse my music folder, but I do want to listen to my M4A files, which are not supported by MusicIP. I add music every day, and depend on automatic rescans, so that "delete the music folder field, rescan, then reinsert" would be very inconvenient.

Is there no way to integrate the two sources? I had thought that was possible.

davep
2007-12-06, 09:02
Well, I have to say that for me, running ubuntu, I have been able to have both MusicIP integration turned on AND have my music directory entered in the Slimserver (and now SqueezeCenter) settings page. Apart for some difficulty a year or more back, when I was getting some double entries, it has been trouble free and allows me to browse all my music including those tracks which I have chosen not to run through MIP scanning.

No special requirements to delete and reinsert entries. I have an automatic rescan set for 2am everyday and it does this unattended with no issues.

I'm not sure what is different between our two setups but I can attest that it can - and does - work.

davep

Diana
2007-12-06, 09:03
eater wrote:
>> IFAIK, the only reason for setting a music library folder is so that you
>> can browse it from your SB. If that's what you want, a good trick is to
>> clear the music folder and playlist boxes *before* you do a rescan with
>> 'use MusicMagic' set; and after the scan has finished, reinsert the
>> music folder and playlist settings. (You'll need to remember to do this
>> every time you scan.)
>
> I don't want to browse my music folder, but I do want to listen to my
> M4A files, which are not supported by MusicIP. I add music every day,
> and depend on automatic rescans, so that "delete the music folder
> field, rescan, then reinsert" would be very inconvenient.
>
> Is there no way to integrate the two sources? I had thought that was
> possible.
>
>

Ah, I see your problem. I doubt there's a fix: as I understand it,
when you 'use MusicMagic', SC uses the information in the MusicIP
library to create its database; but if you point SC at your music
folder, it will use that directly instead, and won't pick up the
mixability information. This is certainly my long experience with 6.5.x
and MusicIP.

Maybe one of the developers can advise whether there's a fix, or whether
7.0 will work differently.

Sorry not to be of more help to you

Diana
2007-12-06, 09:12
Well, I have to say that for me, running ubuntu, I have been able to have both MusicIP integration turned on AND have my music directory entered in the Slimserver (and now SqueezeCenter) settings page...
No special requirements to delete and reinsert entries. I have an automatic rescan set for 2am everyday and it does this unattended with no issues.

I'm not sure what is different between our two setups but I can attest that it can - and does - work.
davep

Davep >>> Sorry - hadn't seen your post when I replied via e-mail. This is very odd: I've used 6.x.x + MusicIP with WinXP and Ubuntu, and with MIP as a WinXP app and as a headless server in GNU/Linux... and I've never been able to get proper MIP-mixable scans if I've had a music folder listed in server settings (and believe me I've tried!).

I've no idea what's going on here. All I can add is that I've also always had trouble getting MIP to work with my music on a network drive, irrespective of OS, and now have the music on a big internal HD.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Siduhe
2007-12-06, 09:42
Hi diana,

My experience with MIP (which is admittedly very straightfoward compared to what some experience) is the same as Dave's - I use MIP and have an entry for Browse Music folder with no problems. XP box, Slimserver [various versions from at least 5.4 to 7.0], I've also run MIP as an application and a service and never experienced this.

As a wild finger in the air, I wonder if it is related to the fact your music is stored on a network drive?

Sorry not to have more insight but can confirm it's possible to integrate the two sources.

eater
2007-12-06, 09:55
if you point SC at your music folder, it will use that directly instead, and won't pick up the mixability information.

No, it's clearly drawing from both sources, the folder and the MusicIP library, since about half the tracks on each album I view have the |M| icon and half don't. I just want to figure out a way to make it do so consistently.

eater
2007-12-06, 10:18
I wonder if it is related to the fact your music is stored on a network drive?

In my case, my music is stored locally, on the same headless Linux machine that's running MIP and slimserver.

Diana
2007-12-06, 10:35
Siduhe wrote:
> My experience with MIP... is the same as Dave's
<snip>
> As a wild finger in the air, I wonder if it is related to the fact your
> music is stored on a network drive?
> Sorry not to have more insight but can confirm it's possible to
> integrate the two sources.

Hi, Siduhe. Good to hear from you!

No, I *don't* use a network drive - haven't for ages, as MIP didn't seem
to like that at all. But interesting to hear you've had no problems, as
my experience has been exactly like eaters: if I use MIP with music
folder set, the SC library gets in a mess, with some music mixable and a
lot not. But what you say makes me doubt my own eyes (I have a lot of
respect for your knowledge of MIP+SC, as you know!). So maybe, if I get
chance, I'll run some experimental scans later.

