PDA

View Full Version : Another "cannot connect" thread

dyohn
2007-12-04, 23:02
My SB3 cannot access my slim server 6.5.4.

- I get proper connection to the wireless network, IP is properly assigned by the DHCP server, and can access the Squeeze Network without issue.
- I can ping the SB3 from the server PC which is running Win XP Pro SP2.
- Even though the slim server installation appears to have opened the proper ports in Windows firewall, I have disabled Windows Firewall and have also tried completely uninstalling McAfee Security Center, Personal Firewall and Virus Scan. No luck.
- The SB3 gives me the message "connecting to Slimserver" then times out.
- The SB3 apparently can see the IP of the slim server PC as it comes up on the SB screen when I set up networking, but it cannot access it.
- I have tried creating virtual servers and port openings in the wireless router (Dlink DIR-655) firewall, but it makes no difference no matter what I do.
- I downloaded the TCPview utility and it does not show any other devices using ports 9000, 9090 or 3483.

What can I try next? Help please.

amcluesent
2007-12-05, 00:40
>What can I try next?<

Can you access the slimserver interface from a browser on the PC by opening http://localhost:9000 to ensure slimserver is running.

>I have tried creating virtual servers and port openings in the wireless router<

On most routers that is only relevant to internet traffic coming over the NAT firewall, I'd recommend undoing such settings to remove that as a factor, assuming the SB3 and PC are both connected to the LAN ports on the router.

>I have disabled Windows Firewall...<

If you've really had both windows f/w and McAfee f/w running together, then that could have left some configuration problems. Two software firewalls are not usually recommended.

dyohn
2007-12-05, 07:19
>What can I try next?<

Can you access the slimserver interface from a browser on the PC by opening http://localhost:9000 to ensure slimserver is running.

>I have tried creating virtual servers and port openings in the wireless router<

On most routers that is only relevant to internet traffic coming over the NAT firewall, I'd recommend undoing such settings to remove that as a factor, assuming the SB3 and PC are both connected to the LAN ports on the router.

>I have disabled Windows Firewall...<

If you've really had both windows f/w and McAfee f/w running together, then that could have left some configuration problems. Two software firewalls are not usually recommended.

1) Yes, I can access Slimserver from the local PC. I can run Soft Squeeze and play music files on the PC. Slim Server is set to allow all incoming connections.

2) Thank you, I will remove those settings from the router.

3) Yes, I inadvertently had both firewalls running. Now that I have uninstalled McAfee, what can I do to "undo" the damage it may have done to my system?

Thank you very much for the reply!

dyohn
2007-12-05, 19:56
Another update:

Interestingly, I can connect to and control the SqueezeBox from my server PC once the SB3 is on the Squeeze Network by logging into the Squeeze Network here: http://slimdevices.com/userHome.

This evening I tried completely removing all traces of McAfee from my system using the MCPR.exe utility. I still cannot connect to Slim Server.

dyohn
2007-12-07, 16:38
Any other ideas out there? I am thinking about blowing out my system, reformatting the PC's hard drive and starting over.

amcluesent
2007-12-08, 05:12
Have you set the security on the slimserver -

Server Settings>Security>Block Incoming Connections and check the options there.

Double check firewall and port blocking -

Click Start->Settings->Network Connections and open your broadband network. Click 'Properties'. Click 'Advanced' tab, then 'Settings...' button for Windows Firewall and check it's off.

Click General tab. Highlight item in list 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties then click Advanced...Then click Options tab, highlight 'TCP/IP Filtering' then click Properties, no ports should be blocked.

dyohn
2007-12-08, 09:43
Thank you for the reply.

1) Yes, the Slim Server is set to "Do Not Block."
2) I double checked and Windows Firewall is off.
3) TCP/IP filtering was on, but all the "permit all" radio buttons were checked. Just to be safer, I turned filtering off and rebooted. No effect, SB3 still cannot connect.

I also noticed the "Enable IEEE 802.1.x authentication" was on, so I disabled this as well. No effect.

Out of desperation I tried an older wireless router, a Belkin G I had laying around. After swapping it out with the D-Link, the SB3 had no problems connecting to it and to Squeeze Network but still cannot see SlimSever.

I really appreciate the help. I know a little about computers and operating systems but very little about Windows Networking, so anything I can try is worth a shot!

dyohn
2007-12-08, 11:10
FYI, here is the port information from a utility called TCPview being used by SlimServer.

