PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer And Windows Media Player

Corneloues
2007-11-27, 07:05
I'm thinking of buying a SlimDevice for my living room. However my music is not stored on a PC, but on a Win2k3 server.

I've had issues with this already as Windows Media Player 11 does not work with Win2k3 (no uPnP) and media sharing on WMP11 only works with local media.

I am looking for a solution that will give me a centralised media server capabilty that will enable me to pick up my library from a number of devices, whether that be a SlimDevice, PS3, XBox 360 or PC (via WMP10/11).

Does SlimServer fit this or will WMP only see it as a URL to stream from? In other words, will SlimServer be seen as a shared media library by the fore mentioned hardware?

If not, are there any plans to do so?

Cheers,

Roy

Bas Horneman
2007-11-27, 07:41
You have to load the slimserver software on your win2k3 server. Then you can use a slimdevice to play your centralized music. For your xbox you'll have to use upnp. Don't know what ps uses.

Corneloues
2007-11-27, 08:26
I understand that I have to load the SlimServer softeare on the Win2K3 box, but what I want to know is whether I can use the MediaPlayer "shared library" interface to navigate the server or do I have to use a browser and stream.

The PS3 recognises uPnP libraries such as WMP11/MediaConnect. I am hoping SlimServer will be seen in the same way.

Cheers,

Roy

slimpy
2007-11-27, 08:47
The PS3 recognises uPnP libraries such as WMP11/MediaConnect. I am hoping SlimServer will be seen in the same way.
No, Slimserver cannot act as a UPNP server. You can only use the stream.mp3 URL with devices other than SB, Transporter and Roku Soundbrigde.

-s.