PDA

View Full Version : Anything above .mp3 stutters, why?

aneki
2007-11-26, 05:47
Recently I started noticing I couldn't playback any of my .flac nor .ape files with my Squeezebox and I really couldn't figure out what was wrong. The files start out the first few seconds fine but then starts stuttering with a buffer at 0%. I realized the .mp3's played properly so I ran the network test plugin and noticed that 320kbps gives me 100% stable, but anything above that and it drops, 500 gives 70%, 1000 33%, 1500 20% and so forth. My server is connected to the network by wire but the squeezebox is wireless with a signal strength of 75%. I've had the box for almost half a year now and never had any problems 'til the last week or two. I haven't really changed anything on my server either, at least not what I can recall. I'm using Win XP on a fairly strong pc, tried slimserver 6.5.2 as well as the new 6.5.4.

I've looked through the forums and googled like a madman, I don't know where else to turn. What could be wrong?

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-26, 06:37
Sounds like a neighbor got a draft-n router and is blowing away your network. See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide

aneki
2007-11-26, 07:07
Read that and checked with netstumbler, most networks are running the same channel as I do, however I can't change mine as I got a useless router that's locked from my ISP. So I can't even change it to see if that's wrong. But why should a draft-n interfere with my network that much? There's solid concrete walls between the apartments btw.

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-26, 07:12
But why should a draft-n interfere with my network that much? There's solid concrete walls between the apartments btw.

That's exactly the sort of situation draft-n is designed to tackle.

Also there's solid concrete between my neighbors and myself but I can see their regular "g" network with almost as much strength as my own.

There may also be a new source of interference that's been established in your area - a new radio transmitter, a leaky microwave, cordless phones (which use 2.4 GHz and can squash "g" networks flat).

Your ISP is doing you a great disservice with that router. You should have full control over any piece of equipment that is inside your house - because as the situation is now, there's nothing you can do other than look into "homeplugs" (household powerline networking).

aneki
2007-11-26, 07:36
I tried connecting the squeezebox through wire and I still get the same results from the network test which confuses me a lot. Shouldn't I get 100% by using cat5?

Mark Lanctot
2007-11-26, 07:41
I tried connecting the squeezebox through wire and I still get the same results from the network test which confuses me a lot. Shouldn't I get 100% by using cat5?

Are you sure you switched to the wired network? You have to re-enter Network Settings, press and hold left for 5 seconds.

If you're truly on wired and you get this result, something is very wrong with your router.

aneki
2007-11-26, 07:50
I doublechecked and I am using it through wired network. I can test with another router this evening but until then I'm pretty lost. Anything else that could have borked?

aneki
2007-11-26, 09:34
I tried with another router and everything worked like a charm, wonder why the other one "broke down" the way it did. Either way, thanks for the input, glad it's sorted now.

slimkid
2007-11-26, 10:27
I tried with another router and everything worked like a charm, wonder why the other one "broke down" the way it did. Either way, thanks for the input, glad it's sorted now.

If you can, make sure that the wireless mode is disabled on the first router before you test it. I have found that even wired transmission can be affected by 2.4 GHz cordless phone, if the router is open to wireless traffic.

K

SuperQ
2007-11-26, 11:59
If you can, make sure that the wireless mode is disabled on the first router before you test it. I have found that even wired transmission can be affected by 2.4 GHz cordless phone, if the router is open to wireless traffic.

K

Yikes, sounds like a poorly designed router.. what one did you have that did that? I have never seen that on my linksys/netgear routers. (Or my home-brew soekris routers)

slimkid
2007-11-27, 07:32
Yikes, sounds like a poorly designed router.. what one did you have that did that? I have never seen that on my linksys/netgear routers. (Or my home-brew soekris routers)

D-Link, DI-524. My phones bases's and router's antennas (or is it antennae ;) ) are a few feet apart, and my music server looses network connection every time I use the phone in that room.

K