PDA

View Full Version : Crash on shuffle all songs



=?iso-8859-1?q?Darren=20Waters?=
2004-01-26, 09:19
Whenever I select all songs and suffle my slimp3
simply dies!
It hangs for about 30 secs or so and then the display
simply goes black.
The web browser hangs and then a minute or so later
producers the list of shuffled all songs.
I'm using 5.01.
This never happened under the old 4.6.2.
I have about 4,000 songs and I'm using iTunes to
manage the collection.
Can anyone help

Jack Coates
2004-01-26, 09:51
On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 08:19, Darren Waters wrote:
> Whenever I select all songs and suffle my slimp3
> simply dies!
> It hangs for about 30 secs or so and then the display
> simply goes black.
> The web browser hangs and then a minute or so later
> producers the list of shuffled all songs.
> I'm using 5.01.
> This never happened under the old 4.6.2.
> I have about 4,000 songs and I'm using iTunes to
> manage the collection.
> Can anyone help
>

That's load-related -- I've never seen it, but I have had similar
symptoms when another process takes an inordinate amount of system
resources.

OS? Hardware?

Turning on tag caching may help; I'm not sure if it's used in generating
playlists, though.
--
Jack at Monkeynoodle Dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
************************************************** *********************
*"You'll work harder with a gun in your back for a bowl of rice a day"*
*-- Holiday in Cambodia from Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death *
*by The Dead Kennedys *
************************************************** *********************

kdf
2004-01-26, 11:11
Quoting Jack Coates <jack (AT) monkeynoodle (DOT) org>:

> On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 08:19, Darren Waters wrote:
> > Whenever I select all songs and suffle my slimp3
> > simply dies!
> > It hangs for about 30 secs or so and then the display
> > simply goes black.
> > The web browser hangs and then a minute or so later
> > producers the list of shuffled all songs.
> > I'm using 5.01.
> > This never happened under the old 4.6.2.
> > I have about 4,000 songs and I'm using iTunes to
> > manage the collection.
> > Can anyone help
> >
>
> That's load-related -- I've never seen it, but I have had similar
> symptoms when another process takes an inordinate amount of system
> resources.
>
> OS? Hardware?
>
> Turning on tag caching may help; I'm not sure if it's used in generating
> playlists, though.

There will also be a new release in just a few days for 5.1. The release
candidate is already been marked and is available for testing. There have been
a number of improvements as far as caching which may help. I'm currently using
the latest developers' release with an Athlon 2000+, 512M ram under Linux.
Loading a 5000 song playlist, shuffled, takes just a few seconds.

-kdf

T
2004-01-26, 11:48
> There will also be a new release in just a few days for 5.1. The release
> candidate is already been marked and is available for testing. There have
been
> a number of improvements as far as caching which may help. I'm currently
using
> the latest developers' release with an Athlon 2000+, 512M ram under Linux.
> Loading a 5000 song playlist, shuffled, takes just a few seconds.

I just checked my system, 23,000 songs, also a matter of seconds.

Using the release from 24 Jan, XP Pro on 3.0GHz P4 w/ 1.5GB RAM, no page
file.

Tom