PDA

View Full Version : SB on bedside - wifi radiation ?

y360
2007-11-28, 02:48
I'm about to get a second SB and place it on my bedside.
Is wifi still active when the SB is turned off via remote ?

slimpy
2007-11-28, 02:51
Yes, it's still connected to the network and slimserver.
The SB is never really off unless you unplug it from the mains.

-s.

JJZolx
2007-11-28, 03:09

Yes, you'll be cooked like a blackened piece of toast. Not all at one, mind you, but keep a watch in the mirror for burnt spots.

Fifer
2007-11-28, 05:21
Yes, you'll be cooked like a blackened piece of toast. Not all at one, mind you, but keep a watch in the mirror for burnt spots.

WiFi radiation burns mirrors? Imagine what it must do to humans!

mudlark
2007-11-28, 07:49
WiFi radiation burns mirrors? Imagine what it must do to humans!

Did you not know that the silvering on mirrors actually acts just like a satellite dish?

The mirror will tend to cause problems as any slight thinning of the silvering will be the source of a hotspot. The change in impedance of the surface will also result in orthogonal amplfication and re radiation of the energy towards anyone looking in the mirror.

Personally I limit looking into mirrors to less than 1 minute per day to keep my dose of radiation down.

Mike.

ds2021
2007-11-28, 08:28
Did you not know that the silvering on mirrors actually acts just like a satellite dish?

The mirror will tend to cause problems as any slight thinning of the silvering will be the source of a hotspot. The change in impedance of the surface will also result in orthogonal amplfication and re radiation of the energy towards anyone looking in the mirror.

Personally I limit looking into mirrors to less than 1 minute per day to keep my dose of radiation down.

Will mirrors burn the Squeezebox? How can we use wi-fi to better protect ourselves from this problem?

Ron F.
2007-11-28, 08:40
Watch for loss of hair as you get older. Maybe it is caused by wifi radiation. I have had one of the SB3s I purchased beside my bed for a year now, and I have lost a significant amount of hair on top during that period.

Wifi.

-Ron

Fifer
2007-11-28, 09:15
Watch for loss of hair as you get older. Maybe it is caused by wifi radiation. I have had one of the SB3s I purchased beside my bed for a year now, and I have lost a significant amount of hair on top during that period.

Wifi.

-Ron

My SB never had hair on top. Is it faulty?

Skittler
2007-11-28, 10:08
To be accurate, the SB3 radiation doesn't cause hair loss; it causes hair generation to migrate to parts of the body furthest away from the SB3.

As you find less hair on top of your head, you'll discover it has migrated to your back, ears, nose, etc, i.e. places you never had any hair before and that are slightly further down the body.

I'm thinking of buying a Transporter and placing it on a table at the foot of my bed. I'll never play anything through it but after a couple of years I hope that I'll be able to visit the barber's and actually get my money's worth.

iPhone
2007-11-28, 11:19

Can you turn your SB3 on from your PC, yes you can so Wifi is always active unless the SB3 is unplugged. But who should care unless one is using the SB3 as a pillow? Your body is not resonant at the wireless frequency anyway (more importantly not your head). RF energy is Non-ionizing radiation. Non-ionizing radiation is not cumulative in the first place so as long as one is away from it and not constantly exposed to it, one starts over each day at zero exposure.

And now for good old common sense, did your SB3 come with any red diamond shaped RF Radiation hazard stickers on it? Mine didnít. As far as the human body is concerned, the RF output of the TP/SB is almost non-existent.

The bodyís overall resonant frequency is mainly between 85 to 95 MHz for RF energy fields and falls off sharply above 105 MHz and below 75 MHz. The OSHA Maximum Permissible Exposure at 3 GHz is 1 mW/cm squared. This MPE means that one can be exposed to this level continuously without hazard. Devices that transmit in and above that level must have warning signage and most require a license.

