PDA

View Full Version : On my third Squeezebox now :)

gorman
2007-12-05, 01:52
Just yesterday I got my third Squeezebox. Now i have one of each generation (not counting sliMP3).

Come on Slimdevices, I want to part with some more of my money. All you have to do is realease a portable boombox and some sort of car solution (a real one, after RioCar nothing happened in this segment, I fail to understand how lugging around one's iPod could be considered an acceptable solution).

Wishing apart, I just wanted to write this because I believe it's a testament to the product's quality. You see developers? People don't just complain.

Major kudos to you for having created a product that prompted me to completely overhaul the way I used and organized my music. :D

Gibbo
2007-12-05, 02:52
I'm considering getting a second one this christmas. I currently have my lounge music sent to my dining room / kitchen by a logitech wireless transmitter, its good, but not in sync, and obviously has no control. It just seems crazy to me to have 2, but I really want another one!!!

aubuti
2007-12-05, 08:37
It just seems crazy to me to have 2, but I really want another one!!!
Au contraire, it's perfectly normal to want another one (or two or three...). Look at it this way: don't you want to maximize the payoff from the effort you put into ripping your CD collection? You've made that music extremely portable, so it makes sense to want to stream it to anywhere you happen to be (or at least, within range of your network).

Gibbo
2007-12-05, 09:40
It makes perfect sense, and what I wasn't expecting was when I told my girlfriend I wanted another one for the house, but I thought it might be a bit frivalous, she said yes it was but I should get one. I was shocked.

What is bad about the music is I've started buying around 5 cds a month at least, which means my girlfriend gets jealous and buys herself 6 cds a month, which may start to get expensive. plus I now want to re-record my 80GB of mp3 music into flac, which is going to take an eternity!!

aubuti
2007-12-05, 09:44
What is bad about the music is I've started buying around 5 cds a month at least, which means my girlfriend gets jealous and buys herself 6 cds a month, which may start to get expensive.
Yeah, that's a well-known side effect, although somehow the RIAA and music industry execs seem to remain ignorant of it.....

Secret Squirrel
2007-12-05, 10:46
It makes perfect sense, and what I wasn't expecting was when I told my girlfriend I wanted another one for the house, but I thought it might be a bit frivalous, she said yes it was but I should get one. I was shocked.

What is bad about the music is I've started buying around 5 cds a month at least, which means my girlfriend gets jealous and buys herself 6 cds a month, which may start to get expensive. plus I now want to re-record my 80GB of mp3 music into flac, which is going to take an eternity!!

Well, it may take a while, but to me it's painless. When I re-ripped my music I just put a stack of CDs next to me at the computer and shuffled them through as I sat there (working or playing). Granted it might take longer based on the ripper you use and the compression ratio you choose, but it was less than four minutes a disc using Easy CD Extractor and compression level 6 for me. A couple hours an evening and I was done in no time. It was so painless I volunteered to rip a friends 3000 disc library.

In any level of perceived pain, the results are worth it!

Enjoy!

SS

Gibbo
2007-12-05, 10:52
That side isn't too bad really, using EAC, it takes around 4 mins, its more the annoyance of moving the mp3 to another file as I go, as I need to keep them for my ipod.

plus EAC doesn't seem to want to put the files in a folder for the album, just my general music folder, although rather than moving them mayber I should just leave it all and get media monkey to do it all at the end.

bonze
2007-12-05, 11:23
That side isn't too bad really, using EAC, it takes around 4 mins, its more the annoyance of moving the mp3 to another file as I go, as I need to keep them for my ipod.

plus EAC doesn't seem to want to put the files in a folder for the album, just my general music folder, although rather than moving them mayber I should just leave it all and get media monkey to do it all at the end.Sounds like you haven't set EAC options correctly.

Goto EAC options > Filename tab
for 'Naming scheme':
%A \%C \%N - %T
for 'Various artist', tick the box and enter:
%C \%N - %A - %T

This creates a Folder per Artist inside which it creates a folder per CD.

Then on the Directories tab, browse to where you want the folders created.

funkstar
2007-12-05, 11:42
Just yesterday I got my third Squeezebox. Now i have one of each generation (not counting sliMP3).
Cool :)

I have a couple of SB3s. Started looking for some older hardware as well. Already purchased a SliMP3 and a wired SB2 from these forums. Would quite like a SB and a SBG :)

Muckle_Eck
2007-12-05, 11:52
It isn't the time taken to rip to FLAC that I have found hard over the past few weeks...it is the laborious process of ensuring that all the tags are correct...my collection is 50% classical and freedb is useless...

SuperQ
2007-12-05, 11:53
I still use my RioCar, I've been thinking the only real replacement would be to put a small slimserver in the trunk and glue an SB3 to the dashboard ;)

If the slimserver could auto-detect my phone over bluetooth and dial out, I could even play online streams. I guess it wouldn't be terribly hard to script such a thing with linux.

Club1820
2007-12-05, 13:49
Yeah, that's a well-known side effect, although somehow the RIAA and music industry execs seem to remain ignorant of it.....

