PDA

View Full Version : "clear library and rescan everything" does not clear old information

dyson
2007-12-02, 20:52
I'm having problems with old information not going away when I make corrections in iTunes using the information screen. After changing the genre and then doing a "clear library and rescan everything" the result is I get the music with the new genre, but the old listing is also still in the SB listing. It seems the "clear library" part is not happening. Any ideas why? How can I clear the library to start clean?

Thanks for your help.

moley6knipe
2007-12-03, 05:59
I assume you're running WinXP and SS version 6.5.something? In your SlimServer directory in Program Files there'll be a directory called cache. Stop SS, delete the cache dir and restart SS. Rescan is automatic. If that doesn't help post back!

dyson
2007-12-03, 09:50
I should have mentioned in the first post that I'm running on an iBook. If you could point me to that file to delete it would be a great help. Thanks!

moley6knipe
2007-12-04, 06:28
Sorry, don't know the file locations on mac. have a search, it'll be on here somewhere!

dyson
2007-12-04, 18:25
Thanks for your patience with this, but I did not find a slim server "cache." I did do a search and and found several files that may or may not do this same thing. The only files that reflect change since I last added music are:

bin
IR
Graphics
Plugins
html
slimserver.pref
slimserver.log

Probably not a good idea to just delete at random. Can anyone point me to the right file? Thanks

JimC
2007-12-05, 02:29
I should have mentioned in the first post that I'm running on an iBook. If you could point me to that file to delete it would be a great help. Thanks!

Look here: > Library > Caches > SlimServer > File Cache

If you've installed SlimServer for just one user, you'll find the Caches folder in the user's Library folder. If you've installed SlimServer for all users, then Caches will be in the system's Library folder.

At least that's how it works on my Mac ;)

-=> Jim

dyson
2007-12-06, 15:39
Very odd. Could the information in iTunes be the issue? Under genres in iTunes I don't "see" anything listed to match my double listing problem, but SS must get it from somewhere. Any ideas out there? Thanks once again.

Roy
2007-12-07, 03:45
Very odd. Could the information in iTunes be the issue? Under genres in iTunes I don't "see" anything listed to match my double listing problem, but SS must get it from somewhere. Any ideas out there? Thanks once again.

Could it be a rouge playlist - I remember I had a similar problem and was convinced it was the cache not clearing but it turned out to be one of my playlists. I removed them all from the playlist folder, then did a full clear and rescan and the duplicate info. dissapeared. Put them back one at a time - followed by a rescan playlist only till I found the naughty one.

roy

moley6knipe
2007-12-08, 05:10
What format are the files? If they're a format that uses APE or id3 tags, such as mp3, check to see if you've got any rouge id3 v1 or ape tags. You might find that's causing the problem. Simplest to remove all bar id3 v2.3 tags. Best to use 2.3 rather than 2.4 if you're using iTunes, but SS will understand both.

I don't know what app you'd use on a Mac - if you can dual boot into Win XP then www.mp3tag.de/en is good.

dyson
2007-12-08, 18:43
Thanks everybody. Family medical emergency has me in California for a week. I'll try your suggestions when I get home.

Regardless, SB is a great product!

dyson
2007-12-15, 08:46
I deleted my iTunes playlists and did a rescan. Still the same problem.

I'm using both mp3 and apple lossless. Running SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - Mac OS X 10.4.11.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'd like to solve this, but in truth it is not really keeping me from enjoying my SB. This certainly would not stop me from recommending SB to people. Great product.