BTW, what version of SC are you now using?

--
Diana

Diana
2007-12-06, 11:30
...it's clearly drawing from both sources, the folder and the MusicIP library, since about half the tracks on each album I view have the |M| icon and half don't...

Well, in view of Siduhe's and davep's observations, I've just done the experiment again, and I see exactly what eater sees: clear library & rescan everything with just 'use MusicMagic' -> all tracks mixable; repeat with both 'use MusicMagic' AND path to music folder -> a mixture of mixable and unmixable albums. (In both cases, I did not specify a playlist folder.)

eater >>> Sorry for being imprecise; you're right that SC seems to use both MIP and the music folder as sources when both are set; though exactly what's going on probably only the mysqld guys can tell us.

Any gurus got insights into this???

(BTW, I'm using Ubuntu Feisty + SlimServer Version: 6.5.3 - 12121 - Debian - EN - iso-8859-1 + MIP headless server, all running on the same physical (500Gb) drive as my music collection. Songs are pretty much entirely FLAC with a few MP3s; and the library is in two parts, connected by a simlink - neither of which facts seem related to how the database gets scrunched when I scan with MIP+MusicFolder set. But I am wearing a t-shirt. It's blue. Could be relevant?? ;-) )

eater
2007-12-06, 12:39
Another piece of information:

Right now I'm looking at two albums by the same artist, in the SlimServer web interface. On one album, the first 10 out of the 12 tracks have the little |M| icon. However, when I click the icon, it brings up a MusicMagic Mix that's empty.

The other album has 8 out of 15 tracks with the icon, and clicking those icons successfully generates a mix.

Siduhe
2007-12-06, 12:52
A couple of thoughts - I'm assuming that if you navigate to the songs that don't work in Slimserver in the MusicIP app, they are fully analysed and you can trigger a mix ok?

My guess is that the scan is falling over part way through, at the point where it tries to integrate the Slimserver database with the MIP database. Is it always the same songs that are unmixable?

What happens if you run the scan from the command line using the debugging flags for scanning, MSQL and MIP. I'm not a linux buff, but I think it will be something like:

"./scanner.pl --wipe --progress --d_sql --d_scan --d_parse --d_musicmagic" - you may also need to give a location to store the log file e.g. "/ext/media" or similar

Does the log output show you any error messages which would give a clue what's going on? The other thing I would be interested to know is if you have archived your MIP analysis permanently onto the files? I started to do that recently and realised that it seemed to be messing up my tags in Slimserver.

eater
2007-12-06, 13:58
I'm assuming that if you navigate to the songs that don't work in Slimserver in the MusicIP app, they are fully analysed and you can trigger a mix ok?

I don't have access to a GUI MusicIP app, but when I leave the "Music Folder" field blank in the SlimServer config, then yes, all those tracks can seed a mix.

I ran slimserver-scanner --wipe --logfile=/var/log/slimserver/slimserver.log --prefsfile=/etc/slimserver/slimserver.pref --musicmagic --progress --d_sql --d_scan --d_parse --d_musicmagic

It looks like first it runs through the music folder, in alphabetical order, and then it runs through the MusicMagic library, in some sort of random order. The process takes about 30 minutes.

Right at the end of the log I see:

2007-12-06 15:51:40.3532 ERROR: Scanner: Failed when running main scan: [Can't call method "name" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema.pm line 1781, <MMMDATA> chunk 4831.]

2007-12-06 15:51:40.3541 ERROR: Scanner: Skipping post-process & Not updating lastRescanTime!

After the rescan, exactly the same tracks do and don't have the |M| as before, and the ones that generated an empty mix before continue to do so.

eater
2007-12-06, 14:00
Oh, and yes, I do archive the analysis using genpuid.

kdf
2007-12-06, 14:14
Quoting eater <eater.316u1z1196974801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> 2007-12-06 15:51:40.3532 ERROR: Scanner: Failed when running main scan:
> [Can't call method "name" on an undefined value at
> /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema.pm line 1781, <MMMDATA> chunk 4831.]

The scan in faliing, so you won't get a full MusicIP update, thus an
incomplete mixer status.

add --d_info to the command line you ran before. That should
hopefully give a better idea of what track is the problem and where
it's really failing. line 1781 doesn't match up with the kind of
error reported here, at least not in 6.5.4.

-kdf

mherger
2007-12-07, 00:47
> In my case, my music is stored locally, on the same headless Linux
> machine that's running MIP and slimserver.

I've seen issues when a file/path contained non-latin characters. MIP doesn't handle them correctly, thus leading to mismatches between SC's scan results and MIP's list of songs.

