PDA

View Full Version : Problems with SS Generated Library



jacabo
2007-12-03, 10:26
I am struggling with making Slimserver (SS) read my music directory (\\Hs-dhgld74\Buffalo\Music Safe) without using i-tunes. Using the i-tunes has worked ok but its cumbersome because my the i-tunes library where I do most of my tagging work (“Office”) is not on the same computer that hosts SS (“Kitchen”); This is because I have the kitchen on 24x7 and I prefer not to use Office’s resources to run the server. But it means that whenever I want changes to be reflected on slimserver I need to go through a two step process of updating the itunes library on Kitchen and then rescanning the library on slimserver (and usually this requires a complete rescan).

It would seem much more efficient have SS read my music directly (scheduled nightly), and I could logically edit tags using Office’s Itunes or some third party tag editor. But when I have tried to set this up I have found that SS does not create its own library very well. Music is disjointed and incomplete; art tags that were there now don’t show up, and music takes forever to load or causes the SS to stop.

For example, using SS to generate its own library and bypassing I-tunes causes only two Michele Shocked songs from Arkansas Traveler to display (showing as if they were in two separate albums) and the artwork is corrupt. But when I am using the i-tunes library, art is fine and all songs display just fine under a single album.

I would appreciate and tips for making SS work independently of I-tunes; it seems counter intuitive that SS would work better with i-tunes libraries than a situation where it is not reliant on any other software client, but this seems to be the case.
Below is the SS version information, any thoughts or best practices would be appreciated.

SlimServer Version: 6.5.2 - 11743 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

-Jac

JJZolx
2007-12-03, 12:10
I applaud your dumping the SS/iTunes integration. A lot of people would rid themselves of a lot of problems by doing so.

My guess is that there are issues within your tags for some reason. Get some good tagging software, such as Mp3tag ( http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ ) and examine the tags on the files in some of the albums giving SlimServer problems. If you use mp3 files, make sure that there arent' conflicts between id3v1, id3v2 and APE tags. Ideally, use just id3v2 tags in mp3s. In Mp3tag you can see what tags exist within a file and delete those you don't want, as well as copy data from one tag type to another.

Also, folder organization is important with all recent releases of SlimServer. It requires that you keep all tracks from an album within a single folder.