PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on radio

Timbo22
2007-11-29, 18:14
Hi all,
I set up my box for the first time last night and swiched it off while on radio. Today I switched it on, and I couldnt get it off radio, until I switched it off and on again. Is this common or am I doing something wrong?
Many thanks,
Tim.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-30, 07:02
More information needed.

When you say "radio" were you listening to it on SlimServer or SqueezeNetwork?

When you say "couldn't get it off radio" do you mean it wouldn't respond to the remote?

Timbo22
2007-11-30, 11:02
More information needed.

When you say "radio" were you listening to it on SlimServer or SqueezeNetwork?

When you say "couldn't get it off radio" do you mean it wouldn't respond to the remote?

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your reply.
The radio I was listening to was under 'squeezebox home' entitled 'internet radio'. I'm new to this and dont know the difference of moving between Slimserver and SqueezeNetwork. The remote wouldnt let me go left on to 'Squeezebox home' until I switched it off and on with the standby.

Today I switched on the SB, after a while it lit, but wasn't responding at all to the remote. I changed the batteries, still nothing, tried standby, nothing, so I pulled the plug and tried again this time when it finished loading, the remote slowly began to work although the commands were confused, after a few minutes everthing was working fine. Is this common? One thing, I had switched on my PC at the same time, would that affect the SB?
Thanks again for the reply,
Tim.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-30, 13:47
One thing, I had switched on my PC at the same time, would that affect the SB?

Yes, your PC needs to be on in order for this all to work.

What had happened is that SlimServer hadn't started yet. The Squeezebox had to wait for SlimServer to get started.

The radio station worked (without the display) because it connects directly to the Internet.

In order to get this to work without your computer running, connect to SqueezeNetwork.

Timbo22
2007-11-30, 14:46
Thanks Mark,
Feel abit of an idiot, will take your good advice.
Another thing, I've been given some Mp3 CDs to load into my PC, Went out and bought an external hard drive to put them on, it seems to have loaded okay but I cant find a way of putting the CDs onto it. I have 'Nero record now'
But that doasn't seem to have a facility to store on the external hard drive.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Tim.

pfarrell
2007-11-30, 20:50
The external drive should just be a drive letter to your windows machine. You should be able to just point your ripping tool's output to a folder on the drive.

Did you mount the drive? can you see it with Windows Explorer?
Or from My Computer?

peejay
2007-11-30, 21:13
The external drive should just be a drive letter to your windows machine. You should be able to just point your ripping tool's output to a folder on the drive.

Did you mount the drive? can you see it with Windows Explorer?
Or from My Computer?

You also say these are MP3 CDs. So if this is literally the case, a drive letter will be assigned to the CD you have in the drive, and explorer will show the MP3s as individual files. The external hard disk will also have a drive letter assigned to it. All you need to then do is copy the files from the CD drive in explorer to a folder (create one) on to the external hard disk. Then, on the Slimserver web interface, under Server Settings->Music Folder, type in the drive letter and folder path to the folder on your external hard disk, select 'rescan' down the page a bit, and wait a couple of minutes. You should then be ready to rock...

Timbo22
2007-12-01, 08:56
You also say these are MP3 CDs. So if this is literally the case, a drive letter will be assigned to the CD you have in the drive, and explorer will show the MP3s as individual files. The external hard disk will also have a drive letter assigned to it. All you need to then do is copy the files from the CD drive in explorer to a folder (create one) on to the external hard disk. Then, on the Slimserver web interface, under Server Settings->Music Folder, type in the drive letter and folder path to the folder on your external hard disk, select 'rescan' down the page a bit, and wait a couple of minutes. You should then be ready to rock...

Hi,
Sorry peejay, I am completely flumoxed by your instruction. I've never used the explorer for anything and when I click on it I just get a blank page. When you say 'a drive letter will be assigned to the CD and hard drive' how do I find it? I have never knowingly created a folder. I do know that the hard drive is installed because I can find it in My Computer. Could you explain in simpler terms. This is really new territory for me.
Thankyou for your attention,
Tim.

Mark Lanctot
2007-12-01, 13:55
I do know that the hard drive is installed because I can find it in My Computer. Could you explain in simpler terms.

If you have been given some "MP3" CDs I would assume these are just MP3 files.

In that case, in My Computer, you should see a CD-ROM drive. It will look like a CD. Mine is called "DVD/CD-RW Drive (E:)", I'm on a laptop. I presume yours is probably a CD-RW or a DVD-RW. It may or may not be given the letter E:, it probably is. But anyway, just click on it and you can see the files. At the top of the My Computer window select "Edit", then "Select All", then "Copy".

Now go to your new drive in My Computer (click on it) then "Edit", "Paste".

Then follow peejay's advice for getting this into SlimServer.

Timbo22
2007-12-01, 15:08
If you have been given some "MP3" CDs I would assume these are just MP3 files.

In that case, in My Computer, you should see a CD-ROM drive. It will look like a CD. Mine is called "DVD/CD-RW Drive (E:)", I'm on a laptop. I presume yours is probably a CD-RW or a DVD-RW. It may or may not be given the letter E:, it probably is. But anyway, just click on it and you can see the files. At the top of the My Computer window select "Edit", then "Select All", then "Copy".

Now go to your new drive in My Computer (click on it) then "Edit", "Paste".

Then follow peejay's advice for getting this into SlimServer.

Thanks for that Mark,
everything went well until I went to my computer to edit and paste. It then stopped and said 'error copying cannot find specified path, find path'. sorry to be a pain.

Just one more thing these CDs have loads of albums on them the one I am trying to load has 50. Like I said I am very new to this, maybe they cant be loaded a friend loaded them on to his PC but had to delete, because they took up too much room. Thats why I bought the hard drive

Cheers,
Tim

Mark Lanctot
2007-12-01, 15:10
It then stopped and said 'error copying cannot find specified path, find path'.

You're sure that new drive appears correctly?

When you went to the MP3 CD, what did you see? A folder or a series of files with an ".mp3" extension?

Timbo22
2007-12-01, 16:20
Thanks Mark,
Loaded okay but when I went to slimserver had to type in new drive, didnt know that. will have another go tomorrow.
Many thanks for your kind attention.
Cheers,
Tim.

Timbo22
2007-12-02, 04:14

Hi peejay,
Thankyou for your reply,
I am getting as far as copying from My Computer to Slimserver interface, but the only details I can find is LaCie(E:)which is the name of the new hard drive. How do I find the drive letter and do I incorporate it in the music folder info, or delete everthing in the info, and write LaCie(E:)which is what I have been doing? Also how do I find the folder path to the hard disc?
Thankyou again,
Tim.