PDA

View Full Version : http://slim/stream.mp3 - does it work?

sander
2007-12-03, 16:05
I purchased Linksys wmls11b to go in our kitchen in the hope that, among other things, it could sync with the SlimServer, but the stream.mp3 appears to be blank.

I blamed the device, but streaming from the PC has the same result. I thought it might be the ReadyNas NV+ I'm streaming from didn't have the horses or the fact it didn't have LAME was the culprit, but googling more, I read many more accounts of the streaming not working.

Does this feature work? I'm only streaming mp3, and I've even lowered the bitrate on the stream, which I can see changing) but still no sound.

Oh yes, the title is incorrect, I am using port 9000 so the url I'm trying to stream from is http://slim:9000/stream.mp3

TIA

Mark Lanctot
2007-12-03, 16:12
Oh yes, the title is incorrect, I am using port 9000 so the url I'm trying to stream from is http://slim:9000/stream.mp3

Are you really using that URL? That may not work, try by IP address instead.

kdf
2007-12-03, 16:15
Quoting sander <sander.311g2n1196723401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Does this feature work?

It should, but it is a 2-step process. Using the device to connect to
slim:9000/stream.mp3 gets you connected so slimserver, but you then
need to tell slimserver to start playing some tracks to that player.
Devices using stream.mp3 have no control over slimserver, so you will
need to use the slimserver web interface and queue up some songs
before you'll get anything but silence.

note that sync is not available with stream.mp3 as slimserver needs to
be able to predict and control the buffer. It cannot do this with
stream.mp3.

-kdf

bpa
2007-12-03, 16:17
First, you cannot sync to stream.mp3

Secondly, some "special" stream such as AlienBBC will not play to stream.mp3.

So to avoid these issues use an audio file or an mp3 stream when testing stream.mp3

4mula1
2007-12-03, 16:32
As long as the hostname slim is in some sort of hosts file on each client or there is a local dns that url will work. Without some sort of nameserver or lookup file the url will have to use the IP address.

From there KDF is spot on. Once the stream is created you will have to use the web interface to create a playlist and start playing the stream.

sander
2007-12-03, 17:40
It should, but it is a 2-step process. Using the device to connect to
slim:9000/stream.mp3 gets you connected so slimserver, but you then
need to tell slimserver to start playing some tracks to that player.
Devices using stream.mp3 have no control over slimserver, so you will
need to use the slimserver web interface and queue up some songs
before you'll get anything but silence.

Ah, that did the trick. I always assumed it would just copy from whatever was playing on another player (it actually kind of does that), but that makes sense and it works now. For some reason it would show what the other player was showing in the "now playing" but when I explicitly streamed something to it worked.

Sadly Moose can't control these faux players so it won't be much use to me.

Thanks to everyone for the help!