Michael

Diana
2007-12-07, 00:51
I ran slimserver-scanner --wipe --logfile=/var/log/slimserver/slimserver.log --prefsfile=/etc/slimserver/slimserver.pref --musicmagic --progress --d_sql --d_scan --d_parse --d_musicmagic

add --d_info to the command line you ran before. That should hopefully give a better idea of what track is the problem and where it's really failing.

I thought I'd try this, too. For starters, I left the SC settings alone - no path to music folder. The scan completely removed the MIP mixability info, which is not what happens with a scan from the web interface. Have I got the command wrong?

As I'm not very familiar with running SC / scanner from the command line, I'd be grateful for a 'cut-and-paste' instruction for the simplest way to get the necessary data about the scan.

What do you reckon, KDE?

(And, BTW, where can I get instructions about slimserver and scanner CLI paramaters / options? There seem to be no MAN documents on my system.)

Diana
2007-12-07, 00:55
I've seen issues when a file/path contained non-latin characters. MIP doesn't handle them correctly, thus leading to mismatches between SC's scan results and MIP's list of songs.

Michael

Ah, ha! I recall this now you mention it, Michael. Certainly, MIP doesn't create mixes when seeded with such files. And I've got a lot of music with Gaelic and Spanish diacritics in the file names. Worth stripping them out? (Perhaps over the Xmas holidays - a two-week job at least!)

mherger
2007-12-07, 01:14
> of music with Gaelic and Spanish diacritics in the file names. Worth
> stripping them out? (Perhaps over the Xmas holidays - a two-week job at
> least!)

I did so - successfully. It's a pain, but for now the only solution working reliably for me (Linux, MIP headless).

Michael

Dougal
2007-12-07, 03:59
Yep,
MusicIP on linux does not like non asci characters in the file path, thankfully white space seems ok.
There are a few tools available to make the work of replacing the accented with non accented characters a little easier.
Once this is done there is still a problem with the MusicIP database, I resorted to removing the file and rebuilding it, not elegant, but not too bad if the analysis is saved in the metadata.
On my box I am now able to use the browse library option.
Doug.

mikerob
2007-12-07, 07:07
MusicIP on a Mac can analyse tracks with accented characters in the file path, however I've raised this bug (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5285) for a problem in Slimserver 6.5 where Slimserver doesn't handle files paths containing accents correctly when importing tracks from the MusicIP database.

This used to work in Slimserver 6.2.

I'll try out SC 7 iver Christmas if I have some time.

kdf
2007-12-07, 09:25
On 6-Dec-07, at 11:51 PM, Diana wrote:

>
> eater;247413 Wrote:
>> I ran slimserver-scanner --wipe
>> --logfile=/var/log/slimserver/slimserver.log
>> --prefsfile=/etc/slimserver/slimserver.pref --musicmagic --progress
>> --d_sql --d_scan --d_parse --d_musicmagic
>
> kdf;247420 Wrote:
>> add --d_info to the command line you ran before. That should
>> hopefully
>> give a better idea of what track is the problem and where it's really
>> failing.
>
> I thought I'd try this, too. For starters, I left the SC settings
> alone - no path to music folder. The scan completely removed the MIP
> mixability info, which is not what happens with a scan from the web
> interface. Have I got the command wrong?
>
the --musicmagic option is the one that enabled the MusicIP scan, so
you should have gotten something. However, I suspect the scan may
still have failed somewhere.
/var/log/slimserver/slimserver.log should show the information. Is
your log file there? Try to find errors from around the time you ran
the scan, or try again using a slightly different filename for the --
logfile option so that you have a log file specific to the test.
>

> What do you reckon, KDE?
>
> (And, BTW, where can I get instructions about slimserver and scanner
> CLI paramaters / options? There seem to be no MAN documents on my
> system.)
>
/usr/local/slimserver/slimserver.pl --help
/usr/local/slimserver/scanner.pl

using no options on the scanner will trigger the usage message.

-kdf

eater
2007-12-07, 14:40
add --d_info to the command line you ran before. That should
hopefully give a better idea of what track is the problem and where
it's really failing. line 1781 doesn't match up with the kind of
error reported here, at least not in 6.5.4.

Okay! I ran the command with --d_info and got the same error. I deleted the last track mentioned in the log and ran it again; same error, different track. After three deletions and re-scannings, I got the scan to complete with no error. (None of the erroring tracks had non-Latin characters, by the way.)

Now, at last, every track has the |M| icon in the web interface, but now ALL of them return an "Empty" mix when I click their icon. Previously, only half the tracks had the icon but most of those that did were viable seeds for mixing.