Exactly! Before my SB3 and Streaming FLAC - I hadnt bought a CD in about 7 years, at least!!! I've bought several since so I can rip to flac and listen through my SB3

funkstar
2007-12-05, 17:14
I still use my RioCar, I've been thinking the only real replacement would be to put a small slimserver in the trunk and glue an SB3 to the dashboard ;)

If the slimserver could auto-detect my phone over bluetooth and dial out, I could even play online streams. I guess it wouldn't be terribly hard to script such a thing with linux.
What i'm going to try when i get my new phone with it's "unlimited" 3G data tarif is use my head unit as a set of BlueTooth speakers and stream content directly from SlimServer at home. That way I get all my music and all the internet content i could wish for (primarily AlienBBC and all the listen again streams) :)

Also going to research Lua on Windows Mobile, see if it is feasable to get Jive running on it :D

snoogly
2007-12-05, 17:32

Please count the sliMP3 It still works, and is the 'box' that started it all!

peter
2007-12-05, 23:24
SuperQ wrote:
> I still use my RioCar, I've been thinking the only real replacement
> would be to put a small slimserver in the trunk and glue an SB3 to the
> dashboard ;)
>

How about running running slimserver together with slimslave on a box in
the trunk and control the whole thing with a Jive remote? You can put
the Jive in some kind of phone cradle, take it with you as you leave the
car and save you from making changes to the car's interior. If the
Jive's audio out starts working you could even connect it to the AUX-in
on the radio.

Regards,
Peter

WilCox
2007-12-06, 05:08
It just seems crazy to me to have 2, but I really want another one!!!
Oh my! I have 5 SB3's:

1 - Media Room
2 - Great Room
3 - Kitchen
4 - Exercise Room
5 - Master Bedroom

And, I'm thinking about getting a 6th SB3 for the Guest Bedroom.

Is it wrong?

Gibbo
2007-12-06, 05:38
I think the forum will come to the obvious conclusion that no matter how many you have it'll never be wrong. and if you have a great room, you can obviously afford it ;-)

aubuti
2007-12-06, 06:44
How about running running slimserver together with slimslave on a box in the trunk and control the whole thing with a Jive remote? You can put the Jive in some kind of phone cradle, take it with you as you leave the car and save you from making changes to the car's interior. If the Jive's audio out starts working you could even connect it to the AUX-in on the radio.
Cool idea, but don't forget the mobile 802.11g (HiWayWiFi? WiFiHiWay?) access point that the Jive needs.

iPhone
2007-12-06, 08:05
Oh my! I have 5 SB3's:

1 - Media Room
2 - Great Room
3 - Kitchen
4 - Exercise Room
5 - Master Bedroom

And, I'm thinking about getting a 6th SB3 for the Guest Bedroom.

Is it wrong?

The Media Room needs a Transporter so after you buy that, you can then move the SB3 from the Media Room to the Guest Room! Well on second thought, doesn't the SB3 fall into the to much Money and Sex question area....
There is not such thing as to much Money, to much Sex, or to many SB3s!

Pale Blue Ego
2007-12-06, 12:39
Living Room (SliMP3)
Den/Home Theater (SB3)
Bedroom 1 (SB3)
Bedroom 2 (SB3)
Garage (SB1G)

gorman
2007-12-07, 05:12
How about running running slimserver together with slimslave on a box in
the trunk and control the whole thing with a Jive remote? You can put
the Jive in some kind of phone cradle, take it with you as you leave the
car and save you from making changes to the car's interior. If the
Jive's audio out starts working you could even connect it to the AUX-in
on the radio.Oh my, oh my... that would a DREAM COME TRUE. Now you have planted the seed of evil in my brain, aaargh!!! :D

PS
Are you peter from the old empeg team?

gorman
2007-12-07, 05:13
Cool idea, but don't forget the mobile 802.11g (HiWayWiFi? WiFiHiWay?) access point that the Jive needs.I think there are several motherboards with WiFi capabilities built-in. Or a small PCI card should be doable.

Gibbo
2007-12-08, 09:51
Fine then, you lot win. I've just ordered my second one.

funkstar
2007-12-08, 11:34
Fine then, you lot win.
Do we get a prize? :)

peter
2007-12-09, 10:13
gorman wrote:
> Peter;247265 Wrote:
>
>> How about running running slimserver together with slimslave on a box in
>>
>> the trunk and control the whole thing with a Jive remote? You can put
>> the Jive in some kind of phone cradle, take it with you as you leave
>> the
>> car and save you from making changes to the car's interior. If the
>> Jive's audio out starts working you could even connect it to the AUX-in
>>
>> on the radio.Oh my, oh my... that would a DREAM COME TRUE. Now you have planted the
>>
> seed of evil in my brain, aaargh!!! :D
>

Good, I'm glad that worked.
Please report back when you've made some progress. ;)

> PS
> Are you peter from the old empeg team?
>

Nope, lots of Peters out there...

Regards,
Peter

gorman
2007-12-09, 11:38
Fine then, you lot win. I've just ordered my second one.LOL!!! Glad to have tempted you. ;)

peejay
2007-12-10, 03:46
It isn't the time taken to rip to FLAC that I have found hard over the past few weeks...it is the laborious process of ensuring that all the tags are correct...my collection is 50% classical and freedb is useless...
Freedb isn't quite useless, it's just, well, free... Pay for something and then complain...:-)

gorman
2007-12-10, 05:00
Freedb isn't quite useless, it's just, well, free... Pay for something and then complain...:-)I think he was referring to freedb being far less valuable when classical music is concerned.