PDA

View Full Version : Can the Squeezebox 3 run off batteries?

chobbney
2007-11-26, 10:09
I keep reading how they can run off 4 AA batteries, but I can see no cover that can be removed to fit them.

Unless I have buy some strange tool to remove the whole back of the unit?

I'm probably being a chump about this, but I'm asking anyway.

Cheers.

amcluesent
2007-11-26, 10:31
Some people reckon that the standard power supply is a weak-link for the SB3. The battery mods and other hacks are strictly DIY things, not standard on the SB3.

chobbney
2007-11-26, 10:35
Ah. So it's 4 batteries in an external enclosure, powering the SB3 through the normal DC socket?

radish
2007-11-26, 10:57
Ah. So it's 4 batteries in an external enclosure, powering the SB3 through the normal DC socket?

Basically, yes. I've also seen versions using lead-acid I think.

ceejay
2007-11-26, 12:12
4 AA batteries (non-rechargeable) will give too much voltage, but not for long - they'll probably only last about 2 hours.

4 NiCd rechargeable batteries will last even less time, but that doesn't matter either because the voltage will be too low.

I'd love to know where you read that you could run an SB off AA batteries?

Ceejay

chobbney
2007-11-26, 16:56
It was somewhere on these forums.

I've had it clearly demonstrated to me the difference that various power supplies/elecrical noise has on a system (I know this is an emotive area) and I'm curious as to how I can improve the sound of my hi-fi.

I have no doubt it's a major factor (I understand those who are doubtful) and I'm keen to test various options. Including a larger battery.

haunyack
2007-11-26, 17:05
Vinnie at RWA offered SB Mods that included DC power supply. (lead acid)
He has since discontinued his SB mods.
Perhaps, bounce an email to Vinnie as he may have left-over stock.

pfarrell
2007-11-27, 11:52
I have no doubt it's a major factor (I understand those who are doubtful) and I'm keen to test various options. Including a larger battery.

If you had a motorcycle/scooter lead acid battery at 6V, it would probably work, you'd have to recharge it periodically. But those batteries are not cheap, I doubt it would make sense to buy one.

You'd really want a voltage divider to drop it to the proper voltage, which means throwing away power.

peejay
2007-11-27, 17:02
In the heady days after first receiving my new SB3, I tinkered endlessly with battery PSU options. In the end I used a simple circuit using a 7805 regulator to drop a sealed lead acid battery (the ones usually used in back-up circuits for house alarm systems) terminal voltage from 12 volts down to 5. At 1 amp, of course, we are dropping 7 volts across the device, so we have to dissipate (lose in heat) ~7 watts. As P.Farrel pointed out, this is a bit of a waste. Don't try this at home without a heatsink and order the regulator in the T0-3 case - it makes heat dissipation a little easier.
In the end, I could determine no sonic difference between the battery supply and the stock PSU, but tinkering is fun, so don't let me discourage you. As many have pointed out in this forum, the SB3 uses internal switching regulators in any case, so downsteam is out of your control....
Be aware that as soon as you plug any other voltage source into the SB3, you void the warranty...

pfarrell
2007-11-27, 23:03
In the heady days after first receiving my new SB3, I tinkered endlessly with battery PSU options. In the end I used a simple circuit using a 7805 regulator to drop a sealed lead acid battery

12V to 5 with just a 7805? wow, that is a lot of thrown away power. Did you try it with a simple voltage divider to throw away most of the 7 V before it got to the 7805? That's why I suggested a 6V battery, altho your idea is a lot more available.

Did you try assorted caps to filter out the noise that the 7805 generates?

It can be fun to hack around on this, but it probably more productive to buy and rip a couple more CDs.

peejay
2007-11-28, 17:55
12V to 5 with just a 7805? wow, that is a lot of thrown away power. Did you try it with a simple voltage divider to throw away most of the 7 V before it got to the 7805? That's why I suggested a 6V battery, altho your idea is a lot more available.

Did you try assorted caps to filter out the noise that the 7805 generates?

It can be fun to hack around on this, but it probably more productive to buy and rip a couple more CDs.
Actually I just pulled the circuit out of the junk bin...there's an indicator of how much I value this effort - it was an LM317, not a 7805..and yes I take your point about the power loss, etc etc. As I hinted, this was more an exercise in futlility than anything else....