Is this progress?

kdf
2007-12-07, 15:37
everything is progress. It may not seem like it yet, but that's the fun of software. Every problem is a mess until suddenly it's not.

It's not entirely impossible that a number of your tracks have a similar problem and are causing a similar crash. I'd like to see what can be done about fixing that. Can you post the version string given at the bottom of the server settings page? I just want to make sure you are using the exact 6.5.4 release version. My problem is that the error reported doesn't seem to match up with the line number given, so I'm at a loss as to what may be the root cause.

Another option is to try the SqueezeCenter 7.0 Beta builds. There is a lot of work going into these, including a large number of fixes that will not be going back into 6.5.x.

If I can locate the problem section of code with what you have now, I can maybe tell you if it's already been fixed or at least stop it from crashing.

The empty mixes could be a number of things. d_musicmagic should show you a fair bit of output in the log when you try to create one. You can cut and paste some of the info into a browser to test the MusicIP API directly to compare results as well.

-kdf

eater
2007-12-07, 15:53
Can you post the version string given at the bottom of the server settings page?

SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Debian - EN - iso-8859-1

d_musicmagic should show you a fair bit of output in the log when you try to create one.

Yes. Here's some:

2007-12-07 17:46:40.2765 ERROR: Error executing 'SELECT COUNT( * ) FROM tracks me JOIN albums album ON ( album.id = me.album ) WHERE ( ( ( me.customsearch NOT LIKE ? ) OR ( me.customsearch IS NULL ) ) )': Lost connection to MySQL server during query
2007-12-07 17:46:40.2768 ERROR: Backtrace follows:
2007-12-07 17:46:40.2774 Backtrace: frame 0: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (/usr/share/perl5/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 775)
frame 1: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_execute (/usr/share/perl5/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 828)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_select (/usr/share/perl5/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI/Cursor.pm line 79)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Cursor::next (/usr/share/perl5/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm line 920)
frame 4: DBIx::Class::ResultSet::_count (/usr/share/perl5/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm line 881)
frame 5: DBIx::Class::ResultSet::count (/usr/share/slimserver/Plugins/LazySearch2.pm line 2299)
frame 6: Plugins::LazySearch2::lazifyDatabaseType (/usr/share/slimserver/Plugins/LazySearch2.pm line 2203)
frame 7: Plugins::LazySearch2::lazifyDatabase (/usr/share/slimserver/Plugins/LazySearch2.pm line 2179)
frame 8: Plugins::LazySearch2::scanDoneCallback (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Utils/Timers.pm line 182)
frame 9: (eval) (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Utils/Timers.pm line 182)
frame 10: Slim::Utils::Timers::checkTimers (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 502)
frame 11: main::idle (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 452)
frame 12: main::main (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 1076)
2007-12-07 17:46:40.2802 Timer failed: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Error executing 'SELECT COUNT( * ) FROM tracks me JOIN albums album ON ( album.id = me.album ) WHERE ( ( ( me.customsearch NOT LIKE ? ) OR ( me.customsearch IS NULL ) ) )': Lost connection to MySQL server during query at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 74
2007-12-07 17:46:40.4671 ERROR: DBI Connection failed: DBI connect('hostname=127.0.0.1;port=9092;database=sli mserver:mysql_socket=/var/cache/slimserver/slimserver-mysql.sock','slimserver',...) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (111) at /usr/share/perl5/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 654

Another option is to try the SqueezeCenter 7.0 Beta builds.

How beta is it though? Is there a simple .deb upgrade? I don't want to introduce too many new variables to the debugging process.

Diana
2007-12-08, 02:41
...the --musicmagic option is the one that enabled the MusicIP scan, so
you should have gotten something. However, I suspect the scan may
still have failed somewhere.
/var/log/slimserver/slimserver.log should show the information. Is
your log file there? Try to find errors from around the time you ran
the scan, or try again using a slightly different filename for the --
logfile option so that you have a log file specific to the test.

Thanks for this. I did look at the logfile, and also created a separate log file for the run (oddly, I could only open it with Emacs, not Gedit). It was very unfamiliar stuff! But I'll have another go in the light of your advice, and of further info in...

.../usr/local/slimserver/slimserver.pl --help
using no options on the scanner will trigger the usage message.

Thanks for these notes. I overlooked the need to specify .pl to get --help or usage. Doh!

Diana
2007-12-08, 03:13
/usr/local/slimserver/slimserver.pl --help
using no options on the scanner will trigger the usage message

Ah, well, kdf, that's probably right for most distros, I guess. But for the sake of others running Ubuntu, like me, I thought I'd better clarify that Ubuntu seems to install the files as

/usr/sbin/slimserver
and
/usr/sbin/scanner

without the .pl extension. (At least, that's as far as I can see - prepared to be corrected if wrong!)