SLIM.EXE:2480 TCP video2:1031 localhost:9092 ESTABLISHED
SLIM.EXE:2480 TCP video2:3483 localhost:1147 CLOSE_WAIT
SLIM.EXE:2480 TCP video2:9090 video2:0 LISTENING
SLIM.EXE:2480 TCP video2:3483 video2:0 LISTENING
SLIM.EXE:2480 TCP video2:9000 video2:0 LISTENING
SLIM.EXE:2480 UDP video2:50000 *:*
SLIM.EXE:2480 UDP video2:1900 *:*
SLIM.EXE:2480 UDP video2:3483 *:*

Is this normal, as all the "how to" info in the WIKI and elsewhere only talks about three ports being used by SLIM? (video2 is the newtork name of the server PC.)

Siduhe
2007-12-08, 12:34
Assuming that there's nothing unusual about your network setup, which sounds like it is an XP PC or Music server connected to a wireless router and then wirelessly again to the SB, deinstall the virtual servers - you don't need them and they may be causing some of the networking problems.

My first guess would have been the same as yours, that you already have another program listening on port 9000 - WMP11 has been known to on occasion - may be worth opening that up if you have it installed and running TCPview again, just to be sure.

Assuming that's fine, there are two points where the signal is most likely be getting stuck, either the router isn't letting the signal in from the SB, or the server pc isn't letting it in from the router. Given that it sometimes seems to work for you, my bet is on the server PC.

First, double check the basics - check the ports you've put in as exceptions in Windows firewall are the right ones - you should have 3483 tcp and udp as well as 9000 tcp. The scope for all three ports should be "my network subnet" (again, assuming there's nothing too unusual about your network setup). Open up the web interface, go to Server Settings, Network and check the connection port for Slimserver is set to 9000. Then go to Server Settings, Security - Is block incoming connections set to "do not block" - you may as well change CSRF Protection to None for good measure.

At each stage, check whether you can connect and in my experience, it's a good idea to go back a couple of steps in the SB set up networking process then try to reconnect, than just keep clicking right to try and connect. If you're messing around with the network settings, reboot the server before you try and reconnect.

Check you have completely deinstalled McAfee - run a registry cleaner (I like and would recommend CCleaner) to get rid of any lingering traces.

One other thing you could try is adding an exception to Windows firewall for "slim.exe" [which can be found in the Slimserver program directory] and then trying to connect.

Finally, go into your router admin page, and check that you haven't activated any features which might interfere Slimserver's connection - things like "QoS" which prioritises certain types of server traffic, or any speedboost functions. If you have, switch them off, reboot the router and the server and try to reconnect again. Oh, and check the firmware on your router is up to date!

Finally, I should mention there was someone who posted on here a while back who had a similar issue which was also related to running McAfee and some other kind of network utility. He managed to fix it by totally uninstalling McAfee (including cleaning up the registry and temp files) and then uninstalling Slimserver in the same way. If you can bear it, might be worth considering as an option of last resort.

The other thing we might have you try - but not yet - is to assign static IP addresses to the SB and the Server. That seems to work better for a lot of people than using DCHP.

Let us know how you get on, or any other details which may help pin this down. Apologies if any of the above is grandmother sucking eggs, but I had a very similar problem when I installed a new router a few years back. After two days of failing to connnect, I was ready to throw the bloody thing out the window. And then I noticed I'd left "Block Incoming Connections on" in Slimserver and the SB had acquired a different IP address through the new router install so wasn't on an "allowed" address any more....ho hum...so hang in, you'll get there.

dyohn
2007-12-08, 20:39
Wow, thanks very much Siduhe, I will carefully go over everything you've suggested.

I do have a simple network, by the way> I have two PCs wired to the router and the SB3 connected wirelessly. My Tivo connects to the router through the SB.

I am certain there is a firewall issue going on as I can ping out from the PC, and I can ping the SB from the other PC, but the other PC cannot ping the server. It's as if the server PC does not exist.

I am using an Intel Pro 100+ Management Adapter NIC. Is it possible it is somehow allowing outgoing packets but blocking incoming?

All my Slim Server setting are correct, the Windows firewall is off (or when it was on, the three ports required by Slim Server were open) and all traces of McAfee have been purged from the system. I downloaded (and paid for) the PC Registry Cleaner you suggested. It found over 500 issues and corrected them, but alas it has had no effect.

I will go over the rest of your message and see if I can find anything.

Thank you!

dyohn
2007-12-10, 23:04
Thank you to everyone who helped. The problem was, as I suspected, a firewall conflict. I have a Cisco VPN installed on my system to access my work network. A kind person from here suggested via email I uninstall this and bingo, all is well.

I am serving music through the Squeeze Box again and life is good.