PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox for Dummies"

tomagardner
2007-12-03, 13:06
Howdy, I am thinking of getting a Squeezebox, but I have no clue. Can someone recommend a "Dummies" version of the basics somewhere? Currently I have a laptop with ~60GB free, a receiver, and no wireless router.
Thanks a lot, Tom

aubuti
2007-12-03, 13:19
Go to wiki.slimdevices.com. The Beginner's Guide is the place to start.

erland
2007-12-03, 13:24
If you haven't read this, it's a good start:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide

The basic idea is that:
- You will rip your music and store the files on your laptop
- You will need to install the SlimServer application on the laptop
- You will need a network connection between the laptop and the SqueezeBox, if you don't have a wireless network the typical setup is that the laptop is connected to a router/switch with a cable and the SqueezeBox is connected to the same router/switch with another cable.
- The SqueezeBox should be placed close the the receiver and you connect it to the audio inputs on the receiver

There is a software player/simulator included with the SlimServer application, so if you like see how it looks like before purchasing you can just install SlimServer and launch the software player (called SoftSqueeze).

A recommendation is that you install SlimServer on a standard computer instead of the laptop since this will make it possible to play music even if the laptop is turned off. In a setup like this you can still use the laptop to control the SlimServer application over the network, the computer running SlimServer can be placed somewhere where you don't hear or see it.

amcluesent
2007-12-03, 14:12
>Howdy, I am thinking of getting a Squeezebox, but I have no clue.<

You could delay purchase until version 7.0 of the software is released, that's been designed with a 'wizard' to step you through installation and getting going. Peeps who aren't familiar with PCs do seem to struggle a bit with the current release ;)

Shredder
2007-12-04, 08:54
ANy idea when version 7.0 will be released?

slimpy
2007-12-04, 09:30
ANy idea when version 7.0 will be released?
Around January 5.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=246691&postcount=8

-s.

Mark Lanctot
2007-12-04, 09:32
I had read January 5th, but this is not an official date and Logitech has never had rigid release dates in the past - which is a good thing.

Shredder
2007-12-04, 09:34
OK. SHould the release of 7.0 be a factor in when I buy my NAS or can Im just update the software when 7.0 comes out?

radish
2007-12-04, 09:57
OK. SHould the release of 7.0 be a factor in when I buy my NAS or can Im just update the software when 7.0 comes out?

It's usually possible to update the version of SS on a NAS, but how easy it is depends on the specific NAS in question. Sometimes you can just do it yourself, sometimes it requires the co-operation of the NAS manufacturer.

Shredder
2007-12-04, 10:04
Thanks Radish. WHich ones can be updated by "do it yourself." That may help me decide which NAS. I am looking at Thecus 5200 Pro, Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, and Qnap ts109.

radish
2007-12-04, 11:37
Thanks Radish. WHich ones can be updated by "do it yourself." That may help me decide which NAS. I am looking at Thecus 5200 Pro, Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, and Qnap ts109.

You'd best head off to the Third-Party Hardware forum and look around there - you'll see discussions on all the ones you mentioned and many more (I'm no expert). In general, look at the instructions for installing SS in the first place. If they require you to download the app from the manufacturer (as is the case with Qnap I think) then you'll be dependent on them to provide the new version when it comes out. If the instructions allow you to install a regular distribution downloaded from slimdevices.com, then you should be good to go. I'm sure people are already running v7 betas on various NAS models so you might also be able to get good information on how well the various units will work with it.

tomagardner
2007-12-04, 14:14
Thanks for the info on the wiki. That was just what I was looking for.
Since it seems I-Tunes and Squeezebox aren't the most compatible, is there something else like I-tunes that I should use? (Is there a term for what type of software I-Tunes is so I can search for others?)
Thanks again, Tom

aubuti
2007-12-04, 14:31
Since it seems I-Tunes and Squeezebox aren't the most compatible, is there something else like I-tunes that I should use? (Is there a term for what type of software I-Tunes is so I can search for others?)
First, what OS are you using? A lot of software is Windows-only or Mac OS-only, so that will be a big determinant of what your options are.

Second, what do you want the software to do? iTunes is like a Swiss army knife: it does a lot of things (ripping, tagging, playing, etc.), but none of them as well as a dedicated program. For instance, on my Windows computer I use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to rip to FLAC and do basic tagging, mp3tag to add additional tags and edit them from time to time, Firefox to download album art from Amazon, and foobar2000 when I feel like playing flac files directly on my computer, as opposed to streaming it to my SB. A lot of good software is listed in the wiki, and a lot of it is free or inexpensive, so try it out and see what you like.

thing-fish
2007-12-04, 15:00
Second, what do you want the software to do? iTunes is like a Swiss army knife: it does a lot of things (ripping, tagging, playing, etc.), but none of them as well as a dedicated program. For instance, on my Windows computer I use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to rip to FLAC and do basic tagging, mp3tag to add additional tags and edit them from time to time, Firefox to download album art from Amazon...

aubuti brings up a fantastic point here. I also use EAC to rip the CDs to LAME 320kbps VBR MP3s, then use MusicBrainz' Picard software to do the tagging and the album art at the same time, then use MP3gain to do some non-destructive volume stuff and finally the MusicIP Mixer to analyze the content of the files (and subsequently Slimserver interfaces with MusicIP Mixer to make intelligent mixes). I think many users here end up with a "software stack" instead of just ITunes + Slimserver or that kind of thing. It depends on exactly what you're aiming for and how deep you want to go to get it done. ;)

tomagardner
2007-12-04, 16:12
Cool. I have a Windows XP OS.
I'll get started with EAC for now.
Thanks a lot, Tom

thomsens
2007-12-06, 11:30

Shredder - be careful... I own the NV (non +) and it's CPU is inadequate to host Slimserver even though it "supports it." Admittedly I use this NV version of slimserver everyday as an alarm clock, but that's because it is the only function that it is used for and is completely controlled via the SB2 - never the web page interface. I never try to browse the web page which loads in a minimum of 30 seconds on a good day. Make sure you read the forums and ask performance related questions relative to Slimserver before deciding to use that function. I really like the NV other than the slimserver functionality and luckily I didn't buy it for that.

I also have a standalone XP server running slimserver as well as other housekeeping functions. This server accesses the files on my NAS for my transporter and this setup works great. It is completely hardwired.