Anyway from the command line, you just need

slimserver --help

or

scanner (with no options)

Much simpler than expected!

Diana
2007-12-08, 07:02
Yep, MusicIP on linux does not like non asci characters in the file path... There are a few tools available to make the work of replacing the accented with non accented characters a little easier.
Which tools, Doug?

kdf
2007-12-08, 14:01
On 7-Dec-07, at 2:53 PM, eater wrote:

>
>> Can you post the version string given at the bottom of the server
>> settings page?
>
> SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Debian - EN - iso-8859-1
>
Thanks. well, that does confirm that it's the right build number.
The bad news is that the error becomes one of those illogical wrong
line number dumps that really don't help much.

>> d_musicmagic should show you a fair bit of output in the log when you
>> try to create one.
>
> Yes. Here's some:
> 2007-12-07 17:46:40.4671 ERROR: DBI Connection failed: DBI
> connect
> ('hostname=127.0.0.1;port=9092;database=slimserver :mysql_socket=/
> var/cache/slimserver/slimserver-mysql.sock','slimserver',...)
> failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (111) at
> /usr/share/perl5/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 654

This would seem to show that mysql is crashing somewhere. Are you
able to browse after trying a mix? I was expecting more of a
"creating mix for...", "request: ..." or "couldn't get mix for.."

Try looking in the event viewer (control panel->administration tools)
and see if there is anything in there about mysql crashing.

-kdf

eater
2007-12-08, 14:54
This would seem to show that mysql is crashing somewhere. Are you able to browse after trying a mix?

Yes, perfectly well.

Try looking in the event viewer (control panel->administration tools) and see if there is anything in there about mysql crashing.

I am running on a headless server. Would that information be available anywhere else?

kdf
2007-12-08, 15:07
On 8-Dec-07, at 1:54 PM, eater wrote:

>
>> This would seem to show that mysql is crashing somewhere. Are you
>> able
>> to browse after trying a mix?
>
> Yes, perfectly well.
>
>> Try looking in the event viewer (control panel->administration tools)
>> and see if there is anything in there about mysql crashing.
>
> I am running on a headless server. Would that information be available
> anywhere else?

d'oh. sorry... Unix forum, but all looks the same from email :)
mysql logs maybe (/var/log)? Are you using your own mysql or the one
included with slimserver?

It's also worth seeing if this is always the case. Are you getting
the same error with mysql every time you try to make a mix?

I'm still not convinced that you are getting through the scan
completely and I can't see what's causing it due to the line number
not making sense. One of the songs that you have removed to avoid
the scan crash, does it have an album title? artist? genre tag?
Have you tried a refresh songs from musicIP to make sure it's cleared
of old data?

-kdf

eater
2007-12-08, 15:31
mysql logs maybe (/var/log)? Are you using your own mysql or the one included with slimserver?

No crash is recorded in the MySQL logs. It looks like SlimServer is using my MySQL instance and not one of its own, but I didn't configure it one way or another that I recall.

Are you getting the same error with mysql every time you try to make a mix?

Yes.

One of the songs that you have removed to avoid the scan crash, does it have an album title? artist? genre tag? Have you tried a refresh songs from musicIP to make sure it's cleared of old data?

One track has title and artist but no genre; the others have all three.

I have refreshed tracks in MusicMagic, yes.

Dougal
2007-12-08, 15:36
Which tools, Doug?

To be honest I used Jim Willshire's "Bulk Rename Utility" on a win box to do most of housekeeping a while ago.
Now on ubuntu I've been playing with a command line tool "detox".
http://detox.sourceforge.net/
Not yet in repos (will be in hardy), but built from source ok, only had one dependency (apt-get install bison).
In the repos there is a gui tool "pyrenamer" that may be useful.

Doug.

Diana
2007-12-08, 16:27
kdf wrote:
<snip>
> the --musicmagic option is the one that enabled the MusicIP scan, so
> you should have gotten something. However, I suspect the scan may
> still have failed somewhere.
> /var/log/slimserver/slimserver.log should show the information. Is
> your log file there? Try to find errors from around the time you ran
> the scan, or try again using a slightly different filename for the --
> logfile option so that you have a log file specific to the test.

Well, I don't know what to make of this. I ran

slimserver-scanner --logfile=/home/diana/Desktop/scanlog71208 --progress
--prefsfile=/etc/slimserver/slimserver.pref --d_scan --d_musicmagic
--d_info --wipe --musicmagic

This should work, but it doesn't: it results in a library with no MIP
mixability (and, BTW, it does not show a progress bar); yet there are no
obvious 'ERROR' lines in the log file.

