PDA

View Full Version : AudioEngine: power consumption?

peterw
2007-12-05, 06:08
Has, or can, anyone here measure the AC power consumption of the much-recommended AudioEngine speakers with a Kill-A-Watt, Watts Up, etc.? I've been looking at the new A2s, but having seen this thread
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39153
which says that A) the larger A5 run hot to the touch and B) have linear power supplies(!), I'm concerned about power usage.

Please, "just the facts", man. Please try to contain any desire to opine about the relative costs & impacts of different electrical devices. I just want to know how many watts the AudioEngine gear draws at different volume levels (the above referenced thread suggests that the AE power consumption is tied mostly to the position of the AE volume knob, rather than how much sound the speakers are emitting at the time, e.g. Squeezebox at 100% and AE at 50% is cooler than Squeezebox at 50% and AE at 100%). Does the AE power consumption drop if they're still "on" but there's no SB output and therefore very little AE speaker cone movement?

Thanks,

Peter

Listener
2007-12-05, 12:41
I've been using A5s for some months. They go into a low power mode after an interval of a few minutes when the input level is below a threshold. They wake up when they receive an input signal above a threshold. They certainly aren't hot to the touch after sleeping.

The power switch is on the back so it isn't convenient for me to turn them off and on at the time.

I use them for near-field listening at my PC. I think they are great for the purpose.

Bill

peterw
2007-12-07, 19:06
I've been using A5s for some months. They go into a low power mode after an interval of a few minutes when the input level is below a threshold. They wake up when they receive an input signal above a threshold. They certainly aren't hot to the touch after sleeping.

Thanks, Bill. That's very reassuring.

-Peter

robroe
2007-12-11, 04:07
I got some A2s yesterday and although they are a Christmas present I "had" to test them out to check they worked ;)

They sound and look great but I am wondering about the power consumption too. Where I'm putting the speakers would be extremely inconvenient to get to the back of the speakers to turn it on/off every time and I noticed that when there is no input there is still a (very faint) hiss coming from the tweeters. It is only audible if you put your ear right against it, but I am wondering how much power it is drawing and if it is ok to leave them on 24/7?

I was wondering about getting one of these remote controlled plug/switches to completely turn on/off the speakers when I'm not using them. And potentially hooking up the squeezebox IR blaster to them??

robroe
2007-12-12, 07:43
For anyone who is interested I had an email back from AudioEngine saying that the speakers only draw 2W when they are in standby. "Problem" solved :)