PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to several servers simultaneously?

.brum
2007-12-02, 03:18
Hi,

Is there a way to either connect the SB3 to several servers at the same time, where some are outside of the local network, or to "bridge" remote servers to the local one so that you can access the other servers' contents?

Since the content can be losslessly packed and the connection of the remote servers vary, the ideal solution would support connection specific resampling settings. I guess that for the server at the material providing end, the connecting server could look like a player, for which a forced resampling can be set. But it would also require user ids and passwords separate from the one main one for the web interface.

Any thoughts?

TIA,

.brum

ceejay
2007-12-02, 04:45
Slimserver as it stands won't do what you are asking for.

The closest I can think of would be to combine the contents of the various servers at the file system / OS level - using shortcuts in the "main" server out to the subsidiary ones. Slimserver would then just see one filesystem, which it would be happy with, although it would of course have no means of treating the different components differently.

Ceejay

.brum
2007-12-02, 05:10
Slimserver as it stands won't do what you are asking for.

The closest I can think of would be to combine the contents of the various servers at the file system / OS level - using shortcuts in the "main" server out to the subsidiary ones. Slimserver would then just see one filesystem, which it would be happy with, although it would of course have no means of treating the different components differently.

Ceejay

Thanks for you reply. The drawback of file system integration is that it won't make it possible to resample files at the source, and playing FLAC files over ADSL lines is not feasible.

Perhaps a plugin could be made to do this...?

.brum

peter
2007-12-02, 05:27
..brum wrote:
> ceejay;246522 Wrote:
>
>> Slimserver as it stands won't do what you are asking for.
>>
>> The closest I can think of would be to combine the contents of the
>> various servers at the file system / OS level - using shortcuts in the
>> "main" server out to the subsidiary ones. Slimserver would then just
>> see one filesystem, which it would be happy with, although it would of
>> course have no means of treating the different components differently.
>>
>> Ceejay
>>
>
> Thanks for you reply. The drawback of file system integration is that
> it won't make it possible to resample files at the source, and playing
> FLAC files over ADSL lines is not feasible.
>
> Perhaps a plugin could be made to do this...?
>

It can be done. One slimserver creates an audio stream that the other
one plays. In theory it could work, but I never bothered to try it.

Regards,
Peter