I've tried scans from the web interface (with 'use MusicMagic' set) both
with and without a music folder specified:

1) If I specify the music folder in Server Settings, a
noticeable number of files have no MIP mixability icon; but there's
nothing obvious about these files that distinguishes them from the
mixable majority.

2) If I don't specify a music folder, songs are marked as mixable just
as they should be, and everything works fine.

In both cases, the slimserver.log file shows no 'ERROR' lines; but
there is a series of 'Size mismatch' lines at the end of the file,
referring to line 132 and line 257. Here's a sample:

Size mismatch on 4582
at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Formats/MP3.pm line 132
totalSeconds is 0 - we couldn't find either TOTALSAMPLES or SAMPLERATE!
setting totalSeconds to 1 to avoid divide by zero error!
Size mismatch on 4582
at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Formats/MP3.pm line 257

Any suggestions?

Diana
2007-12-08, 16:31
To be honest I used Jim Willshire's "Bulk Rename Utility" on a win box to do most of housekeeping a while ago. Now on ubuntu I've been playing with a command line tool "detox".

Thanks, Doug. I'll have a look.

kdf
2007-12-08, 17:15
On 8-Dec-07, at 3:27 PM, Diana Artemis wrote:

> kdf wrote:
> <snip>
>> the --musicmagic option is the one that enabled the MusicIP scan, so
>> you should have gotten something. However, I suspect the scan may
>> still have failed somewhere.
>> /var/log/slimserver/slimserver.log should show the information. Is
>> your log file there? Try to find errors from around the time you ran
>> the scan, or try again using a slightly different filename for the --
>> logfile option so that you have a log file specific to the test.
>
> Well, I don't know what to make of this. I ran
>
> slimserver-scanner --logfile=/home/diana/Desktop/scanlog71208 --
> progress
> --prefsfile=/etc/slimserver/slimserver.pref --d_scan --d_musicmagic
> --d_info --wipe --musicmagic
>
try looking or scanner.pl. I never liked this debian abstaction.
The progress bar is something that really only works without the --
logfile redirection
It uses a character set that doesnt' work well with text logs.

>
> Size mismatch on 4582
> at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Formats/MP3.pm line 132
> totalSeconds is 0 - we couldn't find either TOTALSAMPLES or
> SAMPLERATE!
> setting totalSeconds to 1 to avoid divide by zero error!
> Size mismatch on 4582
> at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Formats/MP3.pm line 257
>
> Any suggestions?

unfortunately not. I do use MIP headless with SC7 on linux (debian-
based) and I had the same setup when using 6.5.
I did not have problems with non-mixable songs except for cases where
the tracks were indeed not mixable according to MIP.

d_info should be reporting the mixable state of each track as it is
imported, and these are scanned after the music folder scan, so
should merge any new info with anything existing.
Any songs that don't get processed would still show up as non-
mixable. Does the scan log show the various artist processing,
artwork and db optmisation? If you arent' seeing signs of this,
d_import will more clearly mark the phases of the scan. The only
explanation I can think of is that the scan is not getting the
complete MIP data set.

-kdf

kdf
2007-12-08, 17:53
On 8-Dec-07, at 2:31 PM, eater wrote:

>
> No crash is recorded in the MySQL logs. It looks like SlimServer is
> using my MySQL instance and not one of its own, but I didn't configure
> it one way or another that I recall.
>
>> Are you getting the same error with mysql every time you try to
>> make a
>> mix?
>
> Yes.

That's not good. I don't know what else to suggest. I'm not much of
an expert on the quirks of mysql.
It should 'just work'. If it's not crashing, then something else
seems to be blocking the connection.
-kdf

Diana
2007-12-08, 23:47
kdf wrote:
> try looking or scanner.pl.

I've tried looking for scanner.pl, but there does not seem to be a file
called scanner.pl on my system. (I certainly can't 'locate' it; and
the file in /usr/sbin is simply 'slimserver-scanner'.)

Anyone using Feisty? Can you find or locate 'scanner.pl'?

kdf
2007-12-08, 23:53
On 8-Dec-07, at 10:47 PM, Diana Artemis wrote:

> kdf wrote:
>> try looking or scanner.pl.
>
> I've tried looking for scanner.pl, but there does not seem to be a
> file
> called scanner.pl on my system. (I certainly can't 'locate' it; and
> the file in /usr/sbin is simply 'slimserver-scanner'.)
>
> Anyone using Feisty? Can you find or locate 'scanner.pl'?
/opt/slimserver, /usr/local/slimserver?
-k

Diana
2007-12-09, 00:31
kdf wrote:
> On 8-Dec-07, at 10:47 PM, Diana Artemis wrote:
>> I've tried looking for scanner.pl, but there does not seem to be a
>> file called scanner.pl on my system.