SB3 and Transporter are unlicensed FCC part 15 consumer devices.

nicketynick
2007-11-28, 11:48
Huh, there's always some smart-alec with a technical answer.

mudlark
2007-11-28, 12:08
Just for the avoidance of doubt, my comments were supposed to be humorous.

If you can avoid radio waves then you are in a lead box and dead anyway.

I am not aware of any evidence that wi-fi is dangerous.

Mike. BSc and bar

y360
2007-11-28, 13:01
I found out that FCC exposure limits require a distance of 20 cm (7.9 inches)

Dell laptop doc states:
keep a distance of at least 20 cm between you (or any other person in the vicinity) and the antenna that is built into the notebook.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/topics/offers/merchandising/uk/en/vodafone_offers?c=uk&cs=RC1050264&l=en&s=lca&~ck=anavml&~tab=5

Linksys WRT54GL router has this on its user guide

To comply with the FCC and ANSI C95.1 RF exposure limits, the antenna(s) for this
device must comply with the following:
Access points with 2.4 GHz integrated antenna must operate with a separation distance of at least 20 cm from all persons

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:GglvWrtCcCoJ:web.mit.edu/ghudson/manuals/WRT54G-manual.pdf+linksys+wrt54gl+user+guide&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

mvalera
2007-11-28, 14:01
20cm is about 8 inches.

As long as you aren't using your Squeezebox as a pillow I think you'll be safe.

If not you can always get some of those nifty tin-foil PJ's.

Mike

thomsens
2007-11-28, 14:08
20cm is about 8 inches.

As long as you aren't using your Squeezebox as a pillow I think you'll be safe.

If not you can always get some of those nifty tin-foil PJ's.

Mike

Doesn't address those of us who work on wireless laptops all day...sometimes on our laps.

mudlark
2007-11-28, 15:47
Doesn't address those of us who work on wireless laptops all day...sometimes on our laps.

Cooked nadgers my dear boy.

You need a metal tea tray or foil lined troosers. (The troosers to be worn on the legs.)

The other way of improving the situation is to use a wireless lan extender and put the extender at least 200mm from your wedding tackle.

mvalera
2007-11-28, 15:50

The OP was about a bedside squeezbox, but for you I still recommend the tin-foil PJ's... just wear them under your pants.

Mike

mudlark
2007-11-28, 16:00
The OP was about a bedside squeezbox, but for you I still recommend the tin-foil PJ's... just wear them under your pants.

Mike

How about a metal codpiece? I will be marketing these for all worried folk. They should be lined with lambs wool to prevent chaffing.

bonze
2007-11-28, 16:18
How about a metal codpiece? I will be marketing these for all worried folk. They should be lined with lambs wool to prevent chaffing.If you can line one with beaver, even better!

defnk
2007-11-28, 19:39

As poor old consumers, we usually don't find out about harmful effects until its too late...!

peter
2007-11-28, 23:09
defnk wrote:
> y360;245751 Wrote:
>
>> I'm about to get a second SB and place it on my bedside.
>> Is wifi still active when the SB is turned off via remote ?
>>
>
> As poor old consumers, we usually don't find out about harmful effects
> until its too late...!
>

Sure, don't try anything until it's proven safe.
Try not to starve in the meantime.
Anti-technology superstition is getting very popular.

Regards,
Peter

mparry
2007-11-29, 10:47
Radiation is not the only thing to worry about just ask these guys:
http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

jaysung
2007-11-30, 13:04
Just to become serious again.
I see two possibilities:
- using ethernet and then shutting down wifi by firmware (implement it Logitech!)
- or removing the wifi-mini-pci module from the unit (which apparently people have done

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-30, 13:13
- using ethernet and then shutting down wifi by firmware (implement it Logitech!)

Already done, the wireless module does shut down when wireless networking is used.

bephillips
2007-12-04, 21:54
http://www.wellingtongrey.net/miscellanea/archive/2007-05-27--the-truth-about-wireless-devices.html?a