PDA

View Full Version : Sequencing ALBUMS within ARTIST

mudbone
2007-12-03, 12:01
I have some "field recordings" by certain artists that I'd like to appear as a group at the end of the artist listing.

I've tried to use an ASCII character that sorts after the letter "Z" to get these to list as a group but Slimserver just ignores the special character and lists them alphabetically.

An ideas on how to accomplish this?

JJZolx
2007-12-03, 12:17
I have some "field recordings" by certain artists that I'd like to appear as a group at the end of the artist listing.

I've tried to use an ASCII character that sorts after the letter "Z" to get these to list as a group but Slimserver just ignores the special character and lists them alphabetically.

An ideas on how to accomplish this?

SlimServer is probably stripping the character when creating its sort field for the artist. You can tag these files with an ARTISTSORT field of any string you like. Only used for sorting, these ARTISTSORT values are never displayed. Prepend a few z's to the artist name. For example:

ARTIST=Johnny Cash
ARTISTSORT=zzzzJohnny Cash

ARTIST=Merle Hagard
ARTISTSORT=zzzzMerle Hagard

Or, if you prefer last name first sorting:

ARTIST=Johnny Cash
ARTISTSORT=zzzzCash Johnny

ARTIST=Merle Hagard
ARTISTSORT=zzzzHagard Merle

mudbone
2007-12-03, 13:12
Jim, thanks!

I believe I can re-tag these with MP3TAG.

mudbone
2007-12-03, 13:54
Well, that didn't work as it put the ARTIST last in ARTIST sequence.

Is that an ALBUMSORT field within the tag?

Seems that's what I need.

JJZolx
2007-12-03, 14:05
Well, that didn't work as it put the ARTIST last in ARTIST sequence.

Is that an ALBUMSORT field within the tag?

Seems that's what I need.

Thought you said:

"certain artists that I'd like to appear as a group at the end of the artist listing."

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

mudbone
2007-12-03, 14:11
Thought you said:

"certain artists that I'd like to appear as a group at the end of the artist listing."

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Apologies.

I'm trying to put ALBUM titles in sequence within ARTIST but have field recordings in alpha order aa a group at the end of the ARTIST.

i.e.

ARTIST 1

ALBUM 1 (begins with "A")
ALBUM 2 (begins with "B")
ALBUM 3 (begins with "A" but is a field recording)

Hopefully that's clear.

JJZolx
2007-12-03, 14:27
I'm trying to put ALBUM titles in sequence within ARTIST but have field recordings in alpha order aa a group at the end of the ARTIST.
ALBUMSORT is what you want then. Same idea. For convenience, set up an Mp3tag action that would create ALBUMSORT out of ALBUM and prepend the 'zzzz'. Use a 'Format value' action, with format string: zzzz%album%

(I think that's the correct syntax.)

mudbone
2007-12-03, 14:36
ALBUMSORT is what you want then. Same idea. For convenience, set up an Mp3tag action that would create ALBUMSORT out of ALBUM and prepend the 'zzzz'. Use a 'Format value' action, with format string: zzzz%album%

(I think that's the correct syntax.)

Jim, thanks!

I tried to enter ALBUMSORT in MP3TAG before I saw your post and it worked.

Thanks for the tip on automating the process and the quick replies.

Another one of life's problems solved.