> /opt/slimserver, /usr/local/slimserver?

K >>> 'Fraid not. I've done 'sudo find / -name "*scanner*" ', and
there's no 'scanner.pl'. AFAICS, the executable is
/usr/sbin/slimserver-scanner, so I don't have the option you suggest. I
seem to recall you're not using a debian distro (isn't yours Fedora?);
so I guess that's how come there may be a difference???

kdf
2007-12-09, 01:36
On 8-Dec-07, at 11:31 PM, Diana Artemis wrote:

> seem to recall you're not using a debian distro (isn't yours Fedora?);

it's knoppmyth, which is based on debian. I do not use the deb,
however as it really annoyed me when files started relocating. I
often run multiple versions of the server so that kind of stuff just
makes it more difficult and time consuming. I use the tar.gz. Last I
saw a .deb, there were files in /opt. Obviously now, it's a full
blown rename.

I'm afraid I'm at a loss here. Nothing so far even gets to where I'm
expecting to start looking for info. sorry.

-kdf

eater
2007-12-09, 17:10
An update: I have installed version 7.0, deleted and rebuilt my MySQL library, and now most tracks are reporting as mixable, but a number of them still result in empty mixes.

(What happened to the space between "as" and "library" in the title of this thread? It was there for my first post at least. Mystery bugs follow me.)

kdf
2007-12-09, 17:21
On 9-Dec-07, at 4:10 PM, eater wrote:

>
> An update: I have installed version 7.0, deleted and rebuilt my MySQL
> library, and now most tracks are reporting as mixable, but a number of
> them still result in empty mixes.
>
This is where the plugin.musicmagic debug option should be selected
(set to DEBUG)
Then look in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
\Squeezecenter\Logs\server.log

That log should show the request made to MusicIP, which you can then
test directly with the MusicIP http api interface to see if there is
a difference. Sometimes various settings for mix type may limit what
you get for a mix.

-kdf

eater
2007-12-09, 17:23
Also, now, whenever I generate a mix from a particular seed song, the mix is always exactly the same tracks in the same order. That is, it's different for every seed, but if I generate mixes a dozen times from the same seed, those dozen mixes are all identical.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't behaving that way before.

eater
2007-12-09, 17:38
This is where the plugin.musicmagic debug option should be selected (set to DEBUG)
Then look in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
\Squeezecenter\Logs\server.log

I'm still running on Debian, so I restarted slimserver with the --d_musicmagic flag, made a mix, and checked /var/log/slimserver/server.log. There are no entries in the log pertaining to MusicIP.

kdf
2007-12-09, 18:06
On 9-Dec-07, at 4:38 PM, eater wrote:

>
>> This is where the plugin.musicmagic debug option should be
>> selected (set
>> to DEBUG)
>> Then look in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
>> \Squeezecenter\Logs\server.log
>
> I'm still running on Debian, so I restarted slimserver with the
> --d_musicmagic flag, made a mix, and checked
> /var/log/slimserver/server.log. There are no entries in the log
> pertaining to MusicIP.
>
sorry. so often the debugging is windows stuff :)

the logging is different. it's --debug plugin.musicmagic.

You can also set this from the web ui, and check the persist checkbox
so that it stays across the restart.

-kdf

eater
2007-12-09, 18:20
Aha, okay. The log doesn't reveal anything about the identical mixes, but when I try one of the songs that produces an empty mix, I get this:

[20:14:34.4747] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::getMix (664) Creating mix for: song using: /usr/music/iTunes/Archer Prewitt/In the Sun/12 In the Sun.flac as seed.
[20:14:34.4769] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::getMix (681) Request http://localhost:10002/api/mix?song%3D%2Fusr%2Fmusic%2FiTunes%2FArcher%20Prew itt%2FIn%20the%20Sun
%2F12%20In%20the%20Sun.flac&variety=0&rejectsize=75&mixgenre=0&style=150&sizetype=tracks&size=75
[20:14:34.7844] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::getMix (690) Warning: Couldn't get mix: song%3D%2Fusr%2Fmusic%2FiTunes%2FArcher%20Prewitt% 2FIn%20the%20Sun%2F12%20In%20the%20Sun.flac&variety=0&rejectsize=75&mixgenre=0&style=150&sizetype=tracks&size=75

Dougal
2007-12-10, 01:39
Also, now, whenever I generate a mix from a particular seed song, the mix is always exactly the same tracks in the same order. That is, it's different for every seed, but if I generate mixes a dozen times from the same seed, those dozen mixes are all identical.

I believe that this is the expected behavior, to get a different mix the parameters have to be adjusted.
Doug.

Siduhe
2007-12-10, 04:39

It depends on what settings you have entered for the mix. Variety=0 will always return the same mix from any given seed song. Variety=1+ will produce increasingly varied mixes.

You may need to check that your settings for each Player aren't overriding your main MusicIP server settings, if you have given each player the ability to set its own mix critera (see under Player Settings)

eater
2007-12-10, 14:27
Another issue: since I upgraded yesterday to SC7, it keeps on reimporting from my MusicIP library again and again. It runs through all 20,000 or so tracks and then immediately starts again from the beginning. The log looks like this:

[15:37:20.3091] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (254) Read cacheid of 1197263317
[15:37:20.4368] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (264) Got status: idle
[15:37:20.4539] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (282) MusicMagic: music library has changed!
[15:37:20.5110] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (283) Details:
[15:37:20.5122] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (284) CurrCacheID - 1197263317
[15:37:20.5132] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (285) LastCacheID - 1197240095
[15:37:20.5142] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (286) Interval - 600
[15:37:20.5178] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (287) LastScanTime - 1197242904
[15:57:05.7428] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (67) Error: Error executing 'UPDATE tracks SET lastplayed = ?, playcount = ? WHERE ( id = ? )': DBD::mysql::st ex
ecute failed: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction at /usr/share/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771.
[15:57:05.8600] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (67) Backtrace:

frame 0: Slim::Utils::Log::logBacktrace (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 67)
frame 1: Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (/usr/share/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 773)
frame 2: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::_execute (/usr/share/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 797)
frame 3: DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::update (/usr/share/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Row.pm line 115)
frame 4: DBIx::Class::Row::update (/usr/share/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Relationship/CascadeActions.pm line 30)
frame 5: DBIx::Class::Relationship::CascadeActions::update (/usr/share/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/InflateColumn.pm line 222)
frame 6: DBIx::Class::InflateColumn::update (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/DBI.pm line 35)
frame 7: Slim::Schema::DBI::update (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Source.pm line 2086)
frame 8: Slim::Player::Source::openSong (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Source.pm line 366)
frame 9: Slim::Player::Source::playmode (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Source.pm line 873)
frame 10: Slim::Player::Source::skipahead (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Source.pm line 644)
frame 11: Slim::Player::Source::__ANON__ (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Source.pm line 668)
frame 12: Slim::Player::Source::streamNextTrack (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/Source.pm line 632)
frame 13: Slim::Player::Source::decoderUnderrun (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 782)
frame 14: Slim::Networking::Slimproto::_stat_handler (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/Slimproto.pm line 430)
frame 15: Slim::Networking::Slimproto::client_readable (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 243)
frame 16: (eval) (/usr/share/perl5/Slim/Networking/Select.pm line 243)
frame 17: Slim::Networking::Select::select (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 500)
frame 18: main::idle (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 450)
frame 19: main::main (/usr/sbin/slimserver line 1000)

[15:57:05.8619] Slim::Networking::Select::select (245) Error: Select task failed: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Error executing 'UPDATE tracks SET lastplayed = ?, playcount =
? WHERE ( id = ? )': DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction at /usr/share/slimserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line
[16:08:37.3591] Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_read (279) Error reading headers: Server closed connection without sending any data back at /usr/share/slimserver/C
PAN/Net/HTTP/Methods.pm line 306.
...propagated at /usr/share/slimserver/CPAN/Net/HTTP/NB.pm line 32.
[16:08:37.3614] Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_error (264) Error: [Error reading headers: Server closed connection without sending any data back at /usr/share/sli
mserver/CPAN/Net/HTTP/Methods.pm line 306.
...propagated at /usr/share/slimserver/CPAN/Net/HTTP/NB.pm line 32.
]
[16:23:25.3099] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (254) Read cacheid of 1197263317
[16:23:25.4258] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (264) Got status: idle
[16:23:25.5455] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (282) MusicMagic: music library has changed!
[16:23:25.5467] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (283) Details:
[16:23:25.5476] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (284) CurrCacheID - 1197263317
[16:23:25.5486] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (285) LastCacheID - 1197240095
[16:23:25.5496] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (286) Interval - 600
[16:23:25.5521] Slim::Plugin::MusicMagic::Plugin::isMusicLibraryFi leChanged (287) LastScanTime